PD10913

Apr 1, 2007
My 98 XR600 is an absolute pig to start when cold, I am lucky if it starts with 15 - 20 mins continuous kicking so always opt for a bump start, when warm it's pretty good but I think could be better.

I have tried all of the various starting techniques and none are really effective, I think I have got the jetting about right, once it's going it runs very well and I have played with the fuel screw and don't want to upset it unnecessarily.

I lot of people say the stator can play havoc on starting and my plug does have a pretty piss weak spark so I have just removed the stator from the bike.

My question is - If I am to get the stator rewound, which coil/s do they rewind? Do they rewind all 11 or just the exciter coil (which one is the exciter coil? there are 2 slightly bigger coils than the rest) My knowledge in this department does not extend past actually pulling the stator from the bike. Any advice/info is appreciated.

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
The XR600 is known for having stator problems. Mostly a problem on the older models, but I think it will start affecting the later ones too. Its just a matter of the engine heat breaking down the stator.

Generally the stator rewinding services are just for the lighting coil.

There used to be instructions on rewinding the exciter coil on justxr.com. If you can get ahold of an aftermarket stator at a reasonable cost I would just go that route. It will fix the starting issue and have an upgraded lighting coil as well.

Top Bottom