Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
I helped my husband stud up a Kenda tire on Saturday, which took us a little more than three hours! :eek: I was the glue girl. I put a little drop of glue on the screw and he screwed the Kold Kutter screws in using a drill. I believe we put 1300 or so studs in the back tire alone.

On Sunday we loaded up the truck with two snowblowers to clean the track, a couple of shovels, a few old tires to mark the track, and our KTM200 Exc.

The first time I tried it was right after we had cleared the track and it was glare ice. It was the oddest, most wierd feeling for me. I could hardly stand on the ice, but the bike really did have good traction. I can't say I tore up the track because I was riding pretty cautious just to get the hang of it.

By the last time I rode, the track was getting ground up like a snowcone and snow was blowing and sticking to the track. I was trying to slide a little more with the back tire and I noticed that I really had to get on the gas to do it. I only got up to 3rd gear because I didn't want to get too much speed going. I can see now how the guys get so hooked on this ice riding thing.

Now if I could just get some handwarmers on that bike . . .
:think

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Lisa,

Only you would have the patience to put all those stupid studs into a tire. I wish I had your patience. Lisa is a very talented quilter as well. She made me the coolest little one to hang on my wall and I love it. That is one thing I wish I could do because they are so cool but I just can't. I have another friend who does that and it is amazing.
Anyway, sounds like the ice was fun but getting it prepared was not. Shovels, snowblowers, glue, etc. . UGH! I am sticking to the dirt. Someone tried to get me to do that but I just kept thinking I would get run over by someone else and then look like ground girl.
I am glad you tried it. Besides you need to be on the bike getting ready for the Nebraska enduro. Has Dave gotten an entry form yet? I haven't.

Nicole

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Ice Racing???????

I think I'll use that if I ever end up in a pond or lake, "Hey, I was trying to ice race!"

Too bad I live in Texas:confused:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I almost got conned into ice racing in a skating rink, just an oval track. It sounded interesting but I couldn't afford screws for my bike at the time. I might try it again but the thought of doing it on my KTM scares me . . . maybe a BBR or even stock TTR would be better.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Kold Cutters and Kendas provide excellent traction on the ice. Gotta enjoy leaning the bike way over and hanging the bars just inches off the ice. Watch out for those corner exits though. They tend to get rutted up :eek: . The weather here has been warm for too long so the ice is dangerously thin :( . Removed my ice tires last night and mounted up the knobbies. That pretty much guarantees a cold front will blow down from Canada and cover us in a blanket of snow and ice for another month. :scream:

Dirtygirly

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Firecracker...you did go ice racing. Remember the Turkey Scramble. And no studs..:eek: I don't think i would want to try that again unless i had studs.

Leapin Lisa, you are a brave soul

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You're right, DG, that definitely counted. It was also very brutal. Next year we'll stud up . . . that sounds hilarious. :p

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Motogrl: I'll admit, it was fun. I was pretty cautious because it was my very first experience. This weekend my husband will put Trelleborg tires with carbide studs on my GG enduro bike and we will be doing off-road riding instead of ice riding because I really need to get some hours on my bike for the April 28th enduro in Nebraska with Girlrider.

I sure envy you having a front end loader. All the guys were talking about how nice a Zamboni would be for cleaning off the ice. Even a little Bobcat would be fabulous (and the factory is right here in Bismarck!) It takes a good hour or so to clear a track to ride on, and that's with four snowblowers.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The only excuse for four wheelers...

Originally posted by Leapin Lisa
I sure envy you having a front end loader. All the guys were talking about how nice a Zamboni would be for cleaning off the ice. .

If you get some four wheeler guys to come out they make excellent track sweepers.
The wider tires push all the fluff to the outrside of the track.
we would run four wheel classes just for this reason.
Wheel chair track sweepers...
When it gets colder you will have less problems with ice chaff buildup.
The ice gets harder.
I would armorall my tires so they cleared the ice chip swarf better.
Have you lowered your bike?
Try a 19" front wheel and you'll be hooked!
The only thing I miss about the midwest is ice-racing.
Thanks for talking about it...:)

Top Bottom