I Hate My Job!!!!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
This is why I hate my job

I was told when I was hired that I would probably be moved to sales in a few
months. It is 5 years later, and here I sit, behind a desk.

I have been here longer than my manager and can tell you about a million
things about this company that he has no clue about.

I have been here longer than 23 of the 36 members of management in my
company.

Although I have generated more than 3.8 million dollar in business for my
company and on nearly every review I have received higher than 98% over
score, I have been passed over 14 times for promotions. Most of which, were
filled by complete idiots that should have been fired for being lazy and
having no pride at all in their work.

Seeing how I was not going to be in sale as I was told, I started shooting
to get into a better department. I tried for over two years. After finally
attaining the new department position, they promptly put three other people
in this department that had just started with the company.

I was glad to move departments because now I am part of the "Cream of the Crop" as one of my six bosses puts it. Nice to see that the cream of the crop includes some schmoes that just came in off the street.

I am very happy to be doing what I do now. But......and this is a big but....But, now I seem to be doing things that I had no intentions of ever doing with my life! I love aviation. I love to fly, I love to watch aircraft fly, I love to be involved in aviation. That is what I do. I am involved in aviation. The details of my job are intertwined with aviation. That is great. I would wash planes for a living because it involve aviation. But what am I doing today???? Accounting. I hate accounting. I chose not to take accounting classes in school because I HATE ACCOUNTING!!!!! You get the point. But, here I sit, auditing. Auditing what, nothing to do with aviation.....NO, I am auditing orders for freight that was moved on trucks.

What do I hate the worst???? I hate the fact that my real job, setting up logistics for charter aircraft, is the job that I love. I could do it until I retire and I would be happy. I hate the fact that my company has made me hate this job that I love.

I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue! See, even my quotes are from Airplane movies.

I won't even get started on the pantload of reverse discrimination that I put up with everyday!

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I love mine, sorry, but sounds like you either need a job change or a day or two off riding! Good luck. By the way, don't give Thumbs any more ammo then he already has. I'm about ready to post the photos of him in a tutu! He's our little Gomer and you gotta love him.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
As long as he's a little Gomer I guess there's no harm.

Thunder, maybe put your creative juices to work? I hear Subway has openings for sandwich artists.:p

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm sensing you are distressed.:think hmmmmm.....

(Sigmund says, "...look for zee buzz verds")

I started shooting ...I hate my job... I love aviation. I love to fly, I love to watch aircraft fly, I love to be involved in aviation. ...I would wash planes for a living because it involve aviation...I am involved in aviation....Aviation....aviation...Accounting... I hate accounting.... because I HATE ACCOUNTING!!!!! ...I love aviation...I love to watch aircraft fly...The details of my job are intertwined with aviation. That is great. ....But, here I sit, auditing. Auditing ....auditing...I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue! ...pantload of reverse ..Aviation..nothing to do with aviation..."Cream of the Crop"...hate this job that I love. aviation...
I love to watch aircraft fly, I love to be involved in aviation. That is what I do. I am involved in aviation. The details of my job are intertwined with aviation.
Are you now, or have you ever been on Prozak?
Are you now, or have you every been a crop duster?
Do you own a weapon?

:debil:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Sorry dude, but you suffer from a very common syndrome in Corporate America. One that I chose to avoid when I was 16 years old.

Here's the bottom line. If you want a good job or want to become famous & great, you've either got to A) separate yourself from the rest of the a-holes out there, drop back, study your ass off, get a great degree & kick some serious ass, or B) enter the "regular" world with everyone else and become relentless as hell, or the best liar & backstabber since Clinton.

I'm serious.

You're not going to go anywhere expecting to be "tenured" with "good reviews". The bottom line is, those idiots that are reviewing you just happen to be a little more or option B (above) than you.

Good luck.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
sounds like you need to kiss butt a little more!

just kidding.

I think that many times, if you are brighter or experienced than your boss or bosses, this is intimidating, and you will find it hard to get anywhere. My wife has made attemps at a new job, only to find out they wouldn't even interview her...the resume was way too intimidating and over-achiever like. Put yourself in their shoes...how would you feel about hiring someone that could run circles around you performance wise?

If you are intelligent AND outspoken, this makes it even worse. It is very tough to accomplish, but I have found choosing your battles, letting others fail, I repeat letting others fail (or prove to themselves that their ideas really do suck) scores way more points and/or keeps you off the poop list, as compared to the mister know it all approach that comes very naturally for me.

Practice with me, "GEE, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT (SIR), LET'S TRY THAT IDEA"...

Now, ask me my opinion and I would be happy to give it, that's another story.

I guess what I am getting at here is, think back, have you had any interactions with management that would make them dislike you?

Are you just a necessary evil to them (they don't really like you, but due to your performance, they don't really want you to leave). This could explain much.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Dang Nephron, your replies are always so rosy. Just kidding, my glass-is-half-empty buddy:confused:

I've still found that attitude and the ability to listen, learn, and make yourself available for success has been my key.

Case in point, over the years I have gone up against degreed canidates-I'm a perpetual junior (never finished college). But, and this is key, the attitude and ability carried me over the other canidates. In fact, my last tenure was a VP position. Now I'm in a financial position to actually pursue what I always wanted to do, so I'm switching careers-but it took 14 years of hard work to get there.

That isn't an answer for all, but success is usually only hindered by ourselves.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
All I can say is, if you hate your job that much, you know where the door is. If you aren't willing to do something to improve your situation, then what good does it do to gripe about it. My company is full of cronic complainers, and they annoy me to no end. I am the first one to speak to my boss if I am unhappy with something, and if it can't be resolved to our mutual satisfaction, well, I'm certainly not a slave. I can choose to go elsewhere. That's what this country is all about, having the freedom to choose.

andymstevens

Mar 10, 2000
Jamie:

where are you workin'? (thanx for the dog topic) i know some aviation people (and i even know some people with 9 and 1/2 toes)

Spanky:

it's all about venting.
btw i had a 92 KDX and it never seemed to like where i was riding it, so one day it dragged me out to Ocotillo (southern ca-desert) and decided to show me what it was made for. you really should go there and check it out. ask the bike to show you a sand wash and then pin it! :)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by andymstevens
Spanky:
btw i had a 92 KDX and it never seemed to like where i was riding it, so one day it dragged me out to Ocotillo (southern ca-desert) and decided to show me what it was made for. you really should go there and check it out. ask the bike to show you a sand wash and then pin it! :)
Unfortunately,deserts and sand dunes are kinda rare in the North Georgia mountains. One place that this bike is at home here in the mountains is when climbing steep hills, it can grunt up anything.:)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
It is Saturday now and I am a little more calm. I still hate my job though.
Jaybird, I have never been on Prozak, I have never crop dusted, I own zero weapons. I have no use for weapons or Prozak. I would crop dust if I had my certificate but I have not achieved that yet. I don't really understand why you chopped up my quotes. Did you have anything to add? Oh well. Frued was a peckerhead that was lusting after his mother.

Andy, look at the address on my e-mails, that is my company name.

Wade, this is why I would make the best parts man you could have!

Spanky and Nephron, give me a break, this is what the flame board is for, right? If I didn't have a wife and kid, I would walk. Unfortunately, I have to have a place to go and KC is not exactly booming with opportunities.

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
I have been facing this same decision, except I am 20 and still in college. I'm not happy with my computer job, and I am majoring in computer networking. I find it boring and unfulfilling, and I don't want a career in this. I work at a help desk on my college campus, and it is just not what I thought it would be. I know that it's just one job, and not all of the industry is like that, but very little of the industry appeals to me. I have decided that I want to become a motorcycle/ATV/watercraft mechanic, and I am going to attend MMI in Phoenix. I got a brochure in the mail from them after seeing their ad in Dirt Rider, and wrote down a bunch of questions I had while flipping through the brochure. Friday I talked to an advisor and got all my questions answered, and I'm going to send in my application Monday. I have also talked to my mother about it, and she took it better than I thought she would. She knows that I am unhappy with what I am doing right now. I am a couple of classes away from getting my associate's degree, and I would be stupid to not finish it. So I have hatched a plan:

After this semester ends, quit my job working on campus. I don't make enough money there to save up to go to Phoenix. Then, get back my other job I had driving a forklift on the weekends, making more money. Then, spring break next semester, fly out to Phoenix to tour MMI and everything. The representative I talked to said they were booked for 6-8 months, but they might have room in July, or September. So until then, just save up some of that sweet sweet cash, and make my escape from Atlanta, and start a new life in Phoenix. I feel excited about making a change, and definitely recommend that you make one too, if you're that unhappy. I want to do something that makes me look forward to getting up in the morning, no make me wince as soon as I open my eyes and realize I have to awake from the sweet escape from everyday life that sleep provides. Go for it!

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
maby you've been looked over b/c the people yho are doing the promoting don't want a sniveling, complaining, whiner that close to them. Look for another job. There must be some aspect of the place you like since you've been there five years. If not then you're to complacent. be more aggressive. I run a company, and promote the best people. if someone has been around for a long time w/o a promotion, it's usually for a reason. They're not bad enough to fire, but not good enough to promote and have reached thier highest potential in the company. I figuer eventually they'll quit. When someone has a negetave "I hate my job attitude" I will never reward them, because I don't want the other employees to see that a negative attitude is rewarded, especially in sales. Don't mean to rain on your pity party, I'm sure you're a nice, intelligent fellow> I thought you might want a management perspective on your situation.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Well, THunder33....I DO have a bit to add now that you mention it.
I was simply trying to add some levity to your situation. You must admit that your post was more a rambling, whine fest at best. If you don't admit that, then maybe you DO need to consult a physician and look into some Prozac.

Here's the real solution...Like Spanky stated, our country is for choices and I suggest you either get in another frame of mind or hit the door. Hey why not start your own business? You apparently feel you have what it takes to be the big man, so I say go for it. Go ahead and take the leap. Find your nearst federal building and fill in the papers for incorporation. Then find a nice bank to back you and you'll be set. This is America where we can do such things when we feel we are being unfaily held back.

If you don't have the guts to do that, then sit back and try to enjoy life. Start by trying to see the funny side of things. I suggest this because I see you with cronic ulcers soon if you don't.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Yardpro quote:maby you've been looked over b/c the people yho are doing the promoting don't want a sniveling, complaining, whiner that close to them.

First of all, I do no sniveling and I am not a whiner! I am complaining because this is America and I have the right to complain. You say that you run a company. I would put two and two together and see that by your screen name and your spelling ability, (maby is spelled maybe) you are probably not running a multi-billion dollar business such as the company that I work for. You may promote good people to "Head lawn mower" or what ever the top position is, but it works differently in corporate America. There are agendas and bottom lines. The bottom line here is, you don't rock the boat. Well, I do rock the boat. I try to improve things here. Unfortunately, management frowns on improvement unless they think of it.

Jaybird, are you just pestering me over the dog comment? Let it go. I have many times thought of starting my own business. That is easier said than done when you have to support a family. I am sure that my local bank is not going to give me fifty grand to start a bike shop, or a music store, or anything else that I love. This is America and it is an opportunist's society, but, it is also a place where I have two car payments, a mortgage, and a wife and son to feed. Have you ever seen "Office Space". That is my life....aside from the promotion that Peter got.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Dog comment?:think .....

My friend, I'm not pestering you at all. I simply replied to your question. I had something to add, and I added it.

You need to ride more. Not just putt around, you need to get out and rip till yer gizzard hurts. Then maybe you'll stop being so sensitive and tempremental. :debil:
Be glad you have a job, and a mortagage and family to support. If you can't stand it any longer, stop thinking the bank won't and start thinking about When the bank will.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
Thunder 33
you asked for it by sending out such an obvious plea for attention. As far as the personal jab at me, I run a million dollar plus per year upscale landscape maintenance/installation business. We are top dogs in the area. We stay on top because I promote deserving, compident people to the positions that their talents are best suited for. I use this name b/c I am proud to be at the top of my field in the area, and I love what I do. I chose this field after receiving my masters degree in a field I decided I didn't want to enter. I had the guts to find a rewarding career, and have been quite succesful at it. You, on the other hand will never succeed in your career if you actually hate your job. As for the typos. I have a secretairy at work, I didn't realize that spelling was important enough to matter on this site, Hey, that's it why don't you pursue a career in typo editing, you obviously enjoy it.
If you love aviation so much than pursue it, don't be an accounting, pencil pushing wimp, go for it. And about the plane washing comment, I have a friend at a small local airport that was an aviation mechanic and now makes $75K per year "washing" planes. He started a aviation detailing business, and because he loved what he does, and is passonate about it he makes a good living in an industry he loves.
so quit whining

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I guess I am just sick of every time I turn around, some member of this site is jumping all over another member. That is ridiculous. Why? How about this? Jaybird, have you ever rode with me? Why don't you ask one of the KC members if I just putt around or if I tear it up? Better yet, why don't you and Mr.Yardpro and I all go out riding. Yardpro, I will show you a new way to "Landscape"! Hey, wait, you guys have a team there, the Yardbirds! That is what they call chickens in Texas! I probably won't quit my job right away. Why? I am not a quitter. I don't just give up because I don't like something. Hell, if that were the attitude then this country would be in worse shape than it already is. I may hate my job but I support a great wife and son, I have a wonderful place to live, I have the bike, truck, music equipment and toys that I want, all because of a job I hate. No, I will probably work here and bitch about it. If you don't like my bitching, don't read anymore posts called I hate my job. As far as the "Pencil pushing wimp" comment.....heh, I am probably the only 6'2" 240 lbs pencil pushing wimp that you will ever see. Try to play nice from now on. Have your SECRETARY take a memo, don't wear such small helmets, it makes your brain hurt and you don't think right! Spelling things correctly is just polite to the other members. We don't like to try to figure out what you are trying to say. Peace!

B

biglou

Re: "Yardbirds"

Jeff Beck? Jimmi Page? You guys ride dirt bikes?:D
Originally posted by Thunder 33:
As far as the "Pencil pushing wimp" comment.....heh, I am probably the only 6'2" 240 lbs pencil pushing wimp that you will ever see.
Not true. XRP is an even bigger pencil pushing, uh, secretary.:eek:

Having met Jaybird and having T33 in the KCRiders group, I think we are off track here. Let's go for a group ride, cease the attacks and get back to hating our jobs (if so inclined). :)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
You are right Lou. I am sorry guys. I am turning my frustrations on you and that is not right. Can't we all just get along???? Any time you want to ride in Missouri, I will be glad to take a day off work and show you around.;)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
T33 is a woose and a whinner. He brags he rides a YZ400, but all I see is a RT180 and he falls down alot.

ha,ha, just trying to add some dry humor here fellow's. :p

Isn't it great to have such good riding buddies that care about you. :o

Last edited:
B

biglou

Just one of those days!

I think Jamie was just having one of those "Bang your head repeatedly off the keyboard" days, saying over and over again "I hate my job, I hate my job..."

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
That is only Monday through Friday though.

Rick, see if I ever post a nice note about you again. That RT180 has a YZ400 engine with the new Emig Racing red, white, and blue powerband!

Top Bottom