City Hunter

Feb 8, 2008
I found a pretty cheap runner, but iI have no information on the early kawasaki bikes. I was always told by other bike buddies they were junk, but they are brand loyal also.

How's the engine and drivetrain on it?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The kdx are very reliable. I rode one 2 enduro seasons plus play riding(3,500~ miles) without a topend(I wouldn't suggest doing it again though!). I did buy it new though. Tell your buddy's they don't know what they are talking about!! The only issue with that bike is they only produced the 250 1-3 years(can't remember) so parts may be tough to find.

City Hunter

Feb 8, 2008
thanks for the input. I'll have to check ebay for rebuild parts.

I also stumbled across a 82 yz250 for a few hundred in need of a new top end. Decisions.

City Hunter

Feb 8, 2008
so now im tossing apples and oranges around. Everyone tells me to stay away from that 82 yz250. I went and looked at it today, definately needs to have the coolant lines rerouted which would be easy, and it has low comp so needs a top end rebuild, front shocks seemed off, and the rear was a bit soft, but other than that it was a clean solid bike, even had a dg exhaust.

That kawi is still for sale I think. hmmmmm

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I'd make the decision based on what the intended purpose of the bike will be. If you're trail riding, the KDX, if you want to race vintage motocross, the YZ. Just a thought.
Roger #491

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
zoommx said:
I'd make the decision based on what the intended purpose of the bike will be. If you're trail riding, the KDX, if you want to race vintage motocross, the YZ. Just a thought.
Roger #491

Well said! Take a look at the parts issue, the kdx 200 is good for parts if you can find a 200.

Roger
17T
17U

City Hunter

Feb 8, 2008
The riding I do is a lot of logging roads, some muddy little play areas, hill climbs and whatever else I can fund thats fun to ride through up in the hills of nw oregon.

I started realizing it doesnt really matter what it is, I love to ride. Heck, I was haivng a blast on some atc 110 3 wheelers the other day. It was fun pointing yourself in the general direction you wanted to go, sla tehg as and pray it doesntshoot you off some other way when going up 4x4 trails lol.

I think my next bike will be a older mx style bike like early 80s. I'm looking for a early yamaha or honda, shoulda bought that piece of crack yz, but oh well, Could have been the only one in the woods with teh radiator behind the number shield :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom