I don't get SuperMotard...

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
OK - I just don't get it. Call me strange, but don't call me late for supper....

But what is the deal with Super Motard? Why would you want to take a perfectly good MX bike and stick road tires on it? Taking a bike designed for one thing and making do another seems totally wacky to me. The suspension (11-12" of travel) is hardly suited for road racing. The geometry of the bike is not suited for road racing. The ergonomics are not suited for road racing. The list goes on.

I don't get it all. You might as well take a monster truck and put some Hoosier road racing slicks on it and go run it on Laguna Seca.

Am I off-base here or does anyone else fail to understand the attraction?

-jeffd

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Two wheels, light weight & lots of power is always appealing. They often race on courses you would never take a road racer on.

The supermotard concept gained popularity with a made for TV event called 'The Superbikers' on ABC, back in the '80s. They took a handfull of MX racers, flat trackers & roadracers and competed at Carlsbad on a track that had some elements of each type of course. MX bikes with dirt track tires and no fenders were the best bikes for the course.

It was exciting racing and the bikes are apparently a blast to ride.

B

biglou

Jeff-Have you ever seen it in action? I thought it was amazing! The kicking down a gear, backing in-brake sliding. Pretty crazy stuff. Did you see that link I posted a few weeks ago? I think it was titled "Very Cool Supermotard Video". If you haven't seen it, it's worth a look.:cool:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Where is Rich's powerslidin' Husky pic when you need it?!!!!!:)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I think the guy that invented it liked to run from the cops (in the street) on his dirtbike. :debil:

I'd love to try it.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I like the idea of super motard. To me it is a way for a guy to get into street bike riding and still staying close to their dirt bike roots. A guy could wheelie around town, blow away self proclaimed bad asses on their sport bikes though the twisties and just have a genuine good time. On the internet I have seen people super motard the big DS bikes, enduro bikes and even a CR 500.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Watch it once and you'll understand. Check out Lou's link, it's incredible.
Ride one and you'll sell a kidney to own one. Yeah they are kinda fun :D

YEEEE HAAA !!!

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
So if you were designing a motorcycle to run on a super twisty course i.e. Go Cart track, what would it look like. From what I understand you can go faster on a super motard style bike than on a sportbike on these types of courses.

I'd love to approach our local gocart track and try to put together a series. I think it would be a blast.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Bill Hibbs
I'd love to approach our local gocart track and try to put together a series. I think it would be a blast.

Bill - That's exactly what is happening here in the Midwest. Glenn Curtis ( www.superbikers2.com ) is promoting the Supermotard Challence series races that are being run on the Briggs & Stratton kart track at Road America. We'll have a 7 race series to compete in next season. I can't wait.

B

biglou

Stop It! Stop It! Stop It!

OK, tell me more. Rich, would a series like that allow pathetically slow riders like myself by having different classes or would it be hella-fast guys only? Man, got myself thinking again.:think This always gets expensive.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I dunno....

It looks strange seeing all those guys with Alpinestars MX boots and full-face MX helmets riding those high fendered off-road bikes with street tires.

Fun - maybe, strange - definitely

-jeffd

Rich - BTW, the link is http://www.superbiker.com (Singular, not plural. The plural form is available though.)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: Stop It! Stop It! Stop It!

Originally posted by BigLou
OK, tell me more. Rich, would a series like that allow pathetically slow riders like myself by having different classes or would it be hella-fast guys only?

Different classes and even a knobbies only class with guys just rolling their MX and Dual sport bikes to the line. They even have a mini-motard class.

Don't worry Lou you and I can dice at the back of the pack.

Attachments

• yzf_motard_dt1_500.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 632

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
OMG! Its....its.... FRANKENBIKE!

Man, don't you know that YZs aren't supposed to look like that??!!??
:confused:

Now I'm really freaked! :scream:

-jeffd

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
Here's a place I found with a lot of videos. click

how much does it usually cost to convert a bike for super motard?
It looks really fun

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
where's the mini motard at Rich? ;)

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Rich in a previous SuperMotard video you and AJ mentioned Grattan racetrack. Since AJ is from Indiana am I correct in assuming that you are referring to Grattan Michigan. If so I would like to see a motard race as I am only a few miles away from there.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I'm actually from Illinois, lol but yes I was talking about racing
this bike : http://d17.dirtrider.net/motardaf.htm

at grattan mich, or gingerman or putnam or blackhawk or road america.. the whole GRRLA series maybe?
no doubt i will hit a few of that 7 race series at road america..

i cant WAIT to hit the mini motard class on a yet to be built "baby motard"
i think i can do pretty well on the lil bikes :) plus the fun of building it!!

Big Lou..that series runs everyone together in qualifiers..
then the fastes group is the A class main..the middle guys in quaklifing time are the B classs man and the slower group in the C class ..
they promise LOTS of track time and fun no matter what.

Jeff-
possibly strange?
but its extreeemly popular in Europe and has been for a long time.

as far as the bikes not being "road worthy" you really need to ride one first to understand..
mine smokes my regular sport bike on many tracks..they are certainly competitive in certain areas with ANY CBR or GSXR..etc.

Ask DRN member seanATK..he was leading the 600 supersport class in AMA cup racing on a super motard CR500??? a few ducati 996 guys at willow springs were probably thinking the same thing you were until they were watching it pull away from behind?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by smb_racing
where's the mini motard at Rich? ;)

Real work has been getting in the way recently so it's under a tarp at the moment,
but this weekend I'll be testing a BBR high flow air filter on it.
Ice tires will get spooned once it gets a bit colder.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Ice tires will get spooned once it gets a bit colder.

SWEET!

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Rules?

Note in this pic, the mini class appears to have XRs and a 2 stroke.

How can you have both?

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Thanks all for clarifying what I didn't understand.

never really knew what a "Supermotard" was and was too embarrased to ask.

Looks to me that it is just a glorified version of the old Flat trackers.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by One Dollar
Thanks all for clarifying what I didn't understand.

never really knew what a "Supermotard" was and was too embarrased to ask.

Looks to me that it is just a glorified version of the old Flat trackers.

Not really - the Supermotard guys turn left and right. :D

OK, I'll go along with the "Don't knock it till you try it..." bit. It could be fun with out a doubt.

I gotta ask though, where does the name "Supermotard" come from?

-jeffd

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…