whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
How do you guys stay afloat in these ruts..
Off of a face of a jump i tried to stay outside of the ruts but my front always seem too dive into one and i end up with my butt end turning completly around on me.. in the air and crashed big time this past wknd.. 4 times.. once almost landed on a pole.. its doing a 180 off the face..
And even when i land i can't seem to keep my balance

I have no clue except more crashing and practice But what a way to go.... Any technique i could practice before i get seriously hurt?
I can't even try to go slow in these things without losing it..
And I do have crappy stock tires too..
Thanks..:think

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
One thing you can try to do is watch your throttle controle. If you are in a rut and give it to much gas, you can pop the front tire up out the rut and become cross rutted.

Last edited:

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
First... Stay loose and centered on the bike, DON'T look at the rut as you go up the face of the jump, Your bike will go where you look.

Second... If there are that many ruts that you can't miss them, pratice getting in line with a rut and riding in the rut up the face of the jump. As mentioned eariler, careful with the throttle... Once you are able to do this, you won't tense up so much when you see them.

Third... look on the good side, it appears you are beginning the jump as required to get a great whip off... if you can't correct the takeoff, try to get the bike back while you are in the air... it will look great...
;)

Jeff

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'd have to agree with RM250'er, DON'T LOOk AT THE RUTS!
I've learned 1st hand what looking at the ruts instead of looking where you want to go can do.

Once you're in a rut I've heard that lightly dragging the front brake will help hold in in the rut if it's in a turn. i've tried but not had that much experience with it to notice that much of a difference.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Thanks You Guys!!

Yeah these things do scare me and your right i do look at them thinking Oh No ! Here WE go again..CRASH!..... I see other guys just fly thru um like crazy.. My buddy has a 2 acre Track.. And when that thing whipped me around it whipped me off the track.. Then i started thinking(maybe an XR50)
Nah. I'll try your techniques and will let ya know this week cause my little boy is making me look bad.. He called me a Wussy(thats it, No Gas for Him.. I'll show um who's the Pus i mean wuss...
See Ya and thanks..

Cactus Rider

Sponsoring Member
Jan 11, 2002
It can't be repeated enough !

ALWAYS look at were you WANT to go!
Your bike will go were you look,

If you look at a rut, you're in it.
If you look at a pole, you'll embrace it.

Dirtbiking is like target shooting, aim well and pull the trigger. (throttle);)

René

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
This is a big step for me...TY.

Went riding for 6 hours at my buddy's track.. At first I rode slow around the track thinking man, (your in for it now).. Just try it man dont be scared...smooth throttle..
2nd gear thru the ruts 3rd thru the ruts..looked ahead no carsh(WOW)..
but there were times where i came off a jump into the ruts and i cringed but forced myself to look ahead it was hard and scary but the bike just flew right thru it.I had to stop and look back at it for a while wonderin what the heck just happened?.I appreciate all the info....although i still have to get used to looking ahead.. I rode today for 3 hours at my place.. im trying to make ruts now just so i can practice.I am very impressed! Not with me, but with everyone else here. See Ya.

Top Bottom