jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
I am new to 2 strokes and i noticed after i got done riding the other day there was little oil spots under my rear fender. There was also some around the end exhaust pipe. It kinda looked like oil was comming out the pipe. The bike is a 05 KTM 250SX. Is this normal or what?

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Yes it's perfectly normal, it's called spooge and all 2 strokes produce it if not jetted corectly. It results from a rich carb setting and is not going to harm your bike.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
just_a_rider said:
Yes it's perfectly normal, it's called spooge and all 2 strokes produce it if not jetted corectly. It results from a rich carb setting and is not going to harm your bike.
so all i need to do is adjust the jets and it will not do it?

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
elliot67 said:
Yes, just get your bike jetted. Once ran with the correct gas mixture and jetting it should run spoogeless.
The user manual says 1:40-1:60 ratio. What do you guys recommend the mix ratio should be?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
jtm994 said:
The user manual says 1:40-1:60 ratio. What do you guys recommend the mix ratio should be?

I run 50:1 on my 03 with Mobil 1 Mx2T synthetic, with non-synth I wouldn't go less oil than 40:1.

And as far as jetting,, did you buy new or used, did you get spare jets with the bike? Does it foul plugs too, if so odds are you pilot jet is rich and needs to be changed to one size smaller. If not you may be fairly close.. I've actually had Yamahas that even when jetted well still managed to spooge. But my Husky and 2 KTMs have alway been pretty clean when jetted right.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
HiG4s said:
I run 50:1 on my 03,,

And as far as jetting,, did you buy new or used, did you get spare jets with the bike? Does it foul plugs too, if so odds are you pilot jet is rich and needs to be changed to one size smaller. If not you may be fairly close.. I've actually had Yamahas that even when jetted well still managed to spooge. But my Husky and 2 KTMs have alway been pretty clean when jetted right.
I bought the bike about a week ago used. The guy i bought it from claimed to of only ridin 1 time. I know nothin about the jetting (about doing it myself). What do you suggest about the spooge? It really isnt alot but i have only ridin it once for about 45 mins so i really dont know how bad it is goin to get.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
If it runs good and doesn't foul plugs I would just leave it and ride for now. Do some study/talk with dudes etc. Once you've been in the bike world (and here at drn)for a while you will gain info on how to jet your bike properly (it's easy) and can do it yourself.
Don't spoil the fun by worrying about a little spooge just yet. Almost all 2 strokes do it straight from the factory.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Some of that is from using a low quality oil. Like spectro. Use a quality Synthetic oil and most of the problem will take care of itself.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
alright guys thanks for the advice. I am going to get a high quality synthetic oil and see how it goes. Should i run the bike at about 50:1? the manual says 40:1 - 60:1 so i figured i would start out running it in the middle to see how it runs.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
If you'd like to take a chance on damaging your crank and any other thing that needs vital oil mix it at 50:1, the fact is the higher in the ratio you mix your gas the richer it will burn, the Pro's before they all move to 4 strokes mixed at 32:1. The higher the rpms you turn the more oil you need. You can get by with higher ratio's if you ride in a way that your not on the pipe. Trials riders tipically mix at higher ratio's because they are not turning the rpm's an MX bike does. Be safe and mix 32:1 and jet it accordingly.
:boss:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
just_a_rider said:
If you'd like to take a chance on damaging your crank and any other thing that needs vital oil mix it at 50:1, the fact is the higher in the ratio you mix your gas the richer it will burn, the Pro's before they all move to 4 strokes mixed at 32:1. The higher the rpms you turn the more oil you need. You can get by with higher ratio's if you ride in a way that your not on the pipe. Trials riders tipically mix at higher ratio's because they are not turning the rpm's an MX bike does. Be safe and mix 32:1 and jet it accordingly.
:boss:

Modern synthetic oils no longer require bigger bikes to run at 32:1,, especially average riders that do not stress the machines like the pros.

AND,,, changing the mix from 50:1 to 32:1 changes the air/fuel ratio by at most 1/3 of a jet size!!!!!!!! And the with modern oils trials riders run 80:1 to 100:1.

And the owner of the KTM shop I bought mine at is an "A Vet" hare scrambles rider. He is much faster and harder on machines than I am and has no problems at 60:1

And finally the factory recommends 40:1 to 60:1. Of couse they only design, engineer, and produce these machines, no reason to think they have any clue what they require. :think:

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
HiG4s said:
Modern synthetic oils no longer require bigger bikes to run at 32:1,, especially average riders that do not stress the machines like the pros.

AND,,, changing the mix from 50:1 to 32:1 changes the air/fuel ratio by at most 1/3 of a jet size!!!!!!!! And the with modern oils trials riders run 80:1 to 100:1.

And the owner of the KTM shop I bought mine at is an "A Vet" hare scrambles rider. He is much faster and harder on machines than I am and has no problems at 60:1

And finally the factory recommends 40:1 to 60:1. Of couse they only design, engineer, and produce these machines, no reason to think they have any clue what they require. :think:

so i really couldnt go wrong with 40:1 - 50:1 if i dont use the bike to its full ability? I would rather not mess with the jetting b/c i have no idea how it all works yet.

Last edited:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
jtm994 said:
about 50% track 50% woods

Actually I ment where in GA,, as I live in Jacksonville FL,, and thought if you ride anywhere in Southern GA, I might be able to meet up with you and give you a hand re-jetting if necessary.

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
HiG4s said:
Actually I ment where in GA,, as I live in Jacksonville FL,, and thought if you ride anywhere in Southern GA, I might be able to meet up with you and give you a hand re-jetting if necessary.
Man that would be great! I ride mostly north of columbus. but I am sure we could figure out somewhere to ride at in south ga. havent been riding long so i am not really dont know of many tracks yet.

Top Bottom