IMPORTANT: Internet Shut down and Clean up

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Just to Inform all who don't know.........
It's that time again! As many of you know, every five years the Internet must be shut down for 24 hours in order to allow us to clean it. The cleaning process, which eliminates dead email and inactive ftp, www and gopher sites, allows for a better-working and faster Internet.This year, the cleaning process will take place from 12:01 a.m. GMT on April 2 until 12:01 a.m. GMT on April 3. During that 24-hour period, five powerful Internet-crawling robots situated around the world will search the Internet and delete any data that they find. In order to protect your valuable data from deletion we ask that you do the following:

1. Disconnect all terminals and local area networks from their Internet connections.

2. Shut down all Internet servers, or disconnect them from the Internet.

3. Disconnect all disks and hardrives from any connections to the Internet.

4. Refrain from connecting any computer to the Internet in any way.

We understand the inconvenience that this may cause some Internet users, and we apologize. However, we are certain that any inconveniences will be more than made up for by the increased speed and efficiency of the Internet, once it has been cleared of electronic flotsam and jetsam. We thank you for your cooperation.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
One other thing: Please use my e-mail to submit (via PayPal) your internet cleaning fee ($10/year or $50)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to "clean" the internet with all the servers disconnected, all that's left is the cabling and it doesn't hold that much information.:moon:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
But real whats this all about? Will all my favorit places be goan and april 3rd? THEY BETER NOT BE!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Oh COME ON. This is the same DUMB hoax that has been going on for years and years. If ANYONE types ANYTHING after my post here and asks if they really are "going to shut down the internet to clean it up" then PLEASE Send me a check for $500 for every computer you own. I have a special device that can protect your computer from internet worms that grow in your monitor. Just send me a check and my "invention" will digest the worms bodies before they eat up the internal circutry.

Also for a small fee I can tell you how to make millions of dollars per day by spending almost no time actually working. I do it and so can you.

Plus, I also have the deed for the Brooklyn bridge that I'd be willing to sell at a very resonable price waaay under market value along with some PRIME realestate I own in Afghanistan

:silly: :silly: :silly::silly:

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by yzeater
That's not really that funny

No, the original message isn't that funny but the fact that there are people who believe these hoaxes is funny as hell. Or maybe just sad.

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I feel like a complete idiot. I have fallen for the biggest April fools joke in the history of mankind. Just a minute ago, I read in the local paper that this letter that I posted was fake. KX - 727, Mike T, and gasgasman, you three saw right through it. I geuss I'm just a gulible 15 yr. old who tried to save some people from having $1000 paper weights. Now that I think about it, it would almost be impossible to "clean" the internet. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Tom Dixon
I feel like a complete idiot. I have fallen for the biggest April fools joke in the history of mankind. Just a minute ago, I read in the local paper that this letter that I posted was fake. KX - 727, Mike T, and gasgasman, you three saw right through it. I geuss I'm just a gulible 15 yr. old who tried to save some people from having $1000 paper weights. Now that I think about it, it would almost be impossible to "clean" the internet. :mad: :mad: :mad:

No sweat Tom, what could it have hurt for people to turn off their computer anyway. It's the thought that counts, right? I wish that we could clean the internet that easily, think of all the dead links that are out there, they probably make up more than half of what's there.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
All you had to say, Tom, was that you never thought anyone would take you post seriously. ;)

It's no biggie. Like Jeff said, with everything turned off, there is no internet, just cabling and phone lines.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
No prob Tom, Sometimes it's hard to tell whats a hoax and what is not. The BEST lies always have some truth in them. The truth in that hoax is that there are many dead links out there. We have all fallen for a hoax before. :)

Maru16

Mar 29, 2001
One thing i am curious about though, IS it possible to actually clean the 'net?
I mean, can't they remove dead links? Or no?

Tom Dixon

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
I don't think they could unless they cleaned all of the severs.

e.c.bert

Mar 11, 2002
I have accually seen in the early days; where the Geeks would purge their work files into the web when the job was done to open up the cash value of their lap tops. Unfortunately, there are too many repetative links for the same sight that cover pages of browser space. The only future for the net in my mind is through forums like this one; who could potentionally expand their sight to embrase additional pages based on the same format of roll out experation; and more paying advertisers.

Top Bottom