fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
OK, I pulled my ACL completely off the shin (Tibia maybe?) on July 20th. Luckily there were no tears, just a chipped bone where the ACL connects to the bone. I've been seeing the Ortho every two weeks since then. We didn't do surgery, just let the bone piece that chipped off with the ACL mend itself back with my shin.

Things have gone great, and I just got cleared to go back to the reserves and to resume normal activities. I rode my new bike a few times last month but very gingerly. I asked him if the normal activities could include riding, and he told me to ease myself back into it.

Now that I am cleared, I just wanted to ask you guys what you would recomend to help strengthen my knee so I am able to race next March. I am gonna go to a practice track this weekend to play around, but nothing too serious until March. I would just like to hear some feedback from everyone on what they have done to help strengthen the knee after injury...;)

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
i ripped my PCL completely in half about a year ago. i opted to not have surgery and was out for about 2 months. the leg lost a lot of muscle while i wasnt using it and it still might be slightly smaller than the other, but it never really gave me any trouble. you might want to start doing light weight training or just aerobic excercises to strengthen it, just make sure you dont overdo it

colorado-high

Jul 4, 2000
I am 3 months post-op on the second ACL surgery on the same knee.The best thing that I have found to strengthen the leg is to ride a bicycle.I bought a cheap bicycle trainer and mounted my mountian bike with a slick on it.I ride it for 30-45 minutes every day.Also do leg squats and lunges holding about 10-20 # weight in each hand.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Knee

I went the therapy route after ACL repair and one of the things they stressed was getting the range of motion back first then working on the strength.
If the ligaments and tendons are too tight along with the decreased strength of the muscles in the thigh etc. it could easily lead to re-injury.
Maybe even look into a knee brace to help limit the possibility of hyperextending the knee.
Scott

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I am in the throes of post-op ACL physical therapy. Not fun I tell ya. My ROM sucks right now, but I can put weight on it ok.

Strengthen those quads! Your quad muscles do a lot of work and can prevent injuries. Don't forget inner and outer thighs too. I know it's a girly workout but those machines where you push it side to side work pretty nice . . . and watch out for leg extensions. Squats or the leg press, calf raises, leg curls, and the inner/outer thigh workouts plus cardio is what my pre-injury workout was, and I can't wait to get back to it.

Top Bottom