I need a bike!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I recently met a guy, with a barn full, and 2 trailers, of air cooled mx bikes. Maybe around 150? Mostly all yellow to my disappointment. So that got me going on picking 1. A 250 at least, he does have a 500 Can Am, but parts availability is very important. Whatever I end up with, will probably get trashed monthly. I do plan on training and racing it, near religiously! He has a couple Hondas, too bad I know about the forks. Never a big fan of the early mono shocks. So that leaves the frigging RM's. How are parts for the 77 to 80 250's? Maybe a little more bore? What big bores were good in that same era? Next weekend I will go with a pocket full of 20 dollar bills!

Mar 18, 2006
better to ride a yellow "S" bike than be tossed over the bars on a yellow "Y" bike, I think.

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I recently met a guy, with a barn full, and 2 trailers, of air cooled mx bikes. Maybe around 150? Mostly all yellow to my disappointment.

I would love a late 70s RM. I used to have a 77 125, it was a POS, but it was still cool. :cool: I paid 125 bucks for it. Now any decent 70s mx bikes seem ludicrously priced.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
77's looked a lot sleeker in my opinion, 78 was the first year of plastic gas tanks and they were pretty clunky looking. I had a 78 and loved it but there was no comparison to the suspension and motor on my 86, that full floater stuff was top notch.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
He has a few floaters. All are rolling with most everything there. Most from 75 to 80. The majority being 125's. Mint YZ100, Husky CR125, Hodaka and on and on. I was going to take pics, no way, next time a video camera! Bill gave me the idea of getting some newer forks on the 79 or 80 CR 250, he had 3 or 4. I did not remember 1 kaw. I rode the snot out of the 77, 78 and 79 RM 125's, never the 250's. My CR 250's, from 78 to 80, the only bike I remember getting beat by was another honda! Air cooled, no metal gas tank, and a 250 with parts available?

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
No Kaw's???

My first real mx bike I bought was a brand new 1979 kx125 when I was 18. I have been 1/2 assed looking for one lately, you know the old middle aged man I wished I had that old bike again syndrome :yikes: This past Aug. we had our annual AHRMA NATL. at PTR MX and low & behold a guy shows up with a 79 kx125 the bike was mint, with ohlins shocks, nice new shiny plastic etc. I went down to the starting gate while he was waiting to start his moto and struck up a conversation with him about the bike and my past history with his choice of vintage iron. I watched all of his moto's and the bike sounded sweeeet, and he won both the classes he entered. I went up to him at the end of the day and took some pic's of his bike and gave him a free pass to the gate with my phone # and told him if he ever wanted to part company with it to call me. His response was, I will add you to my list :bang: I didn't realize it at the time , but the production #'s were very low on this bike app. 2600 world wide. A friend and I bought 2 here in Lansing in 79 and had to order them from our local Harley/ Kaw dealer who didn't know squat about dirt bikes. AHHHH memories I guess that is all we have from our youth. :( I hope I didn't bore anyone with my story :blah:

DAVE L.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That year, so far suzuki is the only one with any oem parts still. Zip on the honda, and probably the kaws also. I sure do not know about the yz's. The ones I rode felt weird!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Get a Maico and then join endless web groups talking about them, buying parts, etc., then go to Mid-Ohio next July and race it, or watch, and talk to Maico nuts hawking their wares. Or Hodaka, or Ossa, or...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Now I am leaning towards the rm 400. It will run circles around a maico, as far as parts are concerned! Blow a gear on that bad boy, 500 bucks for a custom gear, no wait, you have to mate it with another new gear! I have not checked parts for the 400 yet, the 250 sure had a bunch! The looking at it in my garage never did much for me, now taking it for a ride?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
My friend loves his RM and YZ. He has a 77 RM370 (moto-x Fox) and a 79 YZ250. He races both. They are pretty reliable no doubt. I guess it just comes down to what you want and nothing else really. Every bike has it's followers and I'm pretty sure they usually back thier brand. If I had the money I'd take a phantom in pristine shape and then my loyalty would shift, ha!

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
By a 80 YZ465 and don't worry about parts.I have yet to have a part I could not find.Many parts are still available OEM.Haven't been tossed over the bars either.Old suspension can be tuned too.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
So yz's and rm's are still good for a lot of oem parts. I think he had both the 370 and 465. Get a 250 and hop it up, or the 370 and try hanging on? My wallet says the 370 would be the ticket. That 465 would be pretty mean. I would have to get AJ's patented "double kick" down pat for starting! It sure seems the kaws are hard to get parts and bikes?

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
As long as the right hand is connected to the brain you'll be OK with the YZ.Jetted right mine pulls form idle.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A freind of mine had a CR500 when we were about 14 or 15. Not a single one of us was over 135 lbs. :whoa: It took a very precise procedure to avoid being ejected. A couple guys sprained thier ankles. Once we got it started it was like watching a rodeo. :yikes: :rotfl: Way too much power for anyone novice under 200lbs.

The 370 sounds like it could be fun! :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some of my most horrid races was on a 93 or 94 cr500. The worst bike to start. AJ can actually kicks it twice before the kickstarter reaches bottom.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Well?

What did your pocket full of Jacksons get you?

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
How about a CZ400, you don't have to worry about parts if you cant break it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I love the silencer on that 370. Why even bother? :think:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am going Sunday. He has two of them 370's. I have never rode a CZ, I know parts is a joke. And I know old euro dirt bikes are a joke for parts just falling off while in use, loctite nothing, drill and wire it! Believe it or not, that little silencer on that 370 makes a world of difference, off bottom!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm pretty sure the one on my old 125 was bigger!?? :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That pic of the 370, the 125 from the same year, should be the same size. They were not rebuildable? I think I could fix that. Sunday morning it is. The Hodaka and Husky are gone(saturday anyways) But, I will get a video of this collection, with owner approval.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
Old euro bikes are a joke? I have and have had way to many early mx and yz yamahas that I love, my CZ is way more dependable and cheaper to fix then my yamahas.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You have availability of transmission gears? How about cranks? Seriously, the CZ's were an awesome machine for its time. If I had my way, I would have one to look at in my naked room. And, how did the 80 CZ's handle? 74, they were probably the best cornering bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…