IMS Pro-Series footpeg installation problem

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
My new IMS Pro-Series footpegs arrived today and the installation has hit a snag: the existing stock springs. How hard could this be, right? Well, one end of the spring is intended to hook though a small hole in the peg and the other end rests on top of the footpeg frame mount. The end of the spring that goes in the hole is kind of an "L" shape so that it hooks into the peg. The problem is that the hole in the IMS peg is too long (thicker metal) and the "L" end won't fit far enough in to hook the peg - so I can't install the spring.

It seems like I can't be the first one to hit this problem. Anybody have a solution?

Thanks

JETPRO_X

Sep 6, 2000
BRush I too just got a set of IMS Pro-Series footpegs. The spring thing will work you just have to massage (read force on with vice grips!) it into the hole on a side angle. Hard to explain and not much easier to figure out:confused: . Just a work of caution. Although these pegs a far better than the stock ones they are deadly sharp. In one trail right after I installed them I managed to chew a hole through my right Fox Tracker Boot. Destroyed from kicking the bike over on a couple of, off camber hills.:scream:

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I'll give it a shot, but I think the spring is going to deform before it goes though that hole. Seems like a design flaw to me. If that does not work, I might try relieving some material with a Dremel tool.

ps. You are right about the teeth being sharp!. I may "de-burr" the outermost ones that are the most razor-like

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
New Springs Fix Problem

Sometimes bad luck can actually be good luck in disguise. In trying to install the springs onto the IMS pegs, one of them broke. Of course I *HAVE* to ride tomorrow and all the Kawi dealers around here are closed for the labor day weekend. I jumped on the net and located a dealer about 45mi away in Bennington who's open. Miracle of miracles, they have *exactly* two springs in stock, so I jumped on my streetbike to go get them (great day for a road ride).

To make a long story short, while the part number of the new springs are the same, the design has changed. The shape is the same except that one of the wire segments near one end is significantly longer than the same segment on the old springs. This makes all the difference in the world. They installed in the IMS pegs no problem.

Something to keep in mind if you have an older KDX and are having the same problems I did.

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
would you guys not recomend wear my k swiss with the ims foot pegs.

lol im thinkin about gettin them for my bad ass kdx but i need boots. before i do

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
After a couple of rides the razor sharpness goes away. I reallly liked the grip they had when brand new and know now why the pros have them sharp all the time. It is bad if you slip off and gash your ankle. I guess the flip flops have to go.

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
I also want to warn you against the IMS foot peg.

They are great but they put two holes of about one inch on my brand new Tech-8 boots !!! :|

You should consider grinding them a little before damage happen...

Patrick

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
Cut a little off

I just cut the spring off where it bends into the L shape end then it fit in the new pegs perfect. I tried just bending it out straight but the end was too long so I wacked them off a little.

Top Bottom