CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Well, I don’t even know how to begin this thread, so I’ll tell it how it happened.

My grandmother went to the hospital for a heart cath Monday. Nothing major, doctor said they do 1000 a year. They went in and found 80% blockage in one artery and installed a shunt. I got a call at work from my mom at about 1:30 p.m. and she told me what they did and that the doctors said my grandmother had the heart muscles of a 16 year old. While she was in recovery, she started having pain. Long story short, they found out that the doctor had ripped her artery during surgery and she was losing blood faster than they could get it into her. They did emergency surgery (in the room) and stopped the bleeding. By this time, my wife had called me and told me the situation and I turned a 20 minute drive to the hospital into a 10 minute drive. About 20 minutes after I got to the hospital, they came out and said she was fine. She was taken to ICU for recovery. Her body temp had dropped to 82 deg. And her blood pressure was 80/40. She coded once and was brought back, but was expected to recover fine. This was at about 4:00 p.m. Monday. Throughout the night she continued to recover and was doing better. She was still asleep, but recovering. My wife and I stayed at the hospital unitl about 10:30, and then we went to run some errands for people who were staying at the hospital. We got back, visited a little while, and then went home at about 1:30 a.m. My wife and I had just got to bed when the phone rang. We were told to get to the hospital immediately. We did. My grandmother’s heart had suddenly stopped. The doctor’s were back with her for about 30 minutes. And then they came and told the news. At 2:13 a.m. Sept. 24 my grandmother left this world full of troubles and sorrow for a place that can’t even be described with words. A place where not one tear will be shed, not one trial will be endured. A place of eternal rest and peace with the Lord. THAT is comfort, my friends. She had been through a lot in the past few years. About 5 years ago she had kidney failure and had to endure dialysis. In October of 2000 she received a kidney transplant and has been doing great ever since. My grandmother was the most Godly woman I know. And that is what she will be remembered for. She is already missed, greatly. It hurts to know that she will not be able to see her great grandchildren, but there is not a doubt in my mind that she is holding our little baby right now. (For those that don’t know, my wife and I lost a baby in April)

I guess I just needed to vent. This is my first grandparent to pass away. It's not easy. We have a huge family and it is impacting alot of lives. I am also having a hard time deciding if I am going to Dirtweek or not. If I do go, and I seem a bit reserved, now you’ll know the reason. This week was supposed to be prep week, and I am nowhere near ready. I've also missed two exams this week, plus time off without pay. I don't know what to do?

"We love you Nanny. We’re praying for you. You’re going to be OK." <-- Those were my last words to my Nanny.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
CAL,
our hearts are with you and your family. You are lucky you had her for as long as you did and reflect on what made her so special.

B

biglou

Corey-So sorry to hear about this. You know we'd love to see you again at DW, along with your dad and David, but you do what you have to do for the family first.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sorry to hear that Cal. :(You're right that she is in a better place now. That only helps a little for those left behind but she really is in a better place.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
CAL,
My heart goes out to you. Know that your Grandmother is in a better place now. God bless you and your family in this sorrowful time. You will be in my prayers.
Keith

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Dang Corey. I feel for you.

I was there when my Gramma passed, holding her hand the whole time. One of the toughest days of my life. Hang in there pal.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
CAL,
Sorry to hear of your loss, my last living grandparent passed away about 5 years ago @ 93 yrs. She went to the hospital for a routine minor surgery and never woke up. Remember that she is a part of you and always will be. Tell your kids about her and how she affected your life, then she will be a part of theirs too!

God Bless.

Kevin

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
CAL, so very sorry to hear the news. :(

I just went through losing my last grandparent a couple months ago and know what you're going through.

If you decide to go ahead with DW and there is anything I can do, give me a shout.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sorry man, my thoughts are with you :(

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Condolences Cal.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
My condolences Cal, :(

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Sorry to hear about the loss. My thoughts are with you and your family. :(

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Godspeed my friend to you and your family.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Cory, I am truly sorry to hear about this. I know how hard it is. Your family will be in my prayers.

Jamie

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Corey,
I lost my remaining Grand Parent last month. The last thing G-pa said to me last year was for me to "carry on", I about died when I heard this because it was via telephone from the folks,(When he died) I had heard the words from him the time I had visited, but I knew what he ment it even more because of the dimentia(sp) that he suffered. Drive on Corey! My G-Pop wanted me to succed(sp) with school and I am sure your G-Ma does too! Go to DW02 if you can with your Da and your family. Belive me.....Your G-Ma would be disapointed if you don't. The one thing that reminds me of G-Pa is tha fact of how mad he was when we would come to see him rather than carry on with our lives.

:p He Was A Tiger!

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
My prayers and condolences to you Cal

She'll continue to watch over you and her Great Grandchilderen :thumb:

Trust in Him <><

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by CAL
At 2:13 a.m. Sept. 24 my grandmother left this world full of troubles and sorrow for a place that can’t even be described with words. A place where not one tear will be shed, not one trial will be endured. A place of eternal rest and peace with the Lord. THAT is comfort, my friends.
Words to remember when you feel a bit down my friend. My condolences are with you and your family.

Top Bottom