squid

Oct 26, 1999
Anyone who rides a "berg", I'm interested in them and have the basic questions.. How does it handle? How's the weight? How's the power? For eastern enduros ,501 or 400? How does it start,when cold, when hot, after dumping it?
In General give me a review of your "take" on the whole Husaberg line up.. Thanks.

Last edited:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I have a Berg. They are very light and very fast. If you are looking for a bike for eastern woods riding I would look at the 400. I think even the 501 may be to much. The bikes handle pretty well and for a 4-stroke seem pretty easy to turn or "flicky". If you want a non electric start bike you might take a look at the FC470. My FC550 starts within 3 kicks cold and first kick hot. You cant flood it by opening the throttle when its not running (unlike the bikes with pumper carbs). The Husabergs seem to be built very well and use only the best equipment. Another upside is the fact that Husaberg will stand behind their product for many many years (so no worries if something breaks). I dont think Husaberg has the E-start thing mastered yet so you may want to consider a kick only bike. Dont be affraid of the left side kick thing they start very easy. The first ride I took my 380 on I looked like a spode trying to kick the "normal" right side kick bike. I still reach down for the left side.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
I will let you know squid, I just bought a new fe400e. I wont pick it up for a week or so but I will post my comments. I have had a lot of great feedback from husaberg owners so I hope I am as pleased as they are.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by scrambler220
Don't be surprised if Husabergs hit a growth spurt in the US soon...
]
I loved my 'berg a 95 501, and after Lineaweaver it made 53 rwhp.
But the growth of husaberg is very tied into its connection with KTM, IMHO.
I believe that husaberg is KTM R&D.
They snagged a great head from them, Huh?
The only growth spurt they hit is what big brother orange wants.
I apologize in advance for any stubbed toes here.
If husaberg grows it is an orange world in absentia.

Last edited:

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
I couldn't comment on the current politics of Husabrg/KTM, but I remeber the buzz when KTM bought them. It was widely held that KTM wanted husaberg to help them with their failing four stroke program. At the time it was all about Husaberg and Husky when it came to four strokes. Looks like their investment is begining to pay some dividends!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Husaberg got the good end of the stick, ain't it funny?
Their stuff if 100% more sick since their(pumpkin) infusion.
IMHO...

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
I agree that Husaberg has gained from the KTM ownership, but I think that it was Husaberg R+D with KTM $ that made it work: KTM gets the lightwieght thumper and Husaberg gets help with cheap(er) parts and mass production. A mutually beneficial relationship. Anyway...I agree with 380E/XCman that you want the 400, but disagree with him about the E-start. Mine has been trouble-free. O.K., I had to clean the paint away from the ground connection and keep an eye on the other connections (normal with any E-start system, I think), but other than that it always works. It's really nice to just push the button after a crash or stall. Way faster than kicking :aj: The bike is truly a joy to ride. The counterbalanced motor takes away the gyro-effect that you expect from a motor with more than 250cc and all those valves+cam+cam chain spinning around... Feels way lighter than the KTM 400 on the trail. If you can handle changing the oil and drying the ignition after every ride (maybe 2 rides for the oil?) and adjusting the valves every 10 hours or so (1/2 hour job) the bike will be very reliable. It is designed and built to be easy to work on. Check out this forum for some good Husaberg info>>>>click<<<<I love mine ;) It's a high maintainence love affair, but the power, handling, quality, and easy speed are amazing.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I think that Husaberg is on the right track. According to the magazine articles I have read the quality and reliability of the bikes are improving greatly. As for their growth the former GAS GAS distributor is now importing Husabergs and is already setting up new dealers. My Husky dealership is getting their first shipment in two weeks. If you want the closest thing to a two stroke in a four stroke package the Berg is the way to go.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The berg might be two-stroke-like in that it's light, but at least my dad's -00 FC501 had very much the traditional four-stroke powerband, as does my -02 520 SX that I got based on a large part on my experience with the berg.

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
but at least my dad's -00 FC501 had very much the traditional four-stroke powerband
I agree completely. The powerband on my 400 has no real hit anywhere, just smooth power from idle to redline. If you whack the throttle open it doesn't spin the wheel or do anything dramatic, it just starts accelerating (rapidly). Very nice.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I agree that no four stroke is like a two stroke but Bergs seem to rev quicker than any other 4 stroke according to every test I have read. Any way you look at it the Bergs are nice but I will stick with a two stroke while I still have the chance.

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
tiger, the GGNA deal is exactly what I was hinting at.

The way I understand it, the guy that owns 90% of Husaberg works for KTM, but other than that, the two companies are in no way tied together.

Top Bottom