snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hi all

Looking for opinions…

Is a Husky CR 250 ’00 a fun play/offroad bike??? How is the power-spread of the engine, forks, shock exc. for, well everything except motocross -- J

How is the reliability and how hard is getting parts???? Is the bike on the heavy side for a 250 MX??

The last 2-stroke bike I had was a older KX 250 that I liked a lot. Has anyone a idea of how the Husky compares???

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Overall quality is good on the Husky, I'd look for a 2001 or 02 if I were you. The head angle changed in 01 and the bike turns better. Also, you can run the forks at 15mm up in the clamps and that helps. Could get a bit sketchy at speeds over 70-75 though. I ride the 02 te570 and I run mine at 15 mm up and the bike tracks well at 76 PMH plus. Parts are getting better on the newer ones too. You can get them through the mags or net.

Good luck and Overall for offroad I'd stick with the WR250 or Wr360 over the CR. If you get the CR look into a flywheel weight and maybe a pipe or porting. I like the 18" wheel over the 19" too, but we ride on sharp roack out here in the CA deserts.

Good luck

Ed

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks guys

Test rode the ’00 CR today and it felt OK. VERY soft suspension for a MX bike.

I’m still a bit worried if parts will be a problem. The Husky factory isn’t exactly a giant, and has had mayor problems in the last few years. Is the engine the same in ’04 as it was in ’00 ?

Also - any good Husky web sites out there ??

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I had a 00 wr250, an 02 wr250 and just got an 04 wr250...I know what I like :)... They progressed a long way between 00 and 02 especially with suspension and handling. The 04 has better suspension still. Power wise the 00 and 02 seemed about the same. The 04 seems to have an extra couple hp and is more responsive but still very smooth. I'm guessing there's been only minor changes to the engine over the 4 years. The 00 did have soft suspension imo... As for spares I guess it depends on your shop. I've never had any trouble.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Like Bud said, I too never had part problems, but I'm out here in California USA and we have three shops close by. Good luck in what ever you do.

Later DingoE

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
husqvarna

bud,I love my 00' WR250 but its gettin' time for a fresh ride.Why buy a new one when they look the same?my suspension is dialed and i would like to be able to stay in 3rd gear more but other then that tell me more about the new hoosky's

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
I love my '00 WR 250, with the suspension revalved it works great. My only thing is, sixth gear envy. When I ride my '82 250 WR with six speeds there is a gear for everything from goat trail to long road sections between trails. Once in awhile I look longingly at a Gas Gas 250 six speed, but I like my Huskys too much. I too have new bike fever(though I can't really afford one this year), I thought I'd join the 4t revolution with an '04 TE 250 or even an '01 TE400, but the 2t Huskys are just too light and nice though. Team Husky's Fred Hoess has started the National Enduro Series on an '04 WR 250(I think we all expected him to ride a TE 250) and will probably switch between it and a WR 125, as in the past. Yamaha Team rides 2t YZ 250 in most enduros and GNCC/HS, that says a lot. If it is being refined more each year, I guess I need to look more closely at '04 WR 250, though a six speed box would make it perfect! There is no good all Husky site. Craig at Husky Club should add a BB or maybe FlyingBob has enough energy and time to start a site.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Theyre pretty good bikes and good fun power and some parts will interchange with others . Hondas CR 250 piston kit works or Wiseco equivalent and you can use honda clutch plates too . the fork seals didnt seem to last too long though and the side # plates always fell off unless you zip tied or adeed an extra bolt or so. They made good power, fun bike , you could probably find one pretty cheap .

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
It would be a very easy bike to uprate. You could modify suspension to more recent specs. The plastics are interchangeable with all 2 stroke huskies 00 onwards and the new 4 strokes. Larger tank off the WR250/360 will fit right on. The engine goes way back so spares shouldn't be a problem. Lots of WR bits will fit.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks, great info

I did buy the bike and I’m very happy so far. The engine has strong bottom and midrange, very usable power. Not that much on top, but I don’t really care. The suspension is excellent, very soft for a MX bike. So far, so good…

The engine is supposed to be more or less the same on my ’00 and the new bikes. Does anyone know when husky started making this engine?? Maybe 1998??

FlyingBob

Jan 6, 2002
That bike ought to have a bunch on top! Play with your main jet or the needle position. I think there is a little different porting work and ignition mapping as you get newer. Enjoy.

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
arjay (or another husky expert) do you know how long back the engine goes?? Could one use a ’97 CR as a parts bike for a ’00 CR?

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
The actual engine crankcase & engine layout were in production in 1985 Cagiva WMX 250.The clutch cover is the off the Cagiva looks like it will fit!
However the engine has been evolved greatly & the crank & cylinders have changed a lot over the years.Different strokes & powervalves every few years.
The last changes occured mainly in 99 when a new cylinder powervalver & crank were introduced.The gearbox had some changes in 00-01 to improve shifting.The motor hauls ass & can be modified to run with anything out there.Possible to get 54Hp at the rear wheel.See tech forum for dyno readouts The engine is very reliable.
Footrests & kickstart wear out quickly, water pump seals go.Thats the lowdown.I have raced them for years drown them in rivers never had any issues tough cookie.
Although you would think 1985 is old.The KTM 250-300 motors dated back to 1990 when KTM introduced a motor strongly based on a Honda CR motor.

Top Bottom