Is my clutch hub notched or can i use it again, I HAVE PICS

ivanivz

May 19, 2009
here is my inner clutch hub from a 2000 rm 250, i was wondering is it still in usable condition or should i change it, im replacing the basket so need advise ............also, does anyone run tusk kits and what kind of tranny oil do you guys use........................
clutchhub1.jpg

clutchhub2.jpg

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Replace it.
I have not.
I use Type F ATF in 2 strokes.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Replace it. They are inexpensive. ProX also makes those for some bikes.

Tusk kits are great. used them on a lot of bikes, but like said I run new OEM springs.

Fluid, Honda HP tranny fluid.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Too notched up! Time for a new one.

I have a Tusk kit as a back-up in the trailer. Have not had to use it yet, but its good to hear people are happy with them.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
I don't see a problem with that one, it's just marked up, not notched! I would just run it as is and save your money. I have seen WAY worse and didn't have a problem. I had one look like the notches were melted in and the clutch worked like a charm. The basket is where you should focus on. Oh and $300 isn't exactly "inexpensive" either.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
jumpingjoe628 said:
I don't see a problem with that one, it's just marked up, not notched!
It is more than market up, if it was marked up you could see something but no feel it, I am SURE those marks can be felt. Could he re use it? Sure but when will it ever see the light of day again? Maybe the day of a important race or planned trail ride after it has gotten worse and HAS to be replaced to function. Steel is harder than aluminum so it's going to wear grooves in to it that is a fact. If he has the funds to do it now and it's all apart do it. To me putting it back in would be the same as putting a piston back in that showed similar wear. Then again I take pride in my equipment and maintaining it so that it doesn't leave me wishing I had fixed something.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
I'm just giving my opinion on what I saw. And I don't think that his hub warrants a replacement, it's not even close. Just because he has it apart doesn't mean he has to replace it. Dude, if you have the funds by all means go for broke and get nothing less than billet, but realistically, even a billet piece will wear and it's not that much better than the stock unit when it comes to wear. I mean it's still ALUMINUM right, and the plates are steel? As long as there are no lips the plates can get caught on and get hung up the wear is normal. What you want to watch out for is the peening over of aluminum and having the plates not disengage.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
jumpingjoe628 said:
I don't see a problem with that one, it's just marked up, not notched! I would just run it as is and save your money. I have seen WAY worse and didn't have a problem. I had one look like the notches were melted in and the clutch worked like a charm. The basket is where you should focus on. Oh and $300 isn't exactly "inexpensive" either.

Having owned numerous Suzuki's and broken many clutch plates in their clutches I would replace that hub. It costs a grand total of $57 at Service Honda to order that hub.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom