crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I've never ridden with one, but pulled the lever on a KTM in the showroom. It was a lot easier to pull, but my best guess is that it is the rider's personal preference. There are ways to make a standard clutch pull easier. It doesn't fade because there is no cable to stretch, but is also just something else to break and I think that if the bike doesn't come with one no one bothers putting one on.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I rode a KTM with a hydraulic clutch on it..... I've been dreaming of having one ever since. It was SWEET. I wish I had $189 to throw away because if I did, I'd have one on my bike.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Personally I could care less about the hydrualic clutch I wasn't that impressed by how light it was to pull an RM clutch is still easier. The only thing I still think that is kewl about that setup is its alittle easier to maintain maybe, the biggest gain is constant engagement point. That and it is expensive to replace, it is easier to fix my cable clutch when I'm in a jam. Each setup has its cons and pluses I think in the long run a cable setup is cheaper.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Jap bikes don't come with hydraulic clutches because of the cost.
Same for Ohlins suspension and such. KTM, GasGas, TM ect. have
them because some people will pay a premium for higher quality parts. Yamaha is part owner of Ohlins, I don't see any stock Yammies with Ohlins,
it's the price.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
are you say jap bikes have junky parts? I hope Mr. Honda haunts you for the rest of your life lol. My honda will out last a those bikes any day. Dint you hear, it was a honda that ran over the energizer bunny?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I'd like to have one but it would just be another thing to maintain and break. Even the expensive clutch cables are only $25 and the clutch levers can be found at any dealer. Imagine breaking a hydraulic clutch lever when you're in a bind?? No thanks. Until my bike comes with one stock, I guess I won't be having one...

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
I did not say Jap bikes have cheap parts, my signature is RMXR after all.
My GasGas 300 has Ohlins, FMF, hydraulic clutch, nickel plated frame,WER
stock. Clutch levers are not expensive or difficult to find for hydraulic clutches.
Actualy every Jap bike made does have crap parts, cheesy bars, chains, and sprockets. The bike mags kill me talking about stock bar bends of those steel bars, like anyone does anything but put them aside for when they sell their bike.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I have gone through 5 crashes with my stock bars on my bike, still not bend....Enjoy you "Mercedes" of bikes. but remeber, Mercedes product breaks more than a honda ;)

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Joepro, your enthusiasm is great, but those bars are not gonna make it much longer. I'm thinking all 5 of your crashes were pretty low impact and before you get to 10 I bet those bars are assymetrical. BTW I ride a Honda but I don't fool myself into thinking there's some amazing engineering that will keep it running longer than any other brands.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
the hospital dint think it was LOW impact(messed up my elbow and ankle pretty bad), but anyway, your wrong honda has the best quality and will out last any competitor as long as its properly maintained. BTW, how many mercedes do you see with 300,000 + miles, I sure theres a few, but not to many.(ya ya tehre not as many mercedes as hondas blah blah blah) Honda is an awesome company and its not worth arguing because nothing will change my mine, anit is the best, sorry and its not my opinion ;)

Fool yourself, are you implying IM a fool? (I may be young and cant spell, but I do know a thing or 2)I wouldnt go there, I have a great resourse to back up all my statements about honda, and if you do maintain it properly, it will outlast ANY competitor. I still cant figure out why my xr still ran after I was done beating on it. Of course, ita a HONDA. My friends RM's dint event last half as long as my xr, and wait he maintained it, wow.

Finnaly, Im not saying there Wonder machines, and they do break, but cmon. I put in alot more hrs of riding time than my friends. Thats cause there bikes are alway broken.

Im sure Ill probably bend the bars tomorrow now :) Sorry any one that found this offensive, but I must defend Honda.

smrmx

Nov 18, 2001
I got the hebo unit from e-rider on my yz426 and I have to say it hasbeen the best thing I have done to it. I would not even look at the magura unit it is no were close to the quality of the hebo. plus you use brake fluid in it not mineral oil. Only two draw backs so far. Levers a not cheap $25 each.And the instructions are a little hard to understand . But at least if you order from E-rider they are more than willing to help you on any problems. I have had mine a year and a half not problem and no broken levers.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Same here. I bought mine from e-rider and have not had any problems with the hebo unit at all. The pull is now half of what the stock RM250 clutch pull was. I can easily use one finger on the clutch lever. The unit has been on my bike for about four months, took one real bad spill on the clutch side and did not damage unit at all. Actually, since it is so easy to pull I have moved the whole unit in as far as possible. Therefore, the end of the bar will hit the ground and not the clutch lever. I will never have a bike without this unit. Well worth the investment.

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
yes Honda makes a very good product just like Suzuki and the rest of the jap bikes but we all would like fat bars,nickel plated pipes,oversize pegs,hydraulic clutch,top line suspension etc.stock not extra.I own a Suzuki rm and a Ktm 250 mxc,I would love to have had the goodies stock on the rm.I am also considering a hydraulic clutch for my RM,and by the way comparing and xr reliability to and rm's reliability is like comparing a Buick Lesabres reliability to Jeff Gordons Monte Carlo

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
i loved my magura clutch. i got my 520sx about 6 months before my buddy got his 426...(great bike btw), and the clutch pull stayed perfectly consistent on the magura, while his clutch slowly became more difficult to pull. i absolutely loved it. no problems with it ever. and good analogy with the rm and xr, robrm250! lol. and while i loved the quality of the ktm components, it makes sense that the japs don't deliver their bikes with higher quality parts because there are as many different tastes for aftermarket parts as there are riders. better to leave the aftermarket parts buying to the individual. if you want the jimmy button bend, by them. if you like the rc stuff, buy that. at least you didn't pay $1000 bucks more for parts you wouldn't have chosen in the first place...

Top Bottom