Is a CR85 expert really too small for me?

kdewetb

Jul 7, 2002
I pretty much grew up on my cousin's XR80 (154lbs) and TW200 (260lbs) and decided that I would rather get a too small bike than a too heavy one. You see on the tight trails the little bike was so light and flickable that it actually got away from the 200. Now I am all grown up (6 ft 160 lbs) and want to buy an CR80 expert. Everybody says it is too small I must get a 125. I have never stood next to an CR80 but the website says the seat is 45.5 inches tall. That means my legs will be almost straight if I put my feet on the ground. And it is not much smaller than a CR125 (seat height 37.3 inches). I am going to ride on the trails and would like some advise if I am making a mistake or not and if so why?

dirtfree

Apr 9, 2002
for trails i would say go with a 200 or 220 kdx they are light weight and have more controlable power for trails. They are also 2stroke. But whatever u do dont go with the 80. 8yr old kids ride these.

PRO.AM

Jul 10, 2002
The CR 85 is definetly going to lack performance wise in some of the trail areas, such as steep climbes and all out straits. But in the tight turns the 85 would definatly shoot around them and probably pull away from a bigger bike. but i would still definatly go with the bigger bike with more power!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
At 6 ft. and 160 lbs. - you would be very cramped and a little underpowered on a CR 85. I'm only 5'5" and very cramped on any 80/100cc bike.

PRO.AM

Jul 10, 2002
One other thing i forgot, the CR 85 isn't going to have enough clearance for alot of stuff on harder courses, such as huge logs ect. you would have to hit somthing at twice the rate you would on a bigger bike. Anyway hope i helped some.

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
If you want a light feel and plenty of power, go for the 200SX,
I know you may not want to have a bike that big, but some of the guys in supercross weigh 130 and they're on 250's. If nothing else get a 125, tall people look silly on 85's... :confused:

Hootna

Mar 14, 2002
Get the bike that you want!!! I weigh in at 230 lbs. and I only ride 125s. Everyone tells me that I am to big when I tell them what I ride. When I am out riding attacking corners and revving the bike to the moon they just look at you like your insane. I personally was whipped by a guy on a CR85 that was your same size and like 40 years old. He saids he loves riding the bike because he loves how light it feels. The key is dont listen to everyone else, you know what you like so just go out and buy it and have fun...

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
You will not like the 80. They like to be screamed to the moon, and your experience on broad powerband bikes wont let you take to the powerband very well. The only way to get power out of these is to slip the clutch , pin it, let it rev all the way up, and feed the power to the rear wheel. It will have more than enough power to haul you around, the problem is that you will be cramped on it and you will have a hard time getting the power from it.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Try a Husky WR125. 203 lbs great powerband for a 125 and all you need to do is pop out the restrictor in the exhaust pipe. Great article on the bike in Trail Rider this month.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom