I would love to ride on an mx track

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Had a momentary lapse of sanity today after watching people train at Motoland in Indiana- I want to ride on an mx track. This is definitely more doable than me wanting to dive the Great Barrier reef ( too expensive and I might be dinner). Anyone want to take an mx class with me? Anyone want to teach me the basics? Have any of you women ever done this and how did you start?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I took Debbie Mathews MX class in Hollister back in 2003 with bratt. It was really intense and if I had stuck with it, I probably would have used and remembered the skills. I'm not an MX'er but understand the draw of the track :) I'll try to find the link to my post after the school...

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I pretty much only race MX tracks here in Michigan. What city are you in? I think you said once, but I forgot...

Grattan or Dutch Sport Park are probably the most user friendly tracks. I know there are quite a few "A" guys that do their own MX schools.

Andy Myers-www.mxreplay.com (MI owned and operated site) I've known him for years. He's an awesome rider and does what he teaches. Pretty reasonable too. On the MXreplay site click on the icon that says "Myers training schools".
There are a few more too. As soon as my brain fart is over I'll post them...lol

You'll have to ride with myself and my husband sometime this year. We usually race at Big Air, Grattan, Dutch, Red Bud, Log Road, Victory Lane and a few others. We'll be practicing at Thunderbird, Big Air and Morelands.

Motoland is a SWEET track. We have been going there with a few other DRNers for the past couple of years and plan on going again this year. We do that right after the Red Bud National.

Phil has been riding since he was a kid and racing on and off since '98. I have been racing on and off since '00. We can give you a hand too. Just e-mail me and let me know.

Last edited:

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Mxgirl230,
Tracy, Do You And Phil Ever Come To Portland To Race??? We Are Going To Be Opening The Track Soon And Was Wondering If You And Phil Would Be Interested In Being Guests For A Day Of Riding/practice At Our Facility??
Let Me Know If Your Interested.
Dave Leathers.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hello - next time you're by Motoland, you might want to check out this track too: http://www.kingsburymx.com/index.htm

It's on the next street over from Motoland (less than a mile away) and it more beginner friendly than Motoland. The dirt isn't as sandy, and the terrain isn't as crazy (it's pretty flat with some mellow rolling hills). They have practice every other Sunday, and usually aren't as busy as Motoland either.

I live about an hour from Motoland, just across the IL/IN state line, so maybe we can meet up sometime. I've been racing/riding for 10 years now, started riding 2-stroke 80's, moved up to 2-stroke 125's for a few years, and have spent the last 5 years on 4-stroke 250F's. Do you have a MX bike yet, or just getting started with all of this?

As for classes, ask around at the tracks for any beginner type of classes. I've only attended a few informal classes, but sometimes it's hard when a few riders are complete beginners and other riders are more intermediate type of riders. Sometimes 1-on-1 instruction is the best method for getting started, even if it's starting in a flat field or on some trails or at a riding park. You'll want to learn the basics before you get on a MX track, especially a track like Motoland.

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
D.LEATHERS said:
Mxgirl230,
Tracy, Do You And Phil Ever Come To Portland To Race??? We Are Going To Be Opening The Track Soon And Was Wondering If You And Phil Would Be Interested In Being Guests For A Day Of Riding/practice At Our Facility??
Let Me Know If Your Interested.
Dave Leathers.

Sure! We would LOVE to!. Let me know when and I'll work it out with my work schedule.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Tracy
Watch out for what Dave promises.
He promises to ride with us and then never shows.
Just kidding. He’s a good guy.

Dave
What has happened to you? We have wondered if you fell off the planet. Bruno has been trying to call you.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Getmetoca- I read your post after you took the Debbie Mathews class. Thanks for the detailed report. What a great experience you had.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
MXGirl230- Dutch is 5 mi. from me. Thanks for the info. on tracks and training schools. I don't have the ability at this time to ride with you or your husband, but I'll definitely watch for you two at the races. WOW, you've raced all over the place.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Nikki-I checked out your videos. You FLY. I can only dream of riding Motoland but am interested in the neighboring track.Thanks for the info and advice. e-mail me if you're headed that way this summer. Right now, my family has hidden all the motorcycle keys from me until my leg is healed. Then I can use my daughter's TTR. I'll be switching to that instead of the TW which people laugh at but had given me 6 months of joy and adventure last year.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
medwaste said:
MXGirl230- Dutch is 5 mi. from me. Thanks for the info. on tracks and training schools. I don't have the ability at this time to ride with you or your husband, but I'll definitely watch for you two at the races. WOW, you've raced all over the place.

I haven't ridden since the beginning of September. So you never know...I'm not that fast, I just love to ride. I'll let you know when we'll be at Dutch.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
WomanRider said:
Tracy
Watch out for what Dave promises.
He promises to ride with us and then never shows.
Just kidding. He’s a good guy.

Dave
What has happened to you? We have wondered if you fell off the planet. Bruno has been trying to call you.
HEY LUANN I KNOW I WAS AWOL FOR THE TIN CUP RIDE, I'VE BEEN IN MY WINTER CAVE :bang: I THINK I'M READY TO COME OUT NOW. I WILL TRY TO COMMIT FOR THE NEXT RIDE. HAS BRUNO GOT THE NEW BIKE READY TO GO YET?? YOU GUY'S ARE WELCOME TO COME OUT TO PORTLAND AND RIDE ALSO, WE OPENED THE TRACK TODAY. I WILL BE TRYING TO SET A DATE TO RIDE NEXT WEEK-END WITH TRACIE AND PHIL. IT WOULD BE A GOOD WARM-UP FOR YOU BEFORE THE HARESCRAMBLE ON APRIL 15TH. :ride:

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
Thats what is nice about this web sight, always comming across something cool. I did not know kingsbury had a trak untill I browsed this post. Motoland eh? I looked it up and its only 30-45mins from me. I had passed through RT6 and RT35 from time to time on service calls and never knew I'm glad this thread was here, And the web sight shows it has a nice track to run on....ty....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom