RECENT POSTS

Instant shades

2big4akdx

Lifetime Sponsor
Hey, I'm looking to buy one of those pop up type instant shade shelter things. Asking advice from fellow MTRs on which ones they thought were good units and, maybe more important, which ones I may want to stay away from. Thanks in advance.

Creeper9

Subscriber
Neal,

Whatever kind you get, just make sure you anchor it to the ground. You don't want it to end up on someone's roof :nod:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
I've had a 10x10 Caravan Canopy for the past 5 years. Paid $200 at Costco.... it came with 500 denier material, steel frame, sidewalls, and roller bag for storage. I've been very happy with the quality, construction, and value.

It looks like Costco now carries an aluminum-framed version, with slightly beefier canvas material.... Same price too.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11232119&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

http://www.caravancanopy.com/

I'd stay away from the EZ-Up brand. The models targeted for the Joe Consumer market are overpriced and are of lower quality / construction than comparably priced models from Caravan.

I also have an 8x12 aluminum framed EZ-Up canopy that I got for a steal. I like the 8x12 size better than the 10x10.... seems to work better for sheltering 3+ dirt bikes.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
Creeper9 said:
Whatever kind you get, just make sure you anchor it to the ground. You don't want it to end up on someone's roof :nod:
YES! I used to secure the canopy by hooking it to a 5 gallon can, but strong winds can still carry it away. I now use 2 screw anchors to secure it.

2TrakR

Mi. Trail Riders
We have a 10x10 (maybe 8x8?, you saw it by our RV this weekend). It's an EZ-UP brand unit, steel frame. Came with full sizes, awning, carry bag and stuff. Got it from Sam's Club. Seems like it as $180. Very happy with it for several years now.
It's the two-person model (can setup/down with one person) that makes setting it up about 30 seconds total time.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Well I like my EZup Dome2 cause it is relatively light and small when folded. I got it for around $70. No it is not super HD, but is fine for what I need. I had a bigger stronger one before and did not like the size and weight.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
bbarel said:
Well I like my EZup Dome2 cause it is relatively light and small when folded. I got it for around $70. No it is not super HD, but is fine for what I need. I had a bigger stronger one before and did not like the size and weight.

Just amke sure the top is pointed in the very center so water runs off or you will have big pockets of water suspened when it rains

woodsracer369

Mi. Trail Riders
REI= :|

I'll spend more somewhere else before those turds get $0.01 of my money

INCA

Subscriber
Kurt - It took off from the deck and against the roof. It should have been anchored to the double chair swing.

Young Ted

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
INCA said:
Kurt - It took off from the deck and against the roof. It should have been anchored to the double chair swing.
... Then we'd have a canopy and a double chair to get down from the roof... :whoa:

INCA

Subscriber
E-Z UP may be true, but you need a ladder to get it down, right?

SpDyKen

Lifetime Sponsor
EZ-up makes many different models/strengths of canopys; (maybe 4 to 6.) Their strongest costs over $700.00, (for a 10' x 10'.) Ultimately, you get what you pay for, with any brand. Compare the weights; that will give you some indication of the strength. (it takes more aluminum to equal the strength of steel.)

I have a $70.00 one that isn't worth using, but I have set up the $80.00 Wal-Mart one; it was not too bad. My Sam's Club $199.99 EZ-up is my preferred model, currently.

I hope everyone will pay attention to my next comment, please!
When setting up your sun shade, either secure it to the ground or to a vehicle, PLEASE! Imagine how it would feel to be hit in the head by anything else you might use, fuel can, et. all! The lift created by micro-burst winds on a canopy are in the HUNDREDS OF POUNDS!!(Anybody ever looked at how a 'maul' that the knights in armor used worked?)

Please consider the your own safety, as well as those of your pit neighbors!