Ignition Stator? Pickup? Problems with 2000 300 EXC

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am hoping you guys can help me out. I tried to get out for a ride on Saturday, which was promptly cut short. I was :pissed: What a crappy attempt at a ride! 8 or 9 miles in a rider crashes big time into a 2 foot deep mud hole, then a few miles later my bike dies!

We had only ridden 10 or 15 miles, stopped for another rider to mess with his bike (seems that soggy 525 was not liking the soaking or something!), got the 525 sorted out, and went to restart my bike, nothin doing. Checked spark - nothin, New plug nothing, pulled kill switch lead, nothin! Checked connectors - nothin. After being hauled home in the back of a truck, swapped in a buddys coil and CDI, still nothing in either case! My conclusion is pick up coil and or stator. Here are my questions:

1) How can i best determine if it is pick up coil or stator? Does anyone have the test specs for resistance between the various leads.
2) If pick up coil, can they be rewound? I know stators can be.
3) Suggestions on places to do a rewind? Or aftermarket new stuff?
4) Used take off stuff an option?

Any advice appreciated! :worship:

bluesboy

Mar 8, 2004
I had exactly the same problem with a Gas Gas 2 stroke some time ago. In the end I sent the stator and pick up to a local rewinder in the UK. It wasn't much cheaper than buying a new unit but they did at least confirm that my stator was faulty rather than buying a new stator in the hope that your original one is faulty.
I'm sure you could find a local rewinder advertising in MX or Enduro mags or newspapers in your part of the world.
Hope this helps.

pumpkinhead69

Nov 1, 2004
i had the same problem with my bike and it was the stator. i was however lucky because there was a broken wire on the stator that i just needed to resolder. i have heard of one other person with this problem and maybe there is a quality control problem with the company who makes the stators for ktm. also check any wires grounding out against the frame, like under the tank.

good luck
mike

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I will tear it down farther later this week and will see what I find. I contacted RickyStator, they indicated the pick up coils just dont fail on these, but all he can offer is a "compatible" stator from a RM which powered the power valves with what my KTM would have to use for lighting.

Any specs out there to test with?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
garyb

I tried to send you a PM, but your account is not set up for that. (i think you have to be a "subscriber" for that?)

I am very interested in the stator! Please email me directly at
[email protected]

(hey moderators...please dont delete or move his post - at least until I can contact garyb to get this part I need - I cant afford new right now!)

Mike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom