kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
Hello All;

I had a crack in my front rim...so I bought a new Excel rim for my KX 250. Never did thread a rim on before, but it was surprisingly easy....all straight and true with all spokes about the same tension. Process took a couple of hours of patient work.

I also used the tire changer from Habour Freight. I found it better to use simply as a platform for securing the rim and I used irons to lever the tire on. I tried the supplied bar for sliding around the rim to push the tire on....but that seemed too hard on the rim for my liking.

Good purchase though for changing tires...I recommend it. It holds the rim securely at waist level.....just where I need it.

Ken

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
kshackleton said:
I tried the supplied bar for sliding around the rim to push the tire on....but that seemed too hard on the rim for my liking.

Cut up a white plastic soap bottle (like dish soap, or liquid laundry soap) into 4x3 inch squares. You can wrap those around the end of the tire bar for the dismount part, or around the lip of the rim and then put the mount part of the bar on it. The plastic will slide around the rim and protect it.

Last edited:

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
Steve St.Laurent said:
Cut up a white blastic soap bottle (like dish soap, or liquid laundry soap) into 4x3 inch squares. You can wrap those around the end of the tire bar for the dismount part, or around the lip of the rim and then put the mount part of the bar on it. The plastic will slide around the rim and protect it.

Thanks....I give that a try

Top Bottom