Votes: 15 21.7%
  • New Dodge Ram 1500

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey guys-
I am in the market for a pickup now. My parents are going to treat, so $ isn't an issue. Which one do I want? I'll be riding twice a month. One or two bikes in the back. It'll be used to drive in traffic 45 minutes to school every day (then 30 minutes home). I want to be able to take friends. Need a good looking, reliable vehicle. So...which of these should I get? Thanks a lot
-Stephen

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
If money was no object, I would go for a Ford F-250 Super Duty, with the desiel. With the list you have I would buy the Tacoma, better Quality, and much better resale then the Dodges. Look at some used models with like milage, and you will see what I am talking about!

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
This is all the truck you will ever need.  F250SD 4x4 PSD CC Lariat!!!  FoMoCo RULES!!!!!

Attachments

• f250sd4x4.jpg
    f250sd4x4.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 526

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
My Dakota was a great truck through the first 100k miles. Ive had to put about $1k into it this year to keep it running well. I would get the v-8 if I had to do it again.A really great size for dirt bikes though.

lisa'sxr4

Jul 16, 2002
I have an '02 Tacoma Prerunner Extra Cab TRD SR5 V6. It pulls our trailer with two bikes & all the camping gear plus a bike in the bed with no problems! Plus I get good gas mileage driving too and from work. This is my second Prerunner - can't go wrong! I just put the truck up for sale - as we are buying a toy hauler & have to get a Full Size F250 SD 4x4 Lariat (sorry, no diesel!) to pull the new trailer!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I would go for a new Dodge Ram QC with hemi. :cool:

or a Lincoln Blackwood if your into pimpin'

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
8" Skyjacker all spring lift, Dual Pro Comp shocks & stabilizers, 16x10 Weld Stone Crushers , 38x15.50R16 SuperSwamper Truxus STS, Line X, A.R.E.hard tonneu, EGR flares, Fabtech desert guard, 3-8" Pro Comp lights, Stull grill, Tymar/K&N Air, Magna Flow 4", Diesel Innovations chip, TTM, Auto-meter gauges.

Last edited:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Okie.....where did you find that info? I've been curious about the torque curve on the hemi since it came out. The peak torque isn't really that impressive for a 345hp motor. Ford's 5.4L "only" makes 260hp, but it only falls short of the Dodge by 25ft/lbs of torque.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Here's a direct comparison of HP and Torque, at peak ratings:

Ford 5.4L: 260hp - 4500rpm, 350lb/ft - 2500rpm.
Dodge 5.7L: 345hp - 5400rpm, 375lb/ft - 4400rpm.
Chevy 6.0L: 300hp - 4400rpm, 360lb/ft - 4000rpm.

I'll post a link of the Chevy 6.0 torque curve, it's extremely flat and almost makes its max torque from a very low RPM. I haven't seen a dyno graph of the Dodge or Ford engines to see if they are similar..

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Ditto Cam,
yz if you don't even test a Gm truck, you''ll be cheating yourself.
Even the gm 4.8 is an impressive engine. I found it superior to the other offerings small 8's as far as drivability, low end and peak.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
On the topic about GM trucks, I like them and I bought a new one in July last year, but have since found out about the widespread 'cold start knock' on the new V8's. Mine is beginning to develop it. GM isn't properly dealing with the situation, everyone is getting the runaround and they are trying to say that it is normal. The CSK usually begins at 8 - 12k miles. It sounds like valve tap but it is the pistons in one or two cylinders rattling in the bore.
Some people have been able to get extended warranties from GM due to this (100,000 miles) but when/if they start to replace 'defective' engines, these customers are exempted and stuck with the clattering engine.

GM has been aware of the problem for a couple of years now, claimed that they were working on a fix, then declared it as being normal. I suppose that indicates that the NON-knocking engines are defective?:think:

I won't buy another GM gasser unless they step up to the plate and take care of the customers. I don't like being embarrassed of the engine clatter of a new $40,000 truck. If you like your gas engine to sound like a diesel when it starts up, then go for it. :silly:

I don't believe that the piston rattling around in the bore is not causing extra wear and tear. For some reason, nobody can get a straight answer as to the design changes of the 2003 6.0L engines, which somehow do not knock.

A few people have been able to get replacement engines after threatening with the better business bureau and raising a lot of stink, but most of us are S.O.L.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
actually, i drive a ford and that is what i would recommend. but he didn't ask about fords.

how many "pro-americans" are riding cannondales?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom