How To Prevent Heat Exhaustion/Hitting the Wall?

mgorman

May 8, 2000
Maybe you should ride baby thump, it won't work you as hard as that 300!!

I ended up 3rd, I was running a strong 2nd untill a lapper took me out on a hill side. By the time I got it upright and in a position to kick it, it wouldn't start. While I was doing the kicking thing, Rady Hale blew by on the yosh drz and dropped mr to 3rd. I crashed two more times and time just wasn't on my side.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Smokin Joe i bet you are too tense when your on the bike. Grip the bars only enough to keep them on track. Dont lean the bike, let the bike lean. Clear jumps you can clear and dont case stuff. Fly thru whoops and take the smoothest lines. Drink lots and lots of water the day before you ride and dont work out strenuously , dont lay around the house but maybe a light jog or bike ride.

Smokin Joe

Sponsoring Member
Apr 21, 2000
It was the Meds!!!!

I just ran The Train Robber's Enduro in Arkansas this past weekend and did pretty well , houring out at the last check 4 miles from the finish without getting sick. Conditions were 85 degrees at the start and about 95 when I finshed with constant high humidity. The difference this time is that I went off all meds for a week and then went to my doc and told him that he'd better find me a bp med that didn't affect my stamina. I started on a new one but not sure if I've built up to the therapeutic level yet but ift definitely cut down on the negative side affects. The reason I went off all meds is that I went to donate blood and my bp checked out high and was still high 3 days later when I tried again. I figured WTH, why put up with side affects if the med is not doin the job! Within 3 days I was feeling like 300% better (high bp has no symptoms) and my bp wasn't any higher than when I was turned down at the blood bank.

You see, I've had high Blood Pressure (hypertension) for 18 years, ever since I was 24. It turned out to be a genetic thing. They've had me on numerous meds to control my bp; beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, Angiotensin receptor blockers etc. All had side effects, some severe and not all brought my bp down. The whole issue of hittin the wall became noticeable when I started into jujitsu with my daughter. Very physical 90 minute sessions with a lot of judo type throws. About half to two-thirds trough I would began gettin nauseated, dizzy, weak, etc. At the time I attritbuted it to poor conditioning and didn't push the issue with my doc. In hindsight I really should have.

The moral of the story is you know more about your own body than than the docs do and if they won't listen either be persistant or find one that will listen.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
I had the same problem with an allergist. The goof kept wanting to open my sinuses up so I could breath better. I origionaly went there because he was supposed to be the best and I always had a runny nose. He tried all kinds of meds that didn't work. He tried some procedure once to open up my sinuses and it didn't work and then he said he was going to do it again. I told him the problem wasn't restriction. I asked him why he wanted the cavity opened up more when my problem was running nose. he couldn't answer so I left and never went back.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
Trust me, there was no promptness in my paying of the bill. I doubt that it put much of a dent in his fat wallet.

I do have a surgon/sports doc that I go to and he has always been a no-bones about it strait up about every thing and is very knoledgable about mx injuries. he has never done me wrong the 4 times I've had to go to him. One of the few doctors I trust. Chiropractors are not on my list of loved ones either.

dozer

Dec 18, 2000
Mgorman, how does your medical professional react to riding a motorcycle at your age? I know that you are younger than me but I am curious because I had a nurse ask me why at my age I would continue to participate in what she thought was a dangerous sporting activity. This was when I was about your age and the sport I was playing was basketball. I was visting the dr. with a broken finger from a YMCA pick up game.

My opinion is that off road riding is an outstanding workout and really helps a person stay in shape and have fun at the same time. I snow ski also and can say that I feel much safer on the bike with protective equipment than I do on the slopes dealling with the weekend racers on skis and snowboards. Too bad the rest of society does not see it that way.

I started drinking a mix of lemon juice, gatorade, water, and ice during haresrambles and have seen some improvement. Last two races made it through ok. Still happens when at the pool doing laps though.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
The only one to say anything was a chiropractor. He was actually trying to keep me from coming back. I used to have a problem every now and then with pulling ribs out of place. It felt like bruising them. It made it very hard to breath.

As far as the danger part goes, I can testify that I have spent more hours in the ER and in pain from BMX than any other two wheel sport. The tracks we race on are hard packed dirt rolled in with a paving roller. Two years ago I was clocked at 32 mph hitting the tabletop in the first turn. I wear the same helmet and chest protector but it is just like hitting pavement, it doesn't give. I have had my kidneys bruised 3 times and numerous concussions from bicycling (all wearing helmets) and only a few major injuries in 19 years of dirtbike racing. (lots of bumps and bruises not included).

I used to use BMX for skills and heart training along with road riding but as of late have not made it to the BMX track much. A quarter mile sprint over jumps at 25mph will get the heart going. Now my wife has been pestering me to start running again for a triathlon team. I did one triathlon a few years back and have had no desire to try that again since the 1000 meters I swam was longer than all the swims I ever did in my life ever added up to. I bought a home gym and need to get in the habit of working my upper body some more. If you have a local track that has mx practice, do it. Go out and start doing 40 minute moto's with little rest will get you worked up pretty good and it helps with your timing and speed acclimation.

My step son just did his 1st mx practice and was stoked. Then he was dead tired 2.5 hours later.

Dozer, baby thump made the entire 3 hour scramble last weekend plus about 15 laps around broken spokes mx track before I had to put it on reserve.

Big Game the 24th???

dozer

Dec 18, 2000
I heard about your reputation on a bicycle but did not realize you hit the ground so many times. Sounds like a good idea that you switched to the motorized version.

I will be at Big Game for sure the 24th. My nephew is coming up with my sister that weekend. He'll be at the race while my sister is at the baby shower Sunday. I'm suppose to be at the shower by 2:00. So I'll have to run right after the race.

Good news on baby thumper.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
My last hard hit was at the Presidents Cup/Christmas National where I hit the ground when my front tire came down after wheelying thru some whoops. I sat it down as I entered the corner and it tristed the bars from my hands and flipped me. This was one hour after a big earth compacter went around the track. I haven't raced since and haven't missed it.

Turrra just informed me that they are racing the triathlon in Sept. I gotta go get my butt in gear...

I am hoping that the running will elevate my stamina back to where it once was and be a good test to see if this whole post can bennefit from it. I just know that to train for a two hour event, you need to train to a point that is longer than two hours. With getting into distance running and running long motos on weds. I hope to get back to being a threat on the starting line.

Top Bottom