Is a pickup worth it?

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
I just turned 16 last thursday :yeehaw: and I am now in the market for a vehicle. I wanted to get a truck for the obvious reason of haulin my dirtbike around. but i also want to be able to go out with friends on weekends and drive the 12 min. to school every day.

Me getting a job (i dont have one yet) do you think i will be able to afford the gas? would it be worth it?

i just cant seem to decide any advice is appreciated.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Sure, get a 4 cylinder or even a V6 and you'll be set. Stay away from 4WD unless you really need it because that will rob gas mileage. An extended cab will be good for hauling your friends around. A manual transmission will better your economy even more. Look into something like a ranger, s10 or even a dakota. :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
My 4 cyl 5 Speed S10 gets really good mileage, even though it's 13 years old.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
IndyMX said:
My 4 cyl 5 Speed S10 gets really good mileage, even though it's 13 years old.
LOL My same setup ranger gets good mpg even though it's 17 years old :laugh:

terbo

Feb 2, 2008

another thing u could do is get a smaller car with a hitch
And pick up a small cheap used trailer but im not sure how much better gas mileage it would get than a ranger or an s-10 but you would have alot more room for your friends

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
this sounds like a job for a toyota pickup! there small easy on gas and available in 4 or 6 cylinder and can last for a very long time. i have a 93 toyota pickup and it's awesome for the bikes i can even pull a 4 place snowmobile trailer with 6 bikes on it. i have the ext. cab 3.0 v6 manual tranny and it gets good gas mileage for a 4wd truck about 15-16mpg. but i bet a standard cab 2wd manual 2.4 inline 4 would do even better my friend has one but 4wd and he gets like 18-19 thats good for a truck.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
As a new driver, you should avoid hauling several of your friends around (too big of a distraction). There are even laws addressing the matter in some areas. Of course, the S-10, Ranger, Dakota, and Toyota are all good choices, and if you get an extended cab, you will have a dry place to haul your gear.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
JD_MXRacer said:
Me getting a job (i dont have one yet) do you think i will be able to afford the gas? would it be worth it?

Gas is the least of your worries.

For the most part, the vehcile will be the cheap part. If you are only 16 you won't be able to buy the truck, it will need to be purchased and legally owned by your parents. There will need to be insurance on the vehicle, which will probably cost around $1000. Sad fact of life is that 16 year old boys are insurance nightmares.

If you can talk your parents into covering the insurance and being the legal owner then a truck is as good of a vehicle as any. Forget about the 4WD "big boy toy" type and get the basic model and they can be quite affordable.

Rod

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
well my parents are gonna pay for insurance for the first year thankfully so that should help. and I want to stay away from the 4 cyl. trucks. atleast a v6. but for some reason im being drawn towards a full size pick up. the one i have picked out is a 1996 chevy 1500 ext. cab, 2wd, auto, and with the money i have left over im going to buy a tonneau cover to help with gas just a little.

I have thought about it a lot and have accepted the fact that im not going to be able to driver wherever i want whenever i want with this truck. ill have to save money all week to go racing. so... i guess thats what im gonna do. thanks for all the suggestions ill keep them in mind when i go car shopping this weekend.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Save your money on the bed cover, it's not going to be the magic bullet cure for MPG's. Keeping tires properly inflated, proper alignment, wheel bearings lubricated, the trans serviced, air filter fresh and the engine in a good state of tune will go far further.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'd recommend trying to find a Ranger, Toyota or s-10 like the others have mentioned in a 4 cyl 5 speed. We were in the same spot looking for my son a year ago and could not come across one for a decent price. He jumped the gun and picked up a Ranger with the 4.0l v6 and the cost of fuel is killing him on a students budget.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
Save your money on the bed cover, it's not going to be the magic bullet cure for MPG's.
I'll second that. I read somewhere on the interwebs that even dropping your tailgate will adversely affect your mileage. There was something about how the turbulent air in the box would somehow cause a "bubble" that improves aerodynamics.

and one more thing: it's not a truck, it's a pickup.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Mythbusters did a show on keeping a rigs tailgate down vs up.

and one more thing, it's a pickup truck.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Chili said:
He jumped the gun and picked up a Ranger with the 4.0l v6 and the cost of fuel is killing him on a students budget.

I also had a 4.0 Ranger back in the day, and it was pretty thirsty. Ran strong, though. FWIW, the 3.0L V6 Ranger gets very good mileage.

Feb 4, 2008
Don't drive with the tailgate down, your gas milage will be worse. The tailgate up is what causes the bubble so the air can flow over the tailgate. When its down the air flows over and pushes down on the bed of the truck giving you resistance. Can't imagine that there is much differance, but it is a fact.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A Toyota or Nissan would be a great choice, ya' can't kill the darn things! Good mileage and no problem hauling bikes and gear plus easier to park. Of course I drive a SuperCrew F150 4x4 with the 5.4 and my son will be driving a '95 Bronco with 351 so being fuel efficient isn't exactly my calling card.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I don't think that americans should complain about anything being expensive. 1000 bucks for insurance for a year? I am 23 and I am still paying more than that with no accidents and no tickets. Gas up here is $1.07/litre which is more than the US prices. When I was 18 i paid $3500/ year in insurance. Since then they've passed legislation which does not allow insurance to be that high. Now I drive a 2000 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4L engine. I am a university student and I pay for everything. So yes it is possible to drive a full size pickup but it's tight. I had a Chevy up until november and all I can say is Heavy in the front and light in the back. So if you live somewhere where it snows you'll have to load up that box with sand bags. My next truck will probably be a smaller V6. Toyota Tacoma's are some of the best rated truck according to consumer guide reviews. I would go for one. And yes it's true, they never DIE!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
stumanarama said:
yeah but canadian money is worth less....

Not lately...

Don't get a full-size truck. They're pigs on gas. Sure, they look cool, but having cash to spare on fun stuff is a lot cooler.

I have a 1989 Toyota 4Runner (3.0L V6, 5 speed, 4x4) and it gets damn good gas mileage, even towing a small trailer with my bike.

If you're set on a 4x4, get one with manual hubs (unlocked they get way better gas mileage). The little four bangers do surprisingly well powerwise and are all around cheap vehicles (fuel economy, parts, etc).

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The '04 and newer Ford Rangers with the 4.0L and 4x4 get about 29mpg I believe. They are currently the most fuel efficent 4x4 small pickup you can get. I have a '96 GMC Sonoma, 4.3L, 4x4 and get a good 25 mpg with that.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
pyrofreak said:
The '04 and newer Ford Rangers with the 4.0L and 4x4 get about 29mpg I believe.

You may believe it, but the EPA does not.

FYI, the EPA Ratings for the 2007 Ranger 4x4 are as follows:

City 15/hwy 19 (4.0L engine/5-speed auto trans)

City 17/hwy 20 (4.0L engine/5-speed manual trans)

The 2wd 2.3L four cylinder with 5 speed manual is rated at 29 mpg highway.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i agree about the 3.0v6 ranger. i had a 92 model that would knock down 25mpg all day and still had enough power to pull a 17 bass boat.....stopping that boat was another matter.

i have a friend with a 1999 toyota tacoma v6 auto that gets upper teens and has 740,000 documented miles on it. it has had the valve cover off once....to replace a leaky valve cover gasket. this guy is a courier in downtown dallas so you know the truck has been through it. the only thing that doesnt work anymore is the cd player.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…