dlroy101

Aug 19, 2004
I found a leftover '02 KDX200 and a '03 KDX220. The dealer would sell either one at invoice, so I told them I would take the 200. I did this over the phone and wouldn't be picking it up for a couple of weeks. In anticipation of getting the new bike, I checked out JustKDX and figured out what pipe I wanted to get. I went ahead and ordered a FMF Gnarly-Woods Pipe, which is probably on some truck somewhere on the way to my house. I went to pick up the bike today and when they went to uncrate and set-up the bike they discovered it was damaged in the crate. They could order parts and fix it or the 220 was still available. I could get the 220 at the price of the 200. I decided to take the 220. Sorry it took so long to get to this, but should I return the Woods Pipe and replace it with the Rev Pipe or should I just go ahead and use the Woods Pipe. I've read that the effect they have is different from one bike to another. I will mainly be doing woods, trails, and mountain riding and hardly any open area.

Thanks,
Darrell

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi Darrell,
I have the 220 with the woods pipe and really like it. I enjoy riding my bike in the lower RPM range and this is where the woods pipe really shows it's stuff. Unless you enjoy winding out the bike and riding it in the upper RPM range, I think you will be quite satisfied with the woods pipe. It is also a little smaller and therefore not as likely to get smashed if dropped. Good luck and congrats on getting this new bike.
Jerry

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I just got a 05 220r and put the gnarly woods pipe, powercore 2 silencer and fmf power reeds on it and it really unleashed the bike. I also ride mostly trails and up and down hills and the bike is set up perfect for me. Hope that helps.

later
Elf

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I have a 200(225) but have riden a buddies 220 with both the woods and rev pipes. Both he and i prefered the rev pipe on the 220 (and on the 200 btw). It all really comes down to riding style and preference. If it were me i would send the pipe back and get the rev pipe. Do you only lug the bike or do you like to open it up once in a while and run in the higher revs? If you like the higher revs you might be happier with the 200 but i'm not sure if it's too late for you to make that choice.

What is your style??

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
You'll get lot's of opinions here. I researched this question for a long time and finally tossed a coin and went with the rev. I really like it but later changed to a 50t sprocket to compensate for a little more torque. With the experience that I NOW have, I would say use the Rev if you ride more pipe lines and open trails. Go with the torque if you ride more woods. I really don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

dlroy101

Aug 19, 2004
It sounds like the consensus is to stick with the Woods Pipe, which going by the name sounded logical to me. I thought I read on Just KDX that on the 200 the Woods pipe was good for torque and of course the Rev pipe was good for top-end, but for the 220 the opposite was true and the Rev pipe was recommended for bottom-end and the Woods pipe was good for top-end. I might have read it wrong. Anyway, my riding is tight East Coast trails, woods, mountain/rocks. I've started the break-in and I'm ready to get it out there. Thanks for the opinions.

Darrell

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Go with the pipe you have (woods) and then get the REV next year so that you can see the difference. Then cheaply sell or give the pipe that you do not want to someone who still has the stock pipe on their bike ... that's what i did.

Now go out and ride!!!

Top Bottom