Just bought 2001 kdx220...won't start

jeba6208

Sep 8, 2005
It looks brand new and I just picked it up today. FMF gnarly pipe with powercore silencer. Reeds changed out to aftermarket. Looks like it has less than 100 miles on it.

Problem is..it won't start. I bought it knowing that and got a great deal. It has been sitting in his garage for a year. He said it ran fine before he parked it.
I drained the gas in the tank and float bowl. I checked the spark plug to make sure it was getting a good spark....but still nothing...Not even an attempt to start....
(A few notes:....the gas tank cap is split and will need to be replaced---shouldn't affect the start should it?)
Could the filter have become so clogged with oil that it is starving the mixture for air?
I take out the spark plug after a few attempts to start it and it is wet.

Any ideas where to start?...I have no clue on this one.
All the best!

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Ship it to me and I'll get it going :). I'll even get it back to you by next summer.

1) fresh gas/oil mix
2) clean filter and re-oil
3) new plug (even if it is sparking)
4) pull carb and clean it. (Doesn't take long to disassemble and clean out with carb cleaner and then put back on). While your in the carb take note of the needle clip position and jet sizes for future tuning reference in case you change your airbox or exhaust. Since you have the aftermarket exhaust, check to see if the carb was rejetted at all. You may also look at pulling/cutting the airbox top.

If still no start after checking fuel, air, and fire then it is time to check the compression and the reeds to see if a top end or something else is needed. These are just my ideas, it sounds like you are getting there.

After I got mine I did the above, except for gas and plug as the previous owner had them done. I cut out more airbox and rejetted the carb and put in new reeds; and now I can go out after letting it sit in the garage for a week and start it on the first kick with no choke. Granted I'll need to rebuild the top end in the next year, but it runs great right now. Keep at it, it is worth it when you get it running right.

jeba6208

Sep 8, 2005
Any ideas on where to find cleaning instructions for the carb. I know nothing about the internals of carbs, but if I can find some instructions I can get it done.

Airbox lid has already been cut. He thinks the carb was rejetted by his friend who also installed the aftermarket reeds and exhaust.
It seems really strange that I am not getting even a little bit of an attempt of the engine to kick over....Dead as door nail.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I forgot to mention to check and make sure the gas is on ;). As for the carb, they are pretty straight forward. Most things only fit together one way.

1) undo the bands that hold the carb in
2) pull carb out
3) unscrew top of carb where cable attaches and the slide and needle will come out. (make sure needle is clean and not pitted or grooved, record where clip is on needle)
4) unscrew 4 bolts holding bowl on
5) note the way the float is installed for installing later and then slide pin out of float hinge
6) check the plug/needle (forgot its name) attached to the float to make sure that the rubber part isn't grooved.
7) using a screw driver and a small socket, remove the two brass jets (one is hex shaped, other is round, about the size of a #10 machine screw)
8) record jet sizes (stamped on jets) and compare this against the stock sizes (call your dealer if you don't know, though I think they are 150 and 45, but don't quote me)
9) unhook all hoses and unscrew the choke lever if you can
10) unscrew the air screw, not to be confused with the idle screw
11) check for any varnish or old gas or plugs, then blast away with some carb cleaner
12) reassemble in reverse order

These carbs are pretty straightforward, at least the 94 ones were. Replace any worn or damaged parts. And while you have the carb out, you may check the reeds. Did your friend who install them, run the bike since installing them?

It sounds like you have spark, this should guarantee fuel, and if the filter is clean you will have air. Last and least likely is if the woodruff key in your stator has sheared and thrown off the spark timing. I've heard of it happening before. Just need to get a stator puller (about 14.00 from the local Honda or kawi shop) and pull it to check. And a new stator cover gasket. Good luck!

jeba6208

Sep 8, 2005
Thanks for all your help.
The seller stated that the bike ran fine after all the mods were done to it. I am going to assume that the reeds can keep a bike from starting if they have a problem. I will look at them also.
I'll have to figure out where the stator is on this thing and check that too.
When I choke the bike and try to start it, it doesn't even attempt to kick over, yet I am getting a good looking spark out of the plug and the plug is wet after attempting to start it. (after cleaning the filter also)
These 2 strokes can be tempermental....but KDX's have always been bulletproof for me, which is what is a real brain teaser on this new bike.
I did find these instructions on the carb
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/floatlevel.html

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
I had mine sit like that. Took a couple of times with the carb off to get everything. You have to remove the main and pilot jets and make sure you can blow compressed air through them without any restriction. On my pilot jet I had to VERY CAREFULLY run a tiny piece of wire up through it to get the gunk out. Don't do that with a drill bit or anything like that or you'll change the bore of the jet. I also made sure I could blow compressed air through all the internal passageways of the carb.

The internal filters on the petcock of the tank were also broken down and clogging the petcock.

Bottom line is there are lots of places the gunk can stick to and you have to have them all cleaned out. If it has spark, air, compression and fuel in close to the right porportions it will start.

jeba6208

Sep 8, 2005
It runs perfectly now. I cleaned the filter, and cleaned the carb. The carb was clean, but it appears that the seller and I may have installed the float incorrectly so that it was constantly putting pressure on the jet below it and not allowing gas to enter the carb. At least that is what I think. Anyways, I did something right, because she runs perfectly now....Thanks everyone!

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Glad to hear that you got it solved! Now you know some of the things to look for if it ever gives you problems again.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
jeba6208 said:
It runs perfectly now. I cleaned the filter, and cleaned the carb. The carb was clean, but it appears that the seller and I may have installed the float incorrectly so that it was constantly putting pressure on the jet below it and not allowing gas to enter the carb. At least that is what I think. Anyways, I did something right, because she runs perfectly now....Thanks everyone!
Ha. That reminds me of this summer when my dad was fixing my brother's XR250. He pulled the carb, completely disassembled it, cleaned it thoroughly (it needed it bad after gas sat in the bike for 2 years and gunked up) and put it all back together. But he just couldn't get it to start. Turns out he kept putting the float in upside down and no gas would fill up in the bowl. We got a good laugh outta that one and my dad was pretty embarrassed for not catching it sooner.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
No worries, everyone here has taken the time to answer my questions at one time or another. Its one of the things that makes the dirtbiking community great.

Top Bottom