how to make clutch cover look nice

wizard69

May 3, 2001
hello all I think i will be selling my bike soon and it looks very good exept one thing.My clutch and ignition covers look bad all scratched and stuff.how can I make them look good?I don't think painting them would be good.also I know an ignition cover is easy to take off all you do is take the screws out but how do you take the clutch cover off?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
You will also have to buy a gasket for the cover. Other than that it just unscrews and i believe on the '90 yz125 it had some metal placement collars or whatever you call those.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
what is the difference between sand balasting and bead blasting?would they look much different after?
what are those metal collars?were do they go?
thanx.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Wizard, are you planning on getting a new bike? Umm, the collars usually go on the bolts, I think:p . Here's a funny story; the first night I got my CR, I started taking everything apart...I took off the clutch cover and I couldn't ride for a week (the time it took us to get oil).

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I don't know I realy don't want to stop dirtbiking but I need to save for a truck.I think I will stop dirtbiking for a year or so.I don't want to but I need a good vehicle to.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Sand blasting is normaly dome with actual sand and bead blasting is done with glass beads (very small). Basically the same process just a different media used to remove the paint / rust etc.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by HiG4s
Hint!! drain the oil first!!

I've seen people just lay the bike over and remove the cover so oil wouldn't leak. I don't know that I would leave it exposed to the elements too long.

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
I just leave them alone so the next guy knows what he's buying. That will always keep the next guy from accusing you of be a "liar" after you sold it to him....Just .02 worth:D

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Had a 96 RM, ratty lookin covers. Got some abrasive disks made by 3M.
They just go in the chuck of a drill, took the covers off, about ten minutes later they had a real nice kind of satin finish, looked good, or much better than before it anyway.

Top Bottom