john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
I got a chance to buy a 2001 husaberg 501 with a street-kit already installed, verymlow miles for $4500 out the door. Electric start, 242 lbs.Any opinions would be appreciated, the other Euro bikes are costly. I priced tge KTM 450 EXC new at $8000,00 street legal out the door. 51 years old I think this bike could help me win the senior citizen class. maybe???

Anssi

May 20, 2001
At least here in Finland Husabergs have not yet shed the bad rep for being unreliable. We had a -00 FC501 in whose engine the crank ate away at the bearings in the cases or some such after only maybe 30-40 hours of riding. Bad.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Good advice?

Buy a KTM.

Be careful how you wash the 501-water runs straight down the frame, into the filter then into the carb.

The header pipes are vulnerable in crashes. My friend has replaced two so far at considerable expense.

The frame and subframe are one piece. If you bend the sub frame its a whole new frame.

My local dealer is only selling Husaberg whilst he waits for the KTM franchise!

I liked the ride of the 501 but its nowhere near as good as my 520.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
I had a 01 fx 470 and it was an interesting bike. Parts support was an issue because most of the Husaberg dealers were or are dumping the line-mark-up on parts wasn't enough, plus they didn't sell well. My comments on the bike-good power, good handling, suspension needs work, swingarm kept filling with water when washed. Frequent oil changes are critical. Suggest you ask the same question on www.husaberg.org.

build quality was not as good as a KTM-kinda cobby. Lots of little things to tinker with.

The price is good-if you like the bike, go for it...but know it requires alot of maintenance.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Is it used?

If so you should compare the price to a used 01' 520, not a brand new 450. You might also be able to find a good deal on a brand new 02 520, since the 525's and 450's are out :thumb:

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
The price is a little high. Knock off $500. Husies have no resale. I expect big things from Husaberg now that production is moving to Austria. R&D is still in Sweeden.

MACFEAR

Jun 12, 2002
Hmmm. I've owned 2 bergs -- a 97 FC501 and (currently) an 01 FC470. Never had any problems. But yes, they are finniky. If you don't mind tuning and maintainence you'll love the bike like nothing else. If you don't like working on your bike or choose not to, don't buy a berg.

Anssi, when will the Fin's let it go? I've heard this story from 50 different people over there. A motor broke, it happens, get over it.

HUSABERG 501

Aug 5, 2000
Hey macfear I also owned a 97 FC 501 and currently own a 2001 FC 470. I've also had (knock on wood) great luck ith both machines. I due mantain them and check things out before every ride/race. I love em and as long as the Bergs are being produced don't think I'll ever buy a different make. have you seen the 03's yet?

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
thanks men, but i passed on the 501. A few freinds of mine tried to talk me out and I found a 2001 ktm 400 mxc low hours for 4500. I owned the bike a week now and found out today that the previous owner didnt tell me that at 5 months old the water pump broke, overheated and blew the top end, the dealer fixed it after some arguing they shared the cosst 50/50. I called the dealer today and he told me the repairs are as good as new. Too late anyway, moral of story anything can go wrong and you cant please everyone??? I got most of the parts to make the bike street legal but its costing me than I thought. If you want to play you got to pay. Thank for all the advice...

Top Bottom