SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
It's time to start scouting, as soon as I heal up that is. My summer of racing is over for the next month or so due to a get-off a week ago, so I might as well hit the maps.

I drew on a couple of prime areas. I know the unit I drew for elk very well so that probably won't be a problem. The unit I drew for deer I have not hunted before but my hunting partner's dad lives in this unit and say's there are several 30" plus bucks there. He said he has them tied to a tree, so we'll see.

Bring on the steaks.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Fall seems forever away :(

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Is this a rifle only hunt? Which units did you draw in? I decided to not put in on elk this year because there is no archery season if I draw I went for the general season. I'll just have to shoot a bull with my bow. I think I'll start scouting the middle of July. Season opens late August, so I'll have an excuse to get on my bike and look for new places to hunt.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Holy crap, need to find a new hiding place! Steak this pal :moon::):)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
First the pics in the baby picture thread and now this. Kevlar is your friend, elk! :scream:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I need a vacation! As long as it's not near Thumperland!!:)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You have to draw down there, SirT? Heck, that sucks. All I gotta do is buy the tags.

Idaho is so screwed up any more when it comes to hunting. :debil: If they keep this up it'll be as bad as (gasp!) Washington. :|

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
There are more people from Utah getting tags than there are Idahoans down here. You guys but the sportsmans package? Covered everything I hunt and more. Next year will be bad, we lost 75% of the fawn population due to winter kill here in Southeast Idaho. Things are looking grim.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
UGH!! Thanks for the reminder Pred. :moon: I don't even bother trying to get tags anymore. I just go along for the camping trip. If any of you snag a deer this season, send some of it my way. I'm out of deer jerkey. :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Sportsman's Package for the last 10 years. The only way to fly, even if I don't fish!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I can't justify spending that much money on something I would rarely get to enjoy. :( I only get two stinking fishing trips this year!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by XRpredator
If they keep this up it'll be as bad as (gasp!) Washington. :|
You mean they still let people hunt in the Evergreen State?

When I lived there we did all out hunting and fishing over in Montana. The fishing was so good they'd jump right in the boat... literally. But I'll save that gem of a story for the next trout fishing thread that pops up.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Yep, we hunt Bambie AND environmentalists. :p :confused:

(j/k for any of the environmentalists out there)

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Is the environmentalist hunt draw or general season. I'd pay out of state fees to hunt those animals. It seems they are reproducing so fast that they are causing overpopulation problems and are becoming a nusaince. Just kidding, don't kill me guys.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Clutchcover, what state are you in? You can pretty much hunt archery all over the state without a draw. Look at the regs. unit 49 for elk, the controlled hunt I have is rifle. Unit 52 for deer is also for rifle.

a454elk, don't flatter yourself, you're probably too small an elk to mess with. :) As for vacationing around here you'd be safe, but don't go up around XRP's parts :eek:

XRP, There are some open hunts down here but they are for spikes only. I saw the pic of your elk and it is no wonder they let you just buy a tag and go for it, they're trying to get rid of all those runt bulls you must have up there. :) I think it is the amount of people down here that is the problem. If they had open hunts here, it would be a nightmare.

Some parts of the state may have suffered a decline in deer and elk but around here they are doing great. I am worried about the wolves though. Once I get out and about I'll be able to tell what impact they have had already.

Clutchcover, scratch the first paragraph, I get what you were saying.

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
GETMETOCA<-------Makes a pretty tasty elk roast with all the fixin's

Have fun you guys! I hope some elk meat makes it into my freezer this season. You guys are reminding me of a "Beast Feast" I co-hosted with a friend of mine who hunts.

We had moose, bear, duck, elk, deer, salmon, abalone, and tri-tip, side dishes (all delectably prepared....) We held it outdoors by the river and had torches lit, fire pit going...a dozen friends...it was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Our deer draw requires the permits to be in by april and you get your results in August. Local residents don't have too much trouble. The deer herd is so large most everyone gets at least one permit for at least one weekend.

I put in for 2 this year.

The state duck blind drawings are another story! Thousands draw for just a few blinds! Very little odds!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm outta here, all this elk cooking talk makes me sick!:)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Elk, as seen here!
attachment.php

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
GETMETOCA<-------Makes a pretty tasty elk roast with all the fixin's
Thanks alot, now my mouth will be watering untill mid October. :(

Offroadr, duck blind draws? now that is a new one to me. Goes to show how someone can take things for granted. Here you just buy your stamps and go for it. As far as the blinds go, it is first come first serve. I've seen guys sit there all night. I would never do that, there are to many places to go.

Since I left Texas, my days of paying for leases for deer, geese, and all the rest of the things I used to hunt are over.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I only put in for a buck tag and bull elk tag. I didn't get my buck tag. The area I apply for is tough to get a tag for (they only draw maybe 200 tags for that area), but if you do get one, its a very rewarding hunt. I got my elk tag though. And of course, I will be getting my duck stamps for the fall! :aj:

Top Bottom