cq

Feb 6, 2002
After much thought I just picked up a 01 KTM 200. This is my first bike, and I made my decision based on the Forums reviews. I drove it on the street for a test drive and the bike scared me. What can I do (other than throttle management), to control the power. Flywheel, gearing, throttle stop?

Thank you,

CQ

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Careful on the street. No bite for the tires. You may lay it over in a spin out.

I'll lhave to admit, this isn't the best bike to start out on. But since you have now bought it, here's some advice.

You need to slowly get used to this bike before you make any decisions on changing things. Ride it mildly, patiently. Give it lots of respect, because in its genes is race blood.

You said you wanted ideas, other than throttle management. But the throttle is what you need to learn. Position yourself far forward to keep the front end down. And always have your foot ready on the rear break lever to control any unplanned wheelies. Learn to twist the throttle slowly and get the feel of the great control this bike has. If you do what I'm saying, their won't be any hits of power that will surprise and scare you. Once you and the bike get friendly, then get a feel for the power that's right in your throttle hand, but stay positioned forward and be ready to use the rear brake. Get used to this thing. It won't be long and you'll be ready for a 380.

Last edited:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Ride it on the dirt a few times and get back to us. If it's still too nasty of a hit for you we'll start with re-jetting. Do a search if you must find mods now. I love my '00 200EXC bone stock except a new slide and smaller back sprocket - 2 teeth less. I just about wet my pants the first ride too; now I am one with the machine. :cool:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I wasn't a total beginner, but all my prior experience was on a XR 200. It was a BIG step for me. I am still getting used to it. So, what everyone says is right--seat time is the best thing for it. Respect what it can do. I have heard a flywheel weight will smooth it out, although I haven't put one on myself. My bike is 99% bone stock. Different spring, bars, levers, some guards and a new silencer is pretty much it. It's a great bike--you'll have fun!

bergy

Mar 4, 2002
i picked up and rode my new 200mxc on saturday and had the same feelings after being out of the sport for many years. very powerful bike. can't wait to have my pants scared off again on saturday. good luck with your new ride. bergy

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Jetting will smooth it out so after you get a couple tanks thru it jet it up.
needles are 5.00 each thru sudco so its cheap to get good results.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
ditto what fishhead said... jetting cured it for me. My 250 had a nice hit in the midrange, unfortunately I ride primarily woods. I took the the advice of the immortal "james dean" He is the jetting guru. I bought a few single taper needles from sudco, $5 apiece. and they totally transformed the bike. I would do some searches and see what everyone is using on the 200, for my 250 I bought a DDK and CEK and cant say enough good about the results for woods riding. I also dropped one tooth on the C/S sprocket and that helped in the really tight and slow stuff.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
Like the rest of the guys here suggested, jetting is probably the first and cheapest option to smooth out the power.

I just ordered DDJ, DDK, CEJ, CEK & CEL needles from sudco to experiment with.

Top Bottom