oldrmguy

Apr 10, 2001
I took my 99 KTM200 out this weekend and noticed some problems with the hydraulic clutch. The clutch action at the lever seemed fine when the bike was not running, at idle, or just riding at slow speed. But when I got the bike up through the gears at a pretty high speed and then backed off of it, the clutch seemed to loose the full range of action; it was very loose through the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the lever action. But soon after that it would return to normal. I think the first thing I will do is back bleed the system and hopefully remove any air that might be in there. Has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas as to what is casing it?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did ya see this thread?

Click

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I have experienced the same symptoms on my '01 300EXC. I back bled the system, examined the slave cylinder and clutch, found nothing usual. Over on the HS BBS someone suggested that the clutch fluid was over-heating and that I should try ATF. I guess Lafferty does this, so anyway I changed over to tranny juice and my problem did not reappear during the last ride. It was 15-20 degrees colder though, so not really conclusive evidence. My clutch did the same as yours, went flat after accelerating hard out of a corner or after an obstacle.

So does this problem only occur after the bike is fully warmed and you are riding aggressively, and do you a slave cylinder guard installed?

Previous thread here was :
"http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27507"

oldrmguy

Apr 10, 2001
I'm using ATF in my clutch now. I'm going to back bleed the system and see if that helps. It only happens after the bike is warmed up and I ride it aggressively. Soemthing that I just remembered that might make me think it is air trapped in the system is this: I remember going out to the garage through the week to get something and of course had to admire the KTM in all its glory sitting on the stand. I pulled the clutch in and it felt like nothing was there. I pulled it back in forth a couple of times and it finally engaged fully. Something like a brake system maybe that you have to pump a few times. Usually that meant air in the system..so hopefully that is it.

I don't have a slave resevoir guard but after some rocky riding this past weekend I think I might invest in one. Thanks

Top Bottom