how often do you change your oil on your 250f?

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
how many hour do you go before changing the oil, i usually go about 8-10 before i change is this to long of an interval? also what oil are you guys using? i have been using yamalube 20w40. might try amsoil though.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I change my oil every 2.5 hours, and if it's a severe race (sand, long tracks ill do it every 1.5-2.0) I measure with my hour meter :cool:

I broke the bike in with Yamalube and I now use Amsoil V-TWIN 20w50 Synthetic oil.

I used to run the Amsoil Severe service racing oil, but after calling amsoil they reccomended the v-twin stuff because it's made for wetclutch systems.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Running about 4-5 hours b/w changes. I'm not a racer, revver, or clutch abuser at all so I'm not what I'd consider hard on the engine. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I change mine w/ 15/50 Mobil red cap according to the manual which is every 5 rides or 1000km. Usually works out to about every 20 hours or once a month. The oil looks decent when I do change it, so I always wonder why all of you change it after every ride. What do I know? Nothing probably.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Bandit9
so I always wonder why all of you change it after every ride.

The 250Fs are incredibly prone to wearing the crank main bearings and big end rod bearings. When the mains wear the machined surfaces where the crank and bearing meet tend to be destroyed, forcing a replacement of the complete crank assembly. Those expensive titanium valves have a way of getting intimate with the piston in these situations.

Make your own call, but clean oil is cheap insurance in a motor that turns 13,000+ RPM.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
when you guys say mobil 1 are you using automotive oil or is it motorcycle oil? i have never seen mobil one motorcycle oil, i always use mobil 1 in my cars though with excellent results.

wrooster

Feb 12, 2001
the correct mobil synthetic for your wet clutch thumper is mobil 1 15W-50 NON-EC "red cap". the mobil 1 15W-50 weight does not contain "energy conserving" friction modifiers and thus is suitable for a wet clutch bike. as far as i know, ALL other mobil 1 synthetics have the friction modifiers. you can verify that a given oil is non-friction modified by looking at the data sheet on the manufacturer's web site, OR by looking at the lower part of the API "service circle" on the oil bottle itself. if the words "Energy Conserving" appear in the API circle, it's probably not good oil for wet clutch applications. the mobil 1 15W-50 is readily identified by it's RED CAP. if you are lucky, you can get a 5 QT jug of 15W50 RED CAP in Walmart for US$18.88 or so.

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f (>2500 miles with m1 15w50)

Top Bottom