• Dodge Dakota 4x4

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • New Dodge Ram 1500

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Do you find that car dealers are abusing 9-11 by trying to make us buy Pro American? For instance, my father was at the ole' Ford dealership yesterday test driving a new Explorer, and the guy asked if my dad was looking at any other vehicles. Yes, the Honda Pilot, my dad answered. The salesman's reply was that many people don't buy them because they believe they're built by terrorists. SINCE WHEN was Japan involved in this crap at all? I more than likely wouldn't buy a car made in North Korea (but I think Korean cars are made in the South, anyways?), but that's because they're setting up launch sites to blow us to nothing. Japan is not at fault. Germany has done nothing wrong this time (suprisingly ;) ). I think I should be able to buy any car I want that isn't made by an enemy of the USA without catching flack from others. I'm not trying to get under your skin Okie, not trying to start a fight, but I don't understand your point. If you could explain yourself better to me, I'd really appreciate that. Just a couple more notes. I'm as American as you. I bleed red. Maybe I've not been around this place as long, but I still have the pride. I say the pledge every morning, and I mean it. In God I trust. If we'd like to bring 9-11 up again, I spent that day within 10 minutes of the Pentagon. Do you know what it's like to try to live your life wondering if your friends parents died? Wondering how many of the three people who work at the pentagon that live within 8 houses of me died? Wondering if the plane attacks served as tracers for the terrorists? Wondering if I would see my family that night? You may have been affected emotionally as much in Illinois, but you more than likely did not fear for your life that September day. I should qualify that statement by saying that you've spent time in the miltary, something I respect. You've had more combat time, more time in seriously life threatening circumstances. Great, you are the kind of person that makes us American. Second point, we have not owned an American car in my lifetime. Mercedes, Nissans, Saabs, Mazdas, Acuras, but no cars made in the US of A. <We should be buying an Explorer this week, btw> Once again, I don't mean to start an Anti American rally on DRN. I'm not against us. I just don't understand how buying a Non American car is a bad thing. Maybe I've blown it out of proportion. Sorry if I've offended you. Let's continue this conversation so that I can understand your side of the issue.
-Stephen

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Just a difference of opinion. I'm not going to get into this conversation here.... surely, it'll turn bad. There are times I need to keep my mouth shut (yes, I am capable of that from time to time, lol), this is one of them. Be still my fingers!

mx547 ... I've always thought that if Cannondale would have just reverse-engineered a bike and found a way to produce it cheaper, they would have sold a ton of them, that is of course how most of the major players got into the business in the first place. Instead, they invested a TON in R&D and tried to come up with something better... which is something that doesn't happen much these days. Rather than the primary focus being how to maximize the effiency of a production facility, they actually spent cash on building an inovative product. Hats-Off for the effort.

CAB

Nov 18, 1999
If you want (near) guaranteed reliability and trouble free service, get the Toyota, you can't go wrong. All the $$ you save in repairs in 5+ years will go a long way toward riding gear, bikes and expenses down the road (of course your parents will probably take care of that too). I've owned two and had the second for 13 years and 130,000 trouble free miles. Finally traded up to a chevy 2500 for my toyhauler trailer and I miss the Toy every time I have to repair the Chevy.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I had a 99 F250 Triton V-8 SD 4x4 long bed. Loved it, but it always seemed to have these little problems like the 4x4 auto switch not wanting to come out of 4wheel low, this left me in a bind on 3 occasions. I also had to replace the front bushings twice. Would cause this annoying front end knock. PC valves, 02 censors, and some other little stuff I can't remember. Oh and it got about 10 mpg city and 12/13 hwy. I sold it at 70K miles and bought a 98 Tacoma 4x4 that had 53K on it and manual hubs and shifter. Have had it for a year, at 89K miles already, and not one problem. Nothing. Zippy. Nothing but oil and air filter changes. Not even a tune up. It gets about 19 mpg city and 23 mpg hwy with bike and gear in back. Also pulls 5x10 utility trailer with bikes pretty good too. With gas prices like they are now, I smile everytime I fill up. I do miss the room of the Ford but don't miss the constant nick nac problems or huge gas bill. I fill up now for 21 bucks vs 45 bucks for the Ford. Hope this helps.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I just picked up a Nissan Frontier, hauls the bikes and kids no prob, and gets about 18mpg on average.. It is rated at 180hp and 200ft lbs torque.. Smething i found kinda funny is, my 1990 F350 was built in Canada and the Nissan in the USA :) ANd i think the Tacoma is built right here in the Bay Area @ Nummi (GM/Toyota plant)
RIck

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Check out this Chevy. Really nice HD 4x4 set up to haul bikes by Fox.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have a '98 Toyota 4x4 Tacoma right now, and it has served me well. I have the X-Cab as well as 3.4L V6 and Auto. I also have a shell and carpet kit. I have had no problems with it, I like the way it drives a lot and it does get good gas mileage. It has plenty of power. (It really pisses my friends off with the V8's, I pulled the same trailer faster than them up parley's canyon! Although, if it was a bigger trailer I'm sure they would waste me.) The only mods that I have done are K&N cone filter and muffler. (Neither of which did much). Just a few things to consider: Although the X-Cab toyota can seat 4, The back seats are fairly cramped. And, if you are going to be hauling anything really big, get a full-size. We have a F350 Crew cab and we use that to haul our 4-place snowmobile trailer. (It would bottom out the Toyota, LOL.)
For what uses you described, I would go and look at the Toyota.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Hasn't anyone heard of a Tundra? They kick the Tacoma's ass in my opinion (with the V8 f course). The Tacoma just seems too small for a pickup, but hey thats just me.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
Stephen,
It's been a month..., don't you have your truck yet?

Well Dave, I don't have a truck yet, but I did get a vehicle. I got a 97 Saab Convertible. I can keep it for as long as I want, and when (if?) I want a truck, we'll sell this and get one...here's the pic

DSCN1246.JPG

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Mac or not, 1024 pixels wide is still 1024 pixels wide! Whenever I attempt to upload anything over 600 px wide, it complains.

:think:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I voted for the Tacoma---I agree that the money you'll save on maintanence will go a long ways towards bike goodies.

Every 'domestic' I've owned over the years, (I've had several!), usually started crapping out near 100,000 miles. I got sick of pouring money into cars that were poorly designed, and bought myself a couple of Hondas; a Civic for me, and a Pilot for the wife. (The Pilot also does double duty as my bike hauler!)

My Civic now has over 133,000 miles on it with oil and filter changes only! BTW, my 'Jap' cars were assembled in the U.S., by U.S. autoworkers using 80% U.S. supplied parts. The dealer that services my vehicles is in the U.S., employing U.S. citizens. I make my payments to U.S. Honda Motor Corp. We really are a global economy, and many of these 'foreign' companies employ Americans!

I refuse to buy junk any longer just to feel good about supporting America, especially in light of the fact that many of these companies are just as American as the Big 3 in light of all the dollars they create right here in the good ole U.S. of A. (Sidenote: my last two Fords were built in Canada, the glass came from Mexico!)

If I had to get a full size, a diesel would be the only option for me, since I believe that's the one area the Domestics got it right.

I know I'm gonna ruffle the feathers of a few of you die-hard 'Detroit-Iron only' drivers, but I just wanted to explain MY reasons for choosing to drive Jap cars.

No offense intended.;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Well I'm from the Detroit area, have lived here my whole life. I have also worked for each of the big 3 as a contractor in IT. Given all that, I share your sentiments.

Should I buy a Chrysler minivan built in Canada, or a BMW built in the US? Or a Honda built in Ohio? Or a Land Rover, built overseas, but with a majority stake owned by Ford? I see a lot of Jaguars being driven around town by Ford execs who get company cars; is it un-American to drive a Jaguar?

I have been working on a software application for 3 years for an electrical union. I work at the customer site 1-5 days a week. I can't park in their parking lot because I drive a foreign car. "Park foreign cars at your own risk" the large sign reads. So I have to park out on the main the street, and watch minivans, built in Canada, and majority owned by a German company, drive into the lot.

:think:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I absolutely LOVE my V8 Tundra. I'll be willing to compare notes with any of the Ford, Chevy or Dodge gas owners when we both get close to two or three hundred thousand miles. I worked on cars for quite a few years and the number of 100,000+ domestic cars I've seen pales in comparison to the number of Toyotas. Most of the domestics had a lot of $$ poured into them just to get that far while the Toyotas only need a few oil changes. Just my personal experience.

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
OK, over the years my pro american vehicle viewpoint has softened a little. I understand some Foreign cars are built here. So heres my point,I understand that everyone who owns pickup trucks does not work constuction or a business where a pickup is essential.I am in heavy contruction [Commercial Masonry Foreman]during the week and I do residential jobs sometimes on the weekend.For me an import truck is useless :uh: I can fill my 93 F150 with 1 1\4 cubic yards of sand or 80 12 inch block or 1000 brick and the truck takes it like a man.That is way more than the 1\2 ton rating :scream: Just remember that these American vehicles were designed for this purpose A WORK TRUCK. The reason for the TOY post was that on the way home that day I saw a toyota Tundra with about 12 pieces of 10 ft 4 inch PVC pipe in the back and the truck was dragging its ass :eek:Now what requires more maintenance a passenger car or a peice of construction equiptment?If you only need a truck to move your bikes or the occasional desk great, just dont tell people you have a full size truck because some 5ft4 idiot can sit in it with his cowboy hat on. You can talk smack about the numbers all you want Ill meet you at the material yard :laugh:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Bricks, I'd like to see that Tundra. A little research tells me that your basic F150 with the 4.6l V8 has 231 hp @ 4750 rpm, torque is 293 @ 3500 rpm. GCWR is 10,000 lbs with the 3.08 gearing.

My basic SR5 Tundra 4.7l V8 has 240hp @ 4800 rpm, torque is 315 @ 3400 rpm. GCWR is 11,800 with 3.91 gearing. Towing capacity of 7200 lbs.

Are you comparing apples to apples or a basic Tundra against a SuperCrew F150 with payload group option B and non standard upgrades galore?

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
TTRGuy I was gonna give up on the basis of specs but after thinking a while I came to this conclusion,I DONT THINK SO :uh: The truck I load the snot out of is a 1993 F150 xl 4/4 4.9 I-6 stump puller.170,000 miles and still going strong.Heres a question for you. If the imports never break down, Why do the dealerships have service bays? Jiffey lube could do all the service then.I am not going to fight over this tooth and nail. Im glad youre happy with youre Tundra, Im happy with my Fords [Im on my second in 12 years] do I have to work on them, Yes I Do, I expect that for what I do to them! By the way check on TSBs [Technical Service Bulletins]for the Tundra. Ball joints, Driveline Vibration and No start condition just to list a few.I loose on the numbers thing :worship: but 24 years experience tells me otherwise.

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
get a Lightining. emmm, forced induction.

i'll be hauling my new bike around in my mini truck :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Back when I was looking for a truck I was leaning more towards Chevy and Ford until I looked at Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide. Recall after recall and piss poor electrical systems and brake systems etc, etc. It just went on page after page...

Until I got to Nissan and Toyota, shoot there was not even 10% of a page write up on either. That's good enough for me.

My Frontier does everything I need it to do. It will tow my travel trailer loaded up with all my elk hunting gear, generator, coolers, etc. And still top Diamond Lake summit at 55mph.
And my dog gets the whole back seat to himself! :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom