how to hook up a battery on a WR426 ?

Phreakster

Jan 6, 2002
I am trying to install a battery to operate my headlight and tail light as well as turn signals and horn. (2001 WR426F)
I need some help with the wiring set up, I am assuming that the leads going to the headlight come directly from the lighting coil via the headlight switch? What I would like to do is hook the battery up inline using those (headlight) leads to keep the battery charged and then hook additional wires to the battery and also supply power to the components via a dual sport switch from Baja designs (controlling the headlight, tail light, turn signals and horn). My question’s are:
(1) does anyone know how much voltage the lighting coil puts out? And is it regulated at precisely 12 volts?
(2) do I need to hook up some kind of voltage regulator to keep the battery from overcharging?
The battery likes to float around 13.2 volts for maximum life and efficiency. If anyone has decent electronics experience maybe you can help me out here?
I have pieced together everything needed to make my WR street legal for a pretty reasonable price and I will gladly share my sources and component list with anyone interested, but basically it has cost me less than $125.00 for everything (not including a regulator should I need it) sure beats the hell out of spending $350.00 + for a Baja Designs kit
Thanks
Dauv

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
why do you need a battery? can't you just hook everything up from the coil? it's got enough juice to run brake lights and a head light,i'd think at the most a regulator,but the break light volts should not be too much for turn signals? just thinking out loud.

mnbaja

Dec 20, 2000
He is probably trying to make it street legal. A battery is required for this. My clue was the horn. Sorry I couldn't help phreakster.

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
To have the bike signed off for street use in CA the lights need to stay on for either 10 or 15 minutes without the bike running.

Top Bottom