danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Hey I was curious as to what exaclty is the method for removing the kickstart gear on a clutch basket. It's not the big gear that you have to drill the rivets out of (already did that), but rather the one that's smaller and is inserted into the clutch basket itself. I don't really care about what happens to the clutch basket so if cutting it out is an option thats fine by me. BTW it's off a 91' KX250.

P.S. I already did a search on the topic and came up with nothing.

Thanks

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Glitch has the right idea for the normal do it your selfer.The vise methoud works just fine. Get all that you need set up first, then heat the old basket with a propane torch. Make sure you are going arround the alloy not the gear it's self. Idea here is to swell the old basket, then a light squirt of oil like wd-40 between the basket and gear.
Using gloves put the works in your vise so the gear is being pressed into the inside of your spacer. Insert gear same way , heat the new basket, small dab of locktite (red) press gear in and assemble.

smooth sail

Dec 10, 2001
Pressing the gear out works, but may shatter the old basket. Putting the gear back in the new basket works fine if you freeze the gear overnight, and heat the basket in a 350 deg. oven for about a half hour. The gear will most likely drop right in, although it may need a couple of taps with a hammer and block of wood. A bead of green, penetrating loctite aroung the perimeter of the gear finishes the job.
Smooth Sail

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom