bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
my friend said that ktm is an american bike. i say its euro. he is kinda stupid, but so am i. :) what country of origin is ktm from???

-Rob
P.S. if your gonna just rag me, dont even bother to post i dont wanna hear it.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Re: ATK
I may be throwing rocks from a glass house here, but I just don't understand the ATK appeal. They have some nice parts but they really seem like cobbly, overweight, underpowered machines (kind of like a Harley)..
I'm sure they are well built machines, and correct me if I am mistaken, but I would assume that these bikes have very little potential. There's no aftermarket for them (or so it seems, but I haven't studied into it)..

Can someone enlighten this disrespectful punk? I just don't get it..

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by Cam Mitchell
Re: ATK
I may be throwing rocks from a glass house here, but I just don't understand the ATK appeal. They have some nice parts but they really seem like cobbly, overweight, underpowered machines (kind of like a Harley)..

And yet people buy Harleys... I admidt that this is a point I don't get eather but.... "Different Stroke for Different Folks!

Kevin

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Funny you mention Harley.
Do most know that Harleys have Showa forks, Mikuni carbs, jap ignitions and the frames are made by KHI (Kawasaki Heavy Industries), not to mention many other internal seals and bearings that are from Japan?
The "New" V-Rod is almost completely a metric bike.
I think the Harley appeal is from the long standing "Bad-Boy" image.

D

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
ok thanx, but i f you look at the one forum here about bikes born in the usa, youll see cannondale, ATK, and REV!. so it seems to me ATK is a stateside bike. but thats just me.

and for the crack on Harleys, it is not for the "bad boy" image, unless you are some insecure little......anyhoo, we buy harleys because of the fact that we love to ride. i currently dont have one b/c of the immense expense, but my grandparents had at least 5, (before my grandpa died
:( ) my grand-uncle the same, my uncle, and various other freinds. my grandpa was nothing of the "bad boy" theme, crapp!!!!!!!!!!!!im late for school gotta go!!!!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Sorry you feel like it was a "Crack" on Harleys. I OWN one.
I was speaking my opinion and still feel that Most people buy a Harley for a "Status" symbol, park it in the garage, take it out once a month, get all dressed in leather to go to Starbucks, and then tell everyone how they "own" a Harley. I don't get to ride mine much because we race every weekend, but that's My choice.

D

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ATK's have had great reviews everytime they put out a new bike (last new model was 1997 I believe). They come stock with pro-taper bars and FMF pipes, brembo brakes, excel wheels laced on talon hubs, and boyesen intake components, what more aftermarket stuff would you want?? I think the suspension is all WP stuff too, just like the KTM's have. They have linkless suspension that KTM copied (no bearings to replace). The ergo's are nice, easy to move around on like an MX bike. The Rotax motors are bulletproof reliable, parts are easy to come by, maybe not at your local shop but they are available. If I weren't dead set on a new GasGas I'd be considering a new ATK just because they're set up nicely from the factory.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Hey Jeff,
A buddy of mine is a Gas Gas dealer and now has become a TM dealer and Cannondale dealer too.
He switched from the Gas Gas to the TM and said he likes it better.
Have you ever considered the TM or heard anything about them.
I know they have a shweet looking 4 stroke 250 out too.

D

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ah man, I was at the two day ISDE qualifier in McAurthur, ohio last year and saw two TM's, the only ones I've seen so far. One was a 125 and the other a 250. The guys were flying on them, we chatted for a while and they said that they're a very nice piece of machinery. They look ultra trick too :D
Haven't heard anything bad about them yet, but they're still new, I'm awaiting my chance to take a spin on one of the 400 4 strokes though, be it gasgas or TM.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
ATK

alright, i have known 2 people that have owned ATK's, the key word here is owned, they are a pain to start, warm or cold, and they run terrible. it seems when i went riding w/ my friends on them, all i saw them do was kick on the things for 10 minutes just to get them to light. i just don't like 'em

meddle1999

Jan 23, 2001
My Buddy HAD a ATK406 and although it didnt handle too bad the thing was a complete piece of junk. never ran right, parts were impossible, and that stupid "amp link" think that required you to have 30 feet of chain and 2 extra sprockets just didnt make too much sense either. Well he now rides a 250exc and we no longer have to wait for him to get the "bizmark" to lite. (thank god) :)

WILDTHANG

Jan 17, 2002
My Buddy went from a 84 YZ 490 to a ATK406. He Dubbed it Ate That Ktm, I dubbed it, KTM body but it's no KTM. I never saw the rear fender, which buy the way was a KTM fender, just like the rest of the plastic.

WT 250sx

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
rotax is austria, you do realize the early model KTM's had the same rotax motors that the ATK's have now right?

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
My apologies to the ATK riders, I didn't intend to turn this into an ATK flame thread, I was just curious about a few things and had some fun with it..

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Its funny about those ATK's. I know a few guys who have the 125 and 250 Liquid Cooled ones. They either love them or hate them. These bikes were setup for East Coast type tight trails...and there are a bunch of guys in my area who think they are perfect for this area's enduro's/hare scrambles and buy them year after year. Others ride them and just can't see it that way.....I don't know about the four Strokes. Never rode one. I guess that's why there are options in the marketplace. One thing I have learned over the years you can't learn much by following the herd. And there are a lot of folks out there with a different idea of whats right than mine...and a good reason for thinking that way.

Top Bottom