sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Notice how its Tire and not tires, yeah there is no way i will be able to get a maxxis c6001 on by myself with my ghetto tire irons. I did the front tire as my first attempt to ever really change a dirt bike tire. It took me about an hour but i prob could of got it done a lot quicker if i actually would of thought about what i was doing instead of just going at it. At first i couldnt get the tire to come off the rim then i stood back took a deep breath and realized what i was doing wrong and first try it basically came right off. I had the tire irons to close to eachother and wasnt getting proper leverage. Then the only other holdup was getting the tubes air nozzle thing though the rim. Besides is being 90 degrees it wasnt all that bad, at least i can do my front tire from here on out and the dealer can have $20 to change my rear.

I think i read almost every tire changing post on here and i guess it helped out a lot but you really just need to figure it out on your own to really understand it, but to everyone who has ever put their 2 cents in on changing a tire thanks :cool:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
keep doing it. the front is about half as hard as the rear. after a few times, it gets much easier. i've never done a maxxis but if it has a stiff sidewall, it makes it alot more difficult. i put on a kenda millville awhile back. i didn't like it so i decided to take it off before i wore it out. the sidewall was so stiff that i almost ended up having to saw the tire off. my experience has been that the dunlops are the easiest to mount or remove.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
mx547 said:
keep doing it. the front is about half as hard as the rear.

Unless that rear happens to be an 18" then the front is 2x's as hard as a rear. But you MX guys don't get that benefit. 3 tire irons, baby powder,WD40 and a deadblow hammer, all the tools to make it a snap, well maybe a barley pop to keep you cool.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i took my rear over to the shop for them to do it, the maxxis side wall is really really stiff so i wasnt going to attempt it, plus i was dieing from the heat, at least my first turn at was successful with no pinched tubes or anything

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Pirelli go on easier then Dunlop. I've never done a Maxxis nor a Kenda, just Dunlop, Bridgestone and Pirelli. I always thought the Dunlops were worst of the lot.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
The mini tires are the real killers. Takes me 2x the time to do an xr70 front wheel than my crf450 front wheel. the obvious reason is there is less "give" in the small tire and you just have to force it...

Top Bottom