I hate new jersey legislators!

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Actually if you are 18 I think you could find better things to be doing than hanging around the beach trying to get drunk.

That would have avoided most of the problem.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
a454elk said:
Assuming one would committ a crime because others had in the past isn't an issue. The laws are there for everyone, if you break them, you pay, if you don't you continue on in your life. So basically you're saying that there should be no laws or am I misunderstanding what you said.
I assume this was directed at me so I will respond. In no way, shape, or form did I either say or imply that there should be no laws. I based my response on the contents of Glitch's posts and nothing more. He said that he gave his friend NO money for alcohol. I must presume his innocence because, after all, that is the whole basis of our judicial system.

In Glitch's initial post he says "So, we walk by a store, he walks in, and my buddy and I start walking back to the house, a block away." I am of course assuming that he is being truthful. There is no mention of an automobile. Of course it is entirely possible that, had his friend been successful in buying alcohol, they would have gotten loaded and went out driving around. But you'll never get a conviction on possibilities. After all, anything is possible.
a454elk said:
Having laws don't point the finger or judge, it gives us guidelines to follow. Morons doing wrong is what makes laws in the first place. Falls back on the one guy that ruins it for the rest. Why do you think buying a house has so much dang paperwork. It's because some jackass looked for a loophole to get out of something or to sue. Stepping off the soapbox, thank you. :)
I agree with this 100%. The biggest problem with the judicial system in this country is civil law. Our society is far to litigious, anyone will sue anyone for anything nowadays. Have you looked at all the warnings they have on common household items now? It seems there is no place for common sense anymore.

P.S.- What do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
A good start. :laugh:
I apologize to any honest lawyers out there, if there are any. ;)

Last edited:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I was talking to my lawyer the other day and he said he read the report and said I shouldnt worry about a thing, it comes as a relief, but an expensive one at that.
Just so you dont get the wrong impression of me, all of my friends and I will beat any one of us to a pulp if we even attempt to drink and drive. We have all known people who have unfortunately died due to drunken driving either by them or some other idiot hitting them, and we are too close of friends to let that happen to any of us. If we do plan on drinking, we always have a dd, but usually just sleep where ever we are drinking.
I know that the age wont be lowered to 18 anytime soon, probably never. I understand where you guys, the ones opposing it, are coming from, and I agree with most of what you say. Its very tragic when someone dies from a drunken driver, and it happens all to often. All I can think of is stiffer penalties, what kind, I dunno. But over in Europe they allow 16 year olds to drink beer, they do have alot more public transportation, but they seem to be doing pretty good with their laws. Maybe we can learn something from them.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I agree with JP, if at 18 you can die for your country at war (getting drafted), you can Vote in elections, you are tried as an adult, smoking cigs at 18, purchase smut and enter strip clubs .
I also think they should raise the driving age to 18, too many knowitall kids driving at 15 3/4's with learners permits! So a 16 yr old kid can drive a corvette down the road and lose control and kill someone? Yeah, I know it makes it easy for some kids to get part time jobs or single moms can work and not have to drive the kids to football practice and such, but havent you been doing that the prior 16 years? Keep it simple, make 18 the age of adulthood.
Any kid that wants to drink underage can find some means to get alcohol, maybe less will drink as much when they get drunk sick and throw up their insides and dont think it as "so cool" since it didn't have the risk taking "illegal" effect. Maybe more kids wouldnt "sneak off to drink", or lie to their parents, or be afraid of getting in trouble with their parents to tell them they were drinking and they make an unwise mistake of driving home. (Thats how I was because my parents forbid me to drink, and since my friends were at the time, I thought it was "cooler" to disobey) Trust me, not good behavior on my part, but I too thought I knew it all.*** and on a personal note, I got a DUI when I was 19, at a all you can eat bullroast, I didnt drive until the end of the nite. a huge mistake and no one got hurt, except my wallet. *** my point being that I had no problem obtaining it underage.***** I messed up. I still to this date, have never told my parents about that, I paid all the attorney/court costs and such but was still too scared to tell my parents. I have thought about telling them now but it isnt really a big deal now that I am in my 30's and expecting a son.
Oh, and when my son heads off to college, that will be one of the lesser things I will be worrying about. I would be more worried about the over abuse of alcohol, ecstassy, hard drugs like Heroin and crack, orgy sex parties with AIDS , fraternity hazing and other crazy stuff that happens when they "leave off to college". Didn't a kid just die from trying to drink a crapload of water, virtually drowning himself to enter a fraternyity? Alot of it has to come from parents educating their kids about drinking.
I am not trying to steer anyone on my opinions, but the drinking underage and possible driving happens now, will happen tomorrow, and it is very unfortunate.
..... About your problem, I think your boy ratted you out and the fact that he didnt say anything to you about the situation on the phone means he led you into a trap to get some of the heat off of him; I would at least disassociate yourself from him. If he was the "man" who wanted the beer, then he should've acted like a man and not a P.A.B. You should take the advise here to shell out for an attorney. You definately dont want to take a chance on losing your license or getting restrictions for this BS. If you weren't there at the premises or conducted it, you should win the case. That is if the cops are crooked and change the story around in the courtroom on you.
What would have happened if when you left your boy there and continued on your way and he decided to rob the liquor store and got caught unbeknowst to you. Then rats you out and you come down there. Are the cops capable of arresting you on conspiracy because your boy says so? Very disturbing, but maybe there is more to the story than you are telling us.... Good luck though.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I dont think that he really ratted me out. The cops asked him about the two kids walking with him earlier, he told them that they were his friends(what else was he supposed to say?), then they asked if the kids(my friend and I) had given him money for alcohol, to which he then said no. I dont know if I could have done anything different, I was nervous enough without having to know I was being arrested. He did tell us on the phone that the cops wanted to talk to us. I didnt know what else to do besides walk over, like I said, if I had not gone back, I believe that the cops would have hounded him until he told them were I was, and then I'd be in more trouble.
And just to reiterate, thats the whole story, its sounds crazy and it really is. I was shocked the whole time.

Top Bottom