i'm at work...anyone know the answer

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i need to order a magneto puller, i'm looking at the one's on dennis kirk webpage...but i don't know which one will work on my 87 kdx 200...does anyone know or will i have to wait till i can get home to measure threads....by the way would a normal wheel puller work?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I know that '83 and '84 use three small threaded holes in the flywheel, and a '91 uses a large diameter female thread on the ID of the shaft hole in the flywheel. The puller that I have seen at my dealer and in a Chaparral catalogue will work on the ID hole style, but not the 3 small hole style. I ended up making a puller for my older bikes. I was really surprised at how much force I needed to generate to break it loose. I used a 3/8" steel plate and drilled and tapped a 1/2"-20 thread for the center bolt that pushes on the crankshaft. Then I milled slots at 180 degree intervals to accept the 3 smaller bolts. The bolts used to hold the flywheel cover are the same thread size so I used three of those into the flywheel. The first puller that I made was too sloppy and the aluminum was strong enough. The second steel puller worked like a charm.

I am trying to use a automotive steering wheel puller using two larger holes in the '91 flywheel, but it isn't working yet. I may break down and drop $10 for the correct threaded puller.

Good luck and get back to work!!!!!

tclark2020

Sep 24, 2002
I use an automotive puller and bought some correct bolts and washers to make it fit. I had to use two sizes of washers to get them big enough, but it was still only a $1 worth. Works great!!!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
thanks all....i think my auto-puller will work too with a few mods

Top Bottom