Just changed my swingarm bearings and.....

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
SON! While I had my swingarm off (the bearings were toast, by the way), I figured I would hit the suspension linkage bearings with some fresh grease. Was I in for a surprise. Those bearings were in worse shape than the swingarm pivot. The rusty old needle bearing literally fell out on the floor. I had to beat the &%$@ out of the outer races to get them out of the link. Oh well. :ugg:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Racer X said:
I had to beat the &%$@ out of the outer races to get them out of the link. Oh well. :ugg:

A little heat applied will easy the removal.

Cheers..

Buc

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
That's not very uncommon if they are not greased every season or so. You may want to check the stearing head bearings also. Good luck with those because they are pretty expensive.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
Fuzzy Dice said:
Did you just buy the bike or you just never greased them?

I bought the bike second hand. I haven't even riddin it yet, as I need to catch up on about 5 years of neglected PM. At least the engine appears tight, but I'll probably do some kips maintenance too.

I jusy gave up roadracing a Ducati 750SS to eventually get some dirt bikes for the family. I have 2 small kids and don't want to leave them fatherless. We lost 3 folks in our racing org last season, and 1 already this year. All occurred in practice. I haven't ridden in the dirt since 1983- when I had an IT465.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
bcVulcan said:
That's not very uncommon if they are not greased every season or so. You may want to check the stearing head bearings also. Good luck with those because they are pretty expensive.

That's on my list after the suspension. I'm taking the shock in for servicing, and the forks are getting new springs and fluid. I guess I could've paid a little more up front for a newer KDX, but hey, I'm learning a whole lot about this bike as I go through it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom