How to lower the sub frame on my 03 CR250?

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
Im about 5'6" -5'7" 155lbs. I just recently purchased an 03CR250 and I love the power but Im still having trouble touching the ground on the thing. I can touch with my tippy toes but thats about it. I already shaved down the seat a little, but I was reading about people drilling a new sub frame hole or something like that. How would I go about doing this on my cr250, I would like an RC Replica if possible. also would I be able to raise the rear shock spring a little to bring the bike closer to the ground?..any pics or detailed instructions would be extremely helpful to me. thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need to elongate the lower subframe holes to drop the rear of the bike-i put up a pic of my rm125 in the mod section-try a search.

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
On my CR250 the subframe fits into a notch in the Large aluminum frame and is bolted down..If I was to elongate this hole..the subframe wouldnt be able to be pushed down because it would slam into the notch in the main frame. Do you have to cut or shave down the ends of the subframe to prevent this from happening?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Your cr is the same as my 99. What I had to do was weld up the holes in the subframe. Then I re-drilled new holes as close to the end of the flat section as possible. Then I cut off the excess at the bottom and ground it nice and round to fit in the frame. I ended up lowering the rear fender about 3/4". I am 5'6", and it made a big difference. I also shaved the seat about 1" also. I can touch the ground much better than before.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
talk to the guys at mx-tech (a drn sponsor) - i have talked to them about lowering my 03crf450 (plan to do it this winter) and they said nothing of welding, etc... it all sounded very simple as in changing out some parts.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You can lower the suspension internally but you loose some travel, with the subframe mod you do have to remove the excess on the lower holes to get it to clear the main frame.Some bikes have the room others dont, the rm i think only needed one side clearancing.

slyracing

Sep 24, 2004
you can lower any bike who have dog-bone type junction between pivot link and swing-arm
simply cut the dog-bone in middle and add 1/4 of inch of a steel flat bar who it`s the same
thinkness of the dog-bone and weld it ,whit tig or mig welder,you could reinforce the dog-bone
by adding small piece of steel flat bar each side of the dog-bone.this should be lower your
bike between 1 1/2 to 3 inch according to the swing-arm/shock ratio and don`t forget
to raise the front fork leg into the triple clamp as much as you could to balance the bike.
this is no expensive and you could still bought new dog-bone to put it stock again
longer is the dog bone lower is the seat,but don`t go more than a 1/2 of inch.
i did that on lot of kdx and kx and on several custom roadbike.
p.s dog-bone must be in steel may be to risky whit alu one

Top Bottom