wizard69

May 3, 2001
Ok I got my seals changed and I put the forks back on it says in the manual to use a tork wrench but I didn't have one so I just tightened them tight but not as tight as I could have will this hurt them?
also the right fork is 1-2 mm higher than the left does this matter?
the bike is a 1990 yz 125
thanx:)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I dont use a torque wrench as long as you are sensible.Adjust them to be the same level-it takes less time than for me to write this.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
If you over tighten it can constrict the fork tube some and then intern parts don't work as well as they should. And of course if you don't get them tight enough things can move that aren't suppose to move.

Marklx

May 24, 2001
If you use a torque wrench, be sure it cost a few hundred dollars. The only bolt (maybe the only one) I've stripped was using a $50 torque wrench. It didn't get an accurate reading due to grease on the threads, and snap. Off to Kawasaki I went. The mechanic there agreed that anything less than $300 is junk.

It isn't that torque wrenchs are bad, just use a good one or don't bother. I've heard that the needle type are more accurate than the click and twist type. My wrist is certified accurate within 3 foot pounds, or maybe that's how much weight I can lift. Don't remember.

I've found that using a good 3/8" socket wrench, you get good leverage, but not enough to break things. My 1/2" socket is used only for axles.

Mark

Mark

Top Bottom