MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
I noticed some notes about the iCAT and wondering if it worked. Well, I was very skeptical, and it appears I was the first guy in the US to try one. I put one on the KTM150 (144kitted Gorr bike) and did some first and second gear starts. No diff. Then I tried it out on the track, on the gas hard. No diff. Then I found a corner and abused the hydraulic clutch and used third, turning uphill towards a double that I could barely clear on the bike. No diff.

I tried it with the iCAT installed, and the iCAT removed. Tried it back to back plugging it in, taking it off. No diff.

No diff, because everything was at wide open throttle settings. I was riding down the track, went to turn around to ride back to the uphill corner that goes to the double and when I rolled the throttle on, the bike jumped. I don't mean a little, I mean it was VERY noticable. I was very confused. Then instead of screaming the engines guts out where it couldn't rev any higher anyhow, I started rolling the power on. Guess what, the bike without the iCAT would bog in situations that the iCAT fitted bike handled easily. I'm a big guy - and the little bike is way too small. The jetting without the iCAT was a little on the rich side. With the iCAT it cleared up a great deal!

Basically what I reported is that it cleared up the jetting and the bike not only had better throttle response, but that is REV'd MUCH-MUCH quicker! There is no doubt about that one. It was pretty amazing actually - how much quicker the bike pulled through the gears.

One thing that is noticable is this: On full mod bikes, sometimes when you add new items, they don't have much affect/effect. This bike has a big bore kit, FMF pipe, FMF silencer, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gorr porting... it wouldn't seem that too much could be done to make the bike faster - at least not a bolt on item. Seat of the pants wasn't even necessary though, it was obvious with this thing on -vs- off the bike.

Is it worth that much money? One thing that is nice, is you can take it off your bike and install it on another bike according to Ron Monk of Pro Action who is selling these items. He says they will work on both 2 and 4 stroke - after my very nervously posted story - I saw that both Timmy Ferry and Chad Reed tested them on their bikes and their response to the items were exactly the same as mine. Maybe not a huge increase in HP, but cleaner jetting, better throttle response and the bike(s) rev'd much quicker.

That made me feel a bit better about my report when I saw that these two factory riders were stating the same exact thing.

Peace.
Mikeee P

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
Oh and back to the seat of the pants thing - there is no doubt in my mind that the iCAT fitted bike I was riding was much faster than the non-iCAT fitted bike (same bike) so in a race, it would be easy to state that the iCAT fitted bike would smoke the non fitted one.

How does it work? I dunno. Does it work? It was pretty obvious.
MP

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
I'll see about getting you the one I have to try out. Basically we've tried it on the KTM150 kitted bike (144cc) and right now a guy is trying it on his mod PW50 and didn't tell the kid it was on there. He came back in going "Daddy this thing is fast, what did you do?" or something very close to that.

If and when I get this one back, I'll send it over for someone to try.

It's a long explanation, but if you check out their site mentioned above, it will give you the details of how it works.

Basically and quickly though it was designed as a catalytic converter. It helps to burn normally unburnt fuel thus it gives you better throttle response, quicker revs and better jetting ie: less spooge etc... These are all side affects though, it is designed to clean up the exhaust of the vehicle. Running better is a big bonus though.

Right now from my understanding there are a lot of pro riders secretly running them, drag racers in both cars and on bikes etc...

Peace.
Mikeee P

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Hmmmm.... I would like to see some technical evidence of this. $225 is a lot for a "In line spark advancer" that I doubt does much.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I was interested in hearing more, but I can't help but think BULL CRAP.
Oh, BTW if you want REAL information you had best stick to DRN, Freshdirt has B.S. loaded up the you know what. Rich needs to step into this one... MikeeeP you had better watch out then!

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Why don't we see some formal tests before we jump him studboy? He is just posting some info and stating his opinion( we are still allowed those right>?) that's all :think:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Alright, Alright, I'll give him a chance to defend himself.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Studboy, I doubt he even will to those comments. To me Mike seems like a pretty informed individual when it comes to Tech. concerning bikes.

Clik HERE.

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
Thanks Mod it's appreciated (you pulling that for me).

Basically I don't have dyno facts, just seat of the pants knowledge of a bike, and then the same bike with the item added.

I also have the knowledge that both Timmy Ferry and Chad Reed liked it enough that they were taking it to Yamaha. James Stewart also tried it on his production bike, liked it enough that he is taking it to Kawi - actually both of these companies have had them now for a while - but getting a new item on a works bike requires some serious testing in most cases. They certainly don't want to lose a title with an untested item.

With that said - as noted above in a thread, when (and if) I get the iCAT back from the person testing it, I'll send one to DRN to test. I'd personally like to see some dyno runs. It didn't feel like a huge HP gain to me, just much-much cleaner jetting. When the bikes jetting was cleaned up later, the iCAT still responded very well on the bike.

I have no affiliation with the company making/selling these items. I just got my hands on one for a test.

Peace...
Mikeee P

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would still like to see some REAL data on the product. How, why does it work? Posted by MikeeeP "Basically and quickly though it was designed as a catalytic converter. It helps to burn normally unburnt fuel thus it gives you better throttle response, quicker revs and better jetting ie: less spooge etc... These are all side affects though, it is designed to clean up the exhaust of the vehicle. Running better is a big bonus though." I do not see how it was designed as a catalytic converter? How can a slightly stronger/longer spark help your jetting? As you say it does... Quoted from MikeeeP"Basically what I reported is that it cleared up the jetting and the bike not only had better throttle response, but that is REV'd MUCH-MUCH quicker! There is no doubt about that one. It was pretty amazing actually - how much quicker the bike pulled through the gears." I would like to see some real data on this one. How does it make the bike rev faster? I would also like another question clarified, in one statement you say that you couldn't tell any difference at wide open throttle, but then in another statement you say that your bike runs through the gears faster? Is that NOT at WOT? "It was pretty amazing actually - how much quicker the bike pulled through the gears." I am anctious to see one tested on DRN.

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
Studboy, you have issues man. Lighten up and re-read my seat of the pants impressions. All the answers to your comments are there. Including the fact that I said "I started rolling the power on. Guess what, the bike without the iCAT would bog in situations that the iCAT fitted bike handled easily"

It's a statement from someone who(m) has ridden the same bike for a few years both as a 125 and a 144cc kitted bike and knows it and it's characateristics well as I did the seat of the pants testing on my home track which I helped layout, build and vend at during every practice and race - I know the track well and how the bike reacts there.

Also there have been numerous comments by me that when I get it back I'd be happy to send one to DRN to check out and even stated that I'd like to see a Dyno on it.

Now, relax - take a deep breath - step back away from the computer, before you implode *grin*

Mikeee P

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I do have issues man. ;) Sorry for laying it on you so hard Mikeee, I just need some data.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sounds similar to the Nology Hot Wires! I would be extrememly interested to know if Mike has tested them with the same bikes. I know there were some great discussions about the nology product on DRN awhile back.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
OK here's my 2 cents on this.
Yep, it looks like the old Roost Boost is back That plug into the coil wire to remap the advance, not the spark wire. I remeber something like this for cars that burned oil, went into the dist cap, was actually a resister to make the coil work harder, like when you pulled the wire out a smig to get a flooded engine to start, sold by Ronco or something!!
If I not wrong it takes your spark, lets say it's 10,000 volts, turns it into say, 12,000 volts, (hotter spark)
The let's say your actual spark duration is 1/10 of a second, it runs it longer, so it can burn more fuel.
That's why it works better as you roll the throttle on, stronger spark, igniting more fuel, remember puttin' a hotter plug in your bike to pick up power and bottom end???
I can see where a stronger spark would be better, longer to ignite the fuel.
It's not going to increase HP very much but it should have the engine USE the HP better.
That's how I figure it anywho!
Joe :)
2000 ATK 125
1998 KTM 200
2-TTR 125's Boy "A"'s and "B"'s
There's only racing and getting ready to race, everything else is nonsense! :)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Maybe somebody can do a shootout, Roost Boost vs. iCat vs. Nology Hotwire!

If it's nothing fancier than a Roost Boost, that price tag is pretty rediculous.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
For all the people who are quick to bag a product before they give it a chance and those seeking more technical info.
Look here, gb60-iCAT

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Sounds a lot like the Nology HotWire that I also found made my old KLX300 start better but didn't notice much else. In the end I think it was just a crutch for a weak ignition. But I believe it was only $35. The icat guys claim there product is much more and the price tag and your results both back that up.

$225 is a lot, but if people will spend $700 on an exhaust for their new thumper then I guess they figure what's another $225...

Top Bottom