hod928

Mar 28, 2008
Hello, im about to buy a yz250f.The kid says he has a title but it is in his father's hand. He gave me the VIN number of the bike JYCG18C04A004414

How do i check the number?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You wont be able to check anything until you get the full vin, the one you posted is only 16 digits, the actual vin will be 17 digits.

What is it you want to check with the vin?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The not stolen part is somewhat dificult, you can try your local law enforcement office but there is no national database that I am aware of. We don't use titles up here but if they have the title in hand does that not mean it's clear of liens?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The VIN number is certainly not correct, and it would appear that a digit is missing in the first 10 as the 10th digit would indicate the year and the "A" in the 10th digit of that number is not likely (1980?)

Like Chili said, checking to see that it is not stolen is difficult unless you have a contact at a law enforcement agency. I once tried to check a VIN number: I went to DMV and they told me that they couldn't run the number unless I was actually registering the vehicle. They referred me to the California Highway Patrol. CHP told me that they were not allowed to divulge any such information, privacy acts and such.

It seems odd to me that in this day of computer networks they can't put a database of stolen VINs online. Nothing that would provide any personal information, just a "GOOD / BAD" response.

I would doubt that there would be a lien against a dirt bike due to the fact that registration is not required in all states.

Rod

Top Bottom