robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I recently discovered that Beef Jerky works well for me as a snack food for practice/races.

Anybody got any killer homemade recipes?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Jerky is a funny thing. What tastes good to you might not necessarily taste good to me. Take me and Rooster. I love the jerky I make. I like Roosters. He loves his and sorta likes mine. We both use the same cut of meat; bottom round. He slices the beef thinner than I do. I think it's fair to say we both make pretty darn good jerky but the flavors of the two are miles apart.

If you have the dehydrator I would say experiment.

Take a look at the ingredients of your favorite jerky. Throw those ingredients in a bowl, marinade the meat, dry, and see what comes out. Then adjust the ratios on the next batch to correct what you perceive is wrong with the current batch.

Start with small batches. Or, take one batch of meat and marinade it in lots with different ratios of ingredients.

then ship samples out to deserving DRNers for reviews :)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Mom likes to make deer jerky after dad has gotten a deer in the winter - it's pretty tasty. Unfortunately, as dad's gotten older, he gets out in the woods later and later in the morning and the deer count has suffered accordingly. ;)

I suppose I'll just start with BBQ. Peppered and Teriyaki are good, too.

Thanks for the pointers, PK.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Papakeith said:
then ship samples out to deserving DRNers for reviews :)

I'll second that motion!!!!!

Rooster's jerky ROCKS OUT! PK's is really good too....but like PK said, two totally different recipes.

I've also discovered this past weekend at Paragon that jerky makes a fabulous trail side snack, it's easy to carry, it won't melt if it's 90 degrees and you're riding in the sun, and it's just all around yummy!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
squeaky said:
I've also discovered this past weekend at Paragon that jerky makes a fabulous trail side snack, it's easy to carry, it won't melt if it's 90 degrees and you're riding in the sun, and it's just all around yummy!

Yea - I can eat a whole $4.00 bag in like 15 minutes. The problem is that I can eat a whole $4.00 bag in like 15 minutes. :ohmy: Plus, my 3 year old daughter LOVES it.

Thus the decision to try making it.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
As a professional DRN reviewer of jerky, I can attest that I like PK's and Roosters all the same. I am involved in the non-profit organization called "Cookies for Jerky" you may have heard of it? :)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
GETMETOCA said:
As a professional DRN reviewer of jerky, I can attest that I like PK's and Roosters all the same. I am involved in the non-profit organization called "Cookies for Jerky" you may have heard of it? :)

:nod: Natties cookies rock too!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Good thing Rob was asking about Sausages :p

JohnWayne22

Jun 8, 2006
I make deer jerky this way and it turns out great.. First of all here are some ingredients you'll need
1)Beef Of course, sliced to however you want it but not to thin, tend to shrink alot when dehydrated
2)Liquid Smoke, get it at wally world
3)A1 steak sauce
4)Terryaki
5)Soy Sauce

Step 1) Put you meat in a bowl or anything to marinade it.
Step 2) Add liquid smoke NOT TO MUCH IT IS VERY STRONG JUST MAYBE 3 TSP
Step 3) Add your sauces. Dont be afraid to drown the meat in them the more the better.
Step 4) Marinade for atleast 4 to 5 hour ATLEAST
Step 5) Put on dehydrator for about 8 - 10 hours just check it and when its ready it will be some of the best jerky you've ever tasted, well in my opinion anywayz

Hope i was helpful
John

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rooster's jerky ROCKS OUT! PK's is really good too
Funny how fast they start idolising the "other man" in their lives, eh PK?

You go all that time, your daughter thinks no one can do "manly" stuff better than her dad.. then suddenly, some kid (well not in Rooster's case) comes along and is somehow "better than dad" at some things. Soon, he works his magic, she's fooled into believing this "male" has it all right.

Pfft. :yell:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
then suddenly, some kid (well not in Rooster's case) comes along and is somehow "better than dad" at some things.

Well, he has had more time than me to get things figured out. :whoa:

Lord I appologize for that right there and please be with them starving pygmie in New Guinnea.

Actually Okie, I agree with Sam. Roosters jerky does have some killer taste to it. One little nibble and you'll be tasting it for a while.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Papakeith said:
Well, he has had more time than me to get things figured out. :whoa:

Lord, forgive me for laughing so hard--I keep thinking this whole age thing will get old... not unlike Lou's 'cheese at home' thing...but it does not. :(

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
GETMETOCA said:

Did you say cookies?

I'm ready for another cookies for jerky swap!!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Okiewan said:
Funny how fast they start idolising the "other man" in their lives, eh PK?

You go all that time, your daughter thinks no one can do "manly" stuff better than her dad.. then suddenly, some kid (well not in Rooster's case) comes along and is somehow "better than dad" at some things. Soon, he works his magic, she's fooled into believing this "male" has it all right.

Pfft. :yell:

I ROCK OUT, and I have it all right. Kicking ass in America is a tough job, but someone has to do it! :nener: :p

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Rooster said:
Did you say cookies?

I'm ready for another cookies for jerky swap!!

You mean we don't have to wait for Crimmus?? I am so IN!! :cool: I'll send mine first in the tupperware. Ship jerky back in same tupperware (same old procedure we use at Crimmus.....but in JULY!!!! Awesome!!! It's Crimmus in July!!! :) )

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rooster said:
I ROCK OUT, and I have it all right. Kicking ass in America is a tough job, but someone has to do it! :nener: :p
and you do it well, my friend

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've had Rooster's jerky. It is awesome. As PK said, a little goes a long way. The flavor just explodes and keeps giving.

Please send some!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom