dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
marcusgunby said:
How many races in sx has the rock holeshot? anyone know?

Not sure how you could find out the exact number. But he's good for a holeshot once every 4 or 5 years on average. Been in the premier SX class for about 15 years, so my guess is Mike has had maybe 3 or 4 holeshots.

Watching Mike work through the pack has been one of the great things about SX for a long, long time. The only thing more fun is seeing him get a start and a win!

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
nephron said:
No, he doesn't.

Catching Windham from 12 seconds back on the 3rd lap...not been done by Mike. LaRocco's still achieved a greatness in longevity that may never be duplicated, he's tough as Northern Territory steak, he's nothing short of a hero--but, fast as Reed, Stewart? Come on, man.

I didn't watch this race or listen to the webcast, so I don't know the specifics about Reed's situation, but I do know that week after week LaRocco gets a bad start and works his way up through the pack, having his fastest lap times toward the end of the race. He will regularly finish in the top 5, and will make the podium quite often, too. I never said he's as fast as Reed or Stewart (I've watched too many races to be able to actually believe that), but I knew that if he got a good start he WOULD have a chance (whether it's because Reed or Windham got a bad start, crash, whatever...a chance is a chance) to snag first place. He doesn't turn out the fastest lap times, but he hangs in there where other guys end up sucking wind or going over the bars. It proves that he still has what it takes to race in Supercross, not that he's the fastest guy out there. If he was the fastest, we'd see him on the top step of the podium more often.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
fender92883, Larocco did have the fastest lap time this time, they gave him the watch for it. I dont know what lap it was or anything. I was fortunate enough to be there and Reed was flying, just didnt get enough time. Larocco was haulin and I never saw him make a single bobble.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
jsned said:
fender92883, Larocco did have the fastest lap time this time, they gave him the watch for it. I dont know what lap it was or anything. I was fortunate enough to be there and Reed was flying, just didnt get enough time. Larocco was haulin and I never saw him make a single bobble.
I know they told him he had the fastest lap time and gave him the watch, but according to the AMA website, Reed had the fastest lap.
1 22 00:44.716 Main Event Chad Reed Dade City, FL Yamaha YZ250
2 5 00:45.114 Main Event Mike Larocco Corona, CA Honda CR250R
3 14 00:45.229 Main Event Kevin W Windham Centreville, MS Honda CRF450R
4 12 00:45.377 Main Event David Vuillemin Murrieta, CA Yamaha YZ250
5 25 00:45.839 Main Event Nathan Ramsey Menifee, CA Honda CRF450R

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep - Reed had 6 laps in the 44's in the main... we all looked at each other confused when they gave Larocco the watch. No idea why they did that.... It was pretty obvious for Reed to crash in the start, remount dead last, and catch up to less than 4 seconds behind Larocco, that he had to have the fastest lap of the night. Turns out Reed had the fastest 11 laps of the night (he had 5 laps in a row of 44's in his heat race).

Pretty amazing - In 26 complete laps in the night show, Reed turned 11 in the 44's. And he was in traffic the entire main! Pretty impressive! No other rider was able to put together a 44 second lap all day/night. Kevin was the closest with a 45.070 in his consi and Larocco with a 45.114 in the main.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I'd say it's safe to say Chad has the 250 AMA SX title already won. :yeehaw: By my calculations he can finish 4th in the remaining 4 rounds and still win by 2 points even if KDub wins all of the remaining races.

But as they say, it's not over until the fat lady sings. Fingers crossed Chad doesn't injure himself and miss any rounds.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Grinch!!!....dont go putting the kiss of death on him. Four rounds to go plenty can happen....100 points up for grabs. One crash one injury, thats all it takes. Still he's looking good.

Its good to see LaRocco win one every now and again......just to show em all he still can.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I don't want to see Chad (or anyone) get hurt... but I wouldn't mind for Chad to tear a radiator hose or a bust footpeg or get a flat tire or a snap a chain or something. :cool:

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
nikki said:
I don't want to see Chad (or anyone) get hurt... but I wouldn't mind for Chad to tear a radiator hose or a bust footpeg or get a flat tire or a snap a chain or something. :cool:

Come on Nikki. Don't you want to see an Aussie win the title? :laugh:

Sorry 2smoke - I'm sure I haven't jinxed him. Though I reckon their are a few out their sticking needles into their Chad Reed voodoo dolls.....right Nikki :|

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
TheGrinch said:
Come on Nikki. Don't you want to see an Aussie win the title? :laugh:

Actually... I'm a big Chad Reed fan.... but a bigger K-Dub fan. If it was RC and Reed going down to the last few races (like last year), I would be hoping Reed could pull it off. I'm a RC fan, too, but like to see someone else win a championship once in a while. So it's nothin personal with Reed... I would just love to see K-Dub get a 250cc championship after all these years of trying and coming up one or two spots short.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Grinch...isn't Reed from Corona, CA, USA--or something like that? :eek:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
No way Dr Feelgood.....thats just one of his errr residences....he's from around Newcastle Orrstraylia.....he's an Aussie mate. Thats why no one likes him.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
2smoke--I was jesting him. Of course he's from Australia.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
I know that Doctor Feelgood.......you wanting to stir Grinch up an all :) ....its an emotion that passes through us all from time to time......its all good. :)

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
nephron said:
Grinch...isn't Reed from Corona, CA, USA--or something like that? :eek:

Yeah, I don't know why they have to put down their residential address in the USA. Is it the AMA's way of trying to disguise the fact that Americans are getting their butts kicked by foreigners :laugh: Just kidding.

Seriously though, those new to the sport could think he's American if they read those details. I don't know why they don't put their country of origin down.

Angry Jim
That's like saying you want Bob Hannah to win, your living in the past man. Come on mate, you've got to move on and embrace the new champions :worship:

FYI - Jeff is the General Manager for KTM Sportmotorcycles Australia. I'm not sure if he even competes anymore in his spare time.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I think he'll be a lot better in the Nationals this year.

2smoke & Grinch--what came over me? I should have said I was 'ribbin'' you guys. :)

And I think you're right. I think most Americans do have that certain minor loathing of meddling foreigners. It's just cool to me that it's Australian this time. In my opinion, (in general) the nicest, most welcoming (after, er..they get to know you :ohmy: ) , reliable people I've met. lol, maybe they were just pulling the wool over another American's eyes. Hope that place isn't still being Americanized. Not kissing your butts, either, so don't go there. I just want to convey the point that I appreciate Reed being here.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
ok guys here is what happens as paul lindsey has explained it to me...on the AMA registration paper there is a spot for the riders hometown and a spot for residency, where the AMA will send all of the riders prize money, but when we see on TV that andrew short is from Murrieta, CA or Chad Reed is from Corona we are seeing the AMA being idiots and broadcasting the current residency not the hometown.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
It was never taken any other way Doc.....(maybe I got to start using dem der emoticon thingamajigs). Really its expected that people should support their own riders. There's nothing wrong with that.....and Ill make a little hay while the sun is shining....cause Im no fool and I know next year its gonn be a whole new ball game.

and yeh we'll just wait and see on Chad's form in the Nationals. He can ride outdoors no problem. But thats if he wants to do it in his head.....if he is half hearted about it like last year he'll be ridding for just placings again. I think though he'll have a better go...but KW outdoors will be a big challenge.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
nephron said:
...2smoke & Grinch--what came over me? I should have said I was 'ribbin'' you guys. :)...

Don't worry nephron my sarcasm radar is finely tuned. But you can keep kissing our butts if you like :moon:

:thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom