How soon did you return to racing after broken collarbone?

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Ok, I broke my right collarbone on July 3rd while riding my 4 wheeler on some trails down in PA. :bang: I've been off all bikes/quads since. I just took my CR250 around the yard today to see how I'd feel on it, and I felt ok. Not real aggressive riding, no jumps to speak of, and only about 10 min.

Now, I see the doctor on the 4th, but theres a race tomorrow I want to race. It's been almost 8 weeks exactly. The last time I saw the Dr. (4 weeks ago), she said I might be ok to race come Sept. I'm leery about racing tomorrow without having that final X-ray and "thumbs up" from the Dr. I'm looking for other people's input regarding their experience with this (so, if you race, and you broke your CB, how long were you out for?). If the consensus is "it's too soon", then I won't race. If the response is more positive, then I might...... :coocoo:

I think if I just take it easy on the jumps and in the right-hand corners I'll be at minimal risk, but I definately don't want a re-injury! I can't be outta work another 8 weeks. Opinions please? Thanks!

BTW, it was a mid-shaft break, no complications, "no big deal" according to the E-room doc when I went in after breaking it.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
My honest opinion would be to skip this up coming race. I know that sounds tough to do, and I don't even know if I could follow my own advice. :whoa: But look at it this way:

If you do race tomorrow and you hurt yourself again, how many races will you have to miss?

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
I'm 35. I decided to skip this weekend's race, and instead I'm taking the kids trail riding in PA. I figure this will give me a chance to ride the bike at a more civil pace to see how my body reacts. Then I'll see the Doc on the 4th, and make a decision for next weekend after that.

I've had broken bones before (2 ribs, femur, tib/fib), but this is my first collarbone, so I don't really know how long it takes (on average - I get conflicting info: the E-room doc told me 6-8 wks, my doc says 8-10 wks, on the internet I've seen from 4-12 weeks!). I know if I was alot younger it would heal faster. I certainly don't want to re-injure it. With my ribs, I was back in a few weeks. My femur had me down a long time, and my tib/fib had me out for 5-6 months - but they all have hardware, the collarbone doesn't.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I can wait a few more weeks if I have to, just to be safe.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Well, I'm happy to report that I returned to racing last weekend, and raced 4 motos (2 classes, Senior C & 250 Beginner). I got 14th out of 20 my 1st moto in Sr. C, then went from 6th to 9th (last) in 250 Beginner (due to a crash, on the right side of course - collarbone ok, elbow/forearm badly bruised!). 2nd Sr. C moto I was last place (20th) - as I was tired and hurting. Last moto in 250 Beginner left me next-to-last place in 8th. So, my overalls were 16th out of 20 in Sr. C, and 9th (last) in 250 Beginner. All in all, I'm very satisfied with these results, especially considering that my best ever finish before was 13th out of 18, and the last time I tried to double class I didn't even race the last moto!

The collarbone was a little tender, and my right elbow/forearm is badly bruised, but I made it thru and seem to be ok. Looking forward to racing again tomorrow! So, it was only 9 weeks out for me. And only 1 crash out of 4 motos.....damn mud ruts got me.....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Diesel,do not look at the ruts,you will fall everytime! Plan your rut ahead of time,go for it and keep looking ahead,and on the gas! I can not wait till a year is up and I can get this damn thing OUT! Keep progressing,and having fun!

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Fox- thanks for the advice. However, my race season is now over, as this past weekend I got tangled with another bike (he ran into me after a big jump - not sure if it was in the air or after I landed though, I can't remember). It was the last moto of the day, 250 Beginner. I got a good start and was running about 5th into the first corner. Came over the tunnel jump, and then someone came from the left and hit me, and that's all I remember. Supposedly, 4 of us went down, I got run over, and they red flagged the race. The good news is that I walked off the track. The bad news is that I re-broke the collarbone. Which, I guess, is better that breaking it in a new place. So, I'm back to square one. Again. So, mx is done for this year. By next season I should be fully healed up and in good health.

It really sucks though. My friends that race Sr. C with me keep telling me not to run in 250 Beginner because the kids in the class are all over the place and it's more dangerous. I suppose maybe they were right. I did well in my other 2 motos for Sr. C - overall 16th out of 24 - not bad. And no crashes. Oh well.........

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Wow! I broke mine on July 1st! I was jumping a handi-cap ramp on my mountain bike. How stupid is that?? I'm 43 and in good overall shape but a bit overweight. I'm big boned! :)

I was in a brace for 6 weeks and today it was 12 weeks since the accident. I was supposed to go back today, but really it snuck up on me. I've been back on my bike and bicycle since about 8 weeks, but have not been in race mode. Of course, you do not have to be in race mode to screw up. :| He cleared me to do anything I wanted at 6 weeks, but I felt I was too weak to ride either bike and it was still lake weather any way. This past weekend, my 3rd dirtbike ride, I rode fairly aggressive but I did not try any hill climbs that were too difficult. I rode within my limits. It's really something. My ortho is usually good about giving me some physical therapy. This time NONE. I could definately have benefitted from some, but honestly, I know what to do and have the band material to do it. I'm just too lazy. :whoa:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
When I was 35 I broke mine (along with a few ribs) and it was held in place (overlapping a bit) by a figure-8 brace that I wore *ALL* the time. At 5 1/2 weeks the ortho cleared me to ride. It was a good thing because that weekend was the Suth'n Spodefest of 2000! I was surprised at how well it did after just 6 weeks.

One of my favorite pictures from that weekend:

gomerjump2.jpg

Top Bottom