endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Tired of the same old, depressing,boring, fattening Thanksgiving with the cheek-pinching, bear-hugging, cigar-smoking relatives? Why not break the fettered shackles of stodgy tradition and have some REAL fun instead? How about nine days of trail riding, hillclimbing, torture-testing and big campfires?
Many of you have read about the past Thank-n-Spanks in these hallowed halls of writ and fancy(forums), but do you have the guts?
No less than a dozen of us Northwesterners are going this year for the full monty, from November 22nd to the 30th. Many of us have been there many times and make it a point to do this trip every year. Why? You'll see.
The Kiwi has an excellent set of directions somewhere on DRN, I'll work on getting them to this post. This will probably not be a formally organized spodefest, more like a gathering of loonies and their families.
World class technical riding as well as beginner material and lots of mileage make this place great for all skill levels and bikes.
Details are always available, all you have to do is rub the glass on your monitor and the Jawbone Genie will appear!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Directions

From the north end of Mojave at the Autozone 14/58 highway split zero your trip meter.

Take highway 14 north towards Mammoth/Reno

At mile 18.25 turn left at Jawbone Canyon.

Continue past the cattle crossing at mile 22.1 where the road turns to dirt.

At mile 22.7 turn right on to SC176, go across the wash and at mile 22.8 veer left - there is a sign saying SC176 goes straight.

At 22.95 which is basically the first available turn veer right so that the closest hills (colored blue if you are arriving in daylight) are on your left.

Follow around the base of the hill until our camp which is at mile 23.1.

Look for white Dodge Ram with DRN sticker in rear window, green flatbed Dodge with "Gemini Concrete Pumping" on door.

Everyone is welcome. Bring firewood and anything else you need/want to consume.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OK...lemme turn the page in my excuse book... :eek:

Besides the facts that it's too far, I have no vacation, and I still won't be cleared to ride by then...

Whenever I think of riding with you guys, I get the mental image of me, wedged deeply between 3 huge boulders, with birds circling overhead while I get the occasional whiff of woodsmoke and hear the faint sound of inebriated laughter...vaguely similar to that of the guy who's rear fender I saw so many hours ago...

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Excellent imagery Gomer, that actually happened to me once! Be very careful when we say, "Look! You can see our camp from up here!". Cheers, thanks Kiwi.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
"Look, you can see camp from here - how long will it take us to get there?"

"About 2 hours riding, a little less if you're walking"

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I wont be able to attend, I will be in Texas packing on the poultry.

But for those of you in the LA area I will offer free firewood for those that are willing to load their own :flame:

the lumber is scrap fall off from pallet production.
My facility is in the beautiful city of Lynwood CA.

Post here if interested.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I'll be in San Francisco for Thanksgiving so I can't make it for all the fun. But my plan is to leave SF Friday afternoon and head to Jawbone. I should be arriving sometime after 8pm.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Hey Boodac; if you see this, I'm interested in going up on Saturday (carpool?) and possibly staying overnight. I have a very large tent.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
HOT DAMN!!! I live in Ridgecrest, CA (about 30 miles from Jawbone). I ride mostly in Rademacher Hills and Spangler. I haven't ridden in jawbone/dove springs yet, but it's time I do. So, I'll be there, I'll bring the wife and her quad and my son whith his YZ 80. We are not real "fast" riders, but we are willing to hook up with any other families who are into fun more than fear!

Jimbo

homey

Aug 7, 2001
Sounds like a fun place to go instead of the optional Glamis/Ocotillo (I don't want to die this year!). What is the terrain like out there? I ride out at Bell Mountain on a regular basis, is the riding simmilar? I hope to talk some friends into a trip like this one.
Thanks!

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
I have never ridden in jawbone, but I ride near there every weekend so I assume it is the same type terrain. You can expect: dirt road type trails, rocky trails, sand, great hills for climbing, narrow trails, etc. It is a lot of fun with a great deal of variety. I haven't gotten tired of it yet!!

Jimbo

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Okay boys and girls,

The entire Bundy clan will make the scene this year! :yeehaw:
In fact I have procured the use of my buddys toybox trailer and am bringing the whole fam damily!
May need some advice from Bonehead on how to set up the turkey fryier! :flame:

bundy

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll likely be out for an overnighter during the first weekend ... I'm gonna raze every hill you can throw at me ... on my 1 - 2 - 5 !!!!!! :aj:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Don't worry Eel, if you can't make it up the hills we can take you down some with good pucker factor.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Jimbox, I can't believe you've never been to the infamous Jawbone, you could ride to it from your house!
Homey, the terrain is varied but for the most part technical desert canyons. Lots of sand washes in the lower elevations and ridge trails make for good family riding. There are whoops everywhere but they are usually long rollers.
Bundy, we'll be there all week, see what you can do about that. Most of the "high adventure" material will be done during the week.
Eel, first weekend is the best, no one will be there but us. Three years ago I had my KTM200 and cleaned most of the hills, including the Ditch of Doom and the Squid Filter, hint, hint.
Thumbs, try the weekend before. And bring friends, you'll need them to haul off your carcass (because we won't). Cheers!

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by endoquest
Thumbs, try the weekend before.
Ok, I'll be there for both weekends but I'll have to miss the mid week fun.

And bring friends, you'll need them to haul off your carcass (because we won't). Cheers!
I thought you guys were my friends :eek:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
We are your friends.

But since we, like you, will be too busy trying to pick our punished selves up off the rocky vertical walls of skyscraper sized hills, and then clawing our way back to our damaged scraps-heap of a bike, we suggest you bring a sympathetic non-riding friend along so you have some moral support, as we'll clearly be too busy making our own pleas to the Gods that we can safely descend to the bases of hills meant to be climbed by no man or beast.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
This will be my third year at Jawbone and I can't wait to get there!
Hey Bundy The turkey pot is fixed I welded a piece of diamond plate over the hole I burnt in it last year.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey Bonehead, we are lacking in the TEAM WHO(Well Hung Over) department this year, might have to work on that. I'm expecting Scorpa parts today, she's hurt bad but should pull through and make a full recovery, send cards and flowers.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
This is gonna be fun. Are there any facilities at the camping area? Water, Outhouse? or do you need to pack it all in?

BTW, exactly how homeless are you Kiwi? Let me know if you want to borrow the tent. Just kidding! Let us know when you need help moving... :thumb:

Last edited:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
No facilities at all Captain, bring everything you need. We've got the campfire thing covered. New tires are highly recommended(and spare handlebars). Happy trails!

Top Bottom