agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
Well, stopped at a buddy's house on the way home from work last night. He picked up my bike from Boston Motors here in Muskegon on Tuesday and I hadn't been able to start my baby yet or anything. I figured I'd stop there, start the bike, rip it thru his garden twice and go home.

Mistake #1 : No helmet. I figured I'd be on it all of 60 seconds.
Mistake #2 : No boots. See Mistake #1
Mistake #3 : Riding in a confined area
Mistake #4 : No insurance of any sort on the motorcycle

I'm not sure if the throttle stuck open or I grabbed a handful of throttle I couldn't handle but she got away from me. Eventually I ditched it right before the bike crashed through my buddy's privacy fence and hit both of another buddy's cars on the other side of it. I ended up with a sprained ankle and a broken big toe. The bike only needs handlebars from what we can tell. The expensive part is the Jeep Cherokee and Mustang GT. Estimates at $5400. I just got the bike and hadn't decided if I was gonna get liability insurance on it or not.
The cars were fully insured but the agent says if they turn it in that the insurance company may come back to try to get the money from me. His agent said to have me call my homeowners policy holder to see if they'll cover it before he turns the claim in. Does that sound right? Why would my homeowners policy pay for something that happened somewhere else?

agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
Actually I'm graduating from GRCC on May 2 with an overall GPA of 3.9.
Normally someone known for a level head and common sense. I guess I had a brain fart. I gotta admit, I do feel pretty dumb about it though.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
My wife is in the insurance biz (subrogation). She tells me that chances are slim that your homeowners would cover it, but if your friend has uninsured motorist coverage, it may fall under that coverage. Good Luck!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Ouch! Too bad on your mishap!

Why wouldn't comprehensive coverage take care of the vehicles, since they were not moving?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I agree with Gary B.  The homeonwers policy probably would not cover this situation.

Unisured motorist is a possibility.  However, I think the auto insurance would pick up the coverage (I think if the cars are legally parked that the Property Protection Insurance porvides the coverage), but the company is going to ask who was responsible.  Once they pay the claim, they do have the right to "subrogate" against (or sue) the responsible party.

The insurance company may investiage and realize that collecting from a college student is not feasible.  They may not pursue subrogation, but they do have that option.

Sorry I just spent two days in an insurance seminar. :(

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
My bet is on your homeowners NOT paying. As a matter of fact, I personally would not involve them. The agent for the car insurance company is trying to avoid a claim payoff - its that simple!
If the cars were both fully insured their prospective companys are liable. If they are not fully insured (full coverage) the only other recompense the owners have is toward you. If it came down to that, not only would taking care of the repair work be the right thing to do but it would be WAY cheaper then involving a FRICKIN lawyer and going to court (I was involved with a simular situation not long ago and it cost me over 24K for jkust MY attorney!).
Do the right thing, let the proper insurance company pay the tab (so the cars get fixed). Wait and see what happens as far as them seeking action! If they do, offer them a reasonable payment plan - DO IT IN WRITING! If they refuse, let them bring a lawsuit, go without an attorney and bring the document of your offer and their denial (it has to be written) to court. You will have to pay but the courts are VERY unhappy with insurance companys that PLAY GAMES!
Thats how I would handle it.
Woodsy

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
agnOstos-

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
agnOstos- Make sure you let us know how this all shakes out, I, for one, would be interested in knowing. ;)

I don't know what happened with my last post :confused: computer is freakin' out!

Last edited:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
well it was a joke, because they say to be old and smart you must be young a stupid. So i tho0ught you were older, because most on this board are, lol, well if you revers it, to be old and stupid you must first be youngand smart. Yea i'm stupid. lol. My brother also attends GRCC. He's a Freshman.

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
You *might* be OK.

15 years ago when I was 13 I accidently lost control of my 86 KDX80 and the bike crashed into a neighbors car smashing the tear window and smashing the drivers side door.

I am pretty sure my parents home owners DID cover it.

I'll ask my parents tomorrow if that is in fact the case.

agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
Thanks for the responses guys, and yes I'll keep you updated. I'm going to just tell him that my homeowners wouldn't cover it and tell him to have his agent make the claim. If they come back to get me I'll let you know how it shakes out. I might have to make payments but it's the price you pay to play sometimes.
Racer, no problem on the jabs, my buddy's are much worse than you at ribbing me, hehe. And just FYI, I'm 37, I rode road bikes for years but got tired of people pulling out in front of me. I gave up riding about ten years ago. My buddy let me ride his XR650R for the last couple years a few times a year and I decided I needed my own bike. I'm pretty sure it was the throttle, but I can't guarantee it. This has been a learning experience for me. I probably did too much for my skill level, especially in a confined area.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
Originally posted by agnOstos
Racer, no problem on the jabs, my buddy's are much worse than you at ribbing me, hehe. And just FYI, I'm 37,

I KNEW it!!!!!!!!!! lol, You want me too rib you? Ok the whole, respect your elders, gloves are off! :p

pay to play

Dangit! that's what my mom always says when i come back from riding and say ahh man i'm sore. I hate that phrase, but hey i guess it's true.

agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
Well,
They got both of their cars fixed through their insurance company and it came to $4400. I did receive a questionairre in the mail from their insurance company asking one question; Did you have personal liability and property damage coverage on your vehicle at the time of the accident? If yes please state your insurance company, policy number, and personal info. If not just mark no and send form back anyway.
I'm not sure if they're gonna come get me or not but I would think I would hear something soon if they were.

agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
The insurance company sent me a bill for $4400. I did some research and since both cars were parked they have the option of seeking reimbursement/subrogation. Now if I had run a stop sign and T-boned them I wouldn't get a bill, but since they were parked I do. Now does that make sense? I called them up and threw a fit and sob-story so when I told them I could only make $10/month payments they would be more willing to just deal with me any way that I would be cooperative and they are sending me payment arrangements of $10/month for me to peruse & sign. I will do some residential design work on the side and pay it off sooner, but at least I have the option of taking a month off and still making a payment without castrating myself that month.
I still can't believe it happened and I still can't believe Michigan no-fault insurance laws allow it.
Chalk this one up to an expensive lesson I guess. Case: closed

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
I would tell them to screw off and I would not sign anything agreeing to pay them anything. It is not illegal to ride a unlicensed dirt bike on private property. The insurance company should cover the damage under comprehensive. It would be no different than a lawn tractor hitting the car. I don't think they have any grounds to stand on. Let them sue you. As long as the property owner does not say you were trespassing you should be ok. This stuff is what insurance is for. Make the insurance company do their job.

Top Bottom