I' ve got the dirt on the new TE 250

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
Ok a friend went to Italy to learn the technical aspects of the bike. This is the email he sent me. More than what is on those websites

We will have both a 250 and a 450, in both TC and TE versions. The TC is a 5 Speed, the TE is 6.
The bike is slim, using the bodywork from the current 2 strokes. I don't have an exact weight for the bike, but when I get bikes here, I'll weigh it myself. The bike felt light, no not light like a 125 2 stroke, but certainly not piggy like a KTM 4 Stroke.
I will have some email pics to send by friday...
The engine design is fantastic, and refined. I rebuilt the entire engine in less than one hour!!! They really put some thought into this thing... There's only 1 shim in the trans, all side cover screws are the same length, etc.
Notes:
-Electric Start, with optional kick starter- aluminum plug in side case, drop in the shaft and 2 gears- done.
-Valve adjustments should take no more than 1/2 hour. There is a creative shim design here...
-Dyno runs: 36-38 out of the 250, 51 from the 450. I saw only 45hp from some ugly red 450cc unit that people are talking about...Yes this jap was jetted properly and given every chance to show it's best. These are Rear wheel #s, not output shaft #s like many like to quote (Bench Dyno)
-Very Hi-Tech ignition- Gear position sensor and Throttle Position sensor. This means 12 maps in the ignition box. Yes, TC and TE get different maps.
-Bikes will start to show up here in late Dec. They will be in short supply at first, but we should have regular shipments coming in January. I'm quite sure there won't be enough to fill all the orders, but better to sell out than have leftovers........ I'll let you know when I can snag a demo..
- For the time being, check out www.husqvarna.it Click on enduro, the change to english in the lower left

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
very very nice :)

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
So, the one-thousand-dollar-question remains... How much does it weigh??? I know what they claim, but what does it really weigh? Anyway, looks like you could subtract a good 60 lbs if you get rid of that billboard holder on the rear fender. What country would need a plate holder THAT big?

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by SCHLAVA
Ok a friend went to Italy to learn the technical aspects of the bike. This is the email he sent me.
...The bike felt light, no not light like a 125 2 stroke, but certainly not piggy like a KTM 4 Stroke....

ooooh, that could irk a few pumkin owners :)

The more I hear about this bike the more I'm sure it will be my next ride. Unfortunately I'll probably have to wait a few years finance wise, but hopefully by then there will be a few used ones around. :D

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
Seems like some people will do anything for a new Husky 4 Stroke.

I believe there is one Husky TC 250 floating around in England.It was stolen form the Dirt Rider Expo show in stoneleigh last weekend.Theives made off with 2 Husky's of The Husqvarna stand on Friday night via a nearby Fire Escape!!!
This is what I heared of a mate of mine working at the show.

Last edited:

mgorman

May 8, 2000
Some one once stole a pre-production carbon fibre fork from a bicycle show once. The manufacturer was hoping that the guy fitted the fork to his bike and rode it before he found out the steering tube was just stuck in the crown and not bonded...

That's one face plant worth the price of admission to watch

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by Milquetoast
So, the one-thousand-dollar-question remains... How much does it weigh??? I know what they claim, but what does it really weigh? Anyway, looks like you could subtract a good 60 lbs if you get rid of that billboard holder on the rear fender. What country would need a plate holder THAT big?

The US model will not get that huge rear fender.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
The 2001 TE400 was $6100, I imagine the 2002 TE250 will be about that maybe a little less, and the TE450 a little more.
I would bet they will be competitively priced with the Yamaha and Honda 4-strokes.

Last edited:

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I talked with Fred's chase rider, Marc Grossman. He said Fred loved the bike. All he had to do all week to it was change the oil and airfilter and it ran like a champ.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Oh man, I am really getting the hots for that 450. Hope I can actually find one to sit on and weigh, unlike the Husabergs (special order only around here).

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Nice looking bike. The tank looks smallish for an enduro mount but the spark plug looks very accessable unlike my WR250f. What is all that crap hanging from the bottom of the Husky near the footpeg? Shipping brackets maybe?

Thump on!

Michael Coons

Apr 12, 2000
OK, OK, the styling is a bit unique around the tank, but I gotta admit it is a nice alternative to the KTM RFS Line. could not find any specs on the bike, IE Suspension dimenisons, bore x stroke, etc... Anyone else gotta bit more info, instead of :p"not piggy":p for weight specs ???

The Husky's were reported to have been very "vibey" in the past, I wonder how this this new engine will do ??? Did they ever drop the Dell Orto carb ??? Right hand kick on this model, with the kick starter kit ???

I thought the Gas Gas Guys were finally going to come out with a racing 4 stroke this year. Must be hung up on the fuel injection, like Cannondale was.

MC

Top Bottom